i don't fit in a 348/355 targa!! | FerrariChat

i don't fit in a 348/355 targa!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by johng, Feb 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    boo! i sat in a 348 TS at FOW today with its roof stored behind the seats. i was practically making love to the steering wheel! i only fit comfortably without the roof behind the seats...which isn't a realistic way of going about town. i'm 6' tall, so i thought i would fit easily. the 328 fits me great. oh well, i wanted to share in case anyone else was wondering because it caught me by surprise--i thought modern cars were an easier fit. i did, however, fit fine a 348 spider.

john

2. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I have long legs - even I can't sit with the roof behind me. It doesn't matter to me much as I rarely ever remove the roof. :)

3. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Spider it is! That was an easy choice.

Darrell.

4. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    agreed - and I don't fit in the targa's with the roof on, the tb (and 308 GTB's) have just another inch of headroom that works. some of the early tb's seemed to have some really narrow seats not designed for even thin Americans.

Where 348 Spiders are just perfect, with head, leg, and hip room.

5. Armenhaz

Armenhaz Karting

Nov 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I am 6 feet tall and barely fit with the top behind the seats. I can drive but it does not feel as comfortable as with the top back over my head. Sometime I feel I should of gotten a tb, but the car has been very trouble free, so I feel I can live with the ts and a little water leaks. The ts also has a better resale value, I think.

6. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    it happened to me too !!! 348 top behind the seat --- forget about it !!!!
    i bought a 328 about a yr and ahlf ago- sold it 3 days later- i couldnt fit in the frigin car period !!!

7. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    hey virge, that profile pic you got is um...interesting..

8. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    don't make fun of his wife.

9. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    oops, my bad. :D

10. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    lol lol lol lol

11. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    thats an old pic- was taken a yr ago. there bigger now

12. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    You getting a 355 or what?? At the rate you buy and sell cars--If you go with 355's I could have all the registry info done in 2 months...

13. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    lol lol lol, im not sure--- im thinkig 348 spider too......... im confused .......

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I am 6'2 and was a very tight fit in a 308GTS. Apparently 308GTB has more interior room. Same goes for 348TS. Roof behind seat, forget about it. Get a 348TB. ;) Plenty of room in there. :):)

15. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    ** I once owned a Ferrari 348ts in which I experienced the same dilemma that you did. I was too tall and too fat for my 348! With the seat all the way back to the firewall I was totally cramped. With the roof in place I had a half inch of headroom but could at least drive. With roof panel off and behind the seats, I could not drive the car. I found a collapsible roof piece at a local Ferrari dealership for $1500.00. It folded up and stowed behind the seats on that tiny shelf, so I made the purchase. I drove my car all over the countryside like this and loved every mile, until ...
    One day it rained ... and to my surprise, my $1500.00 top allowed me to get drenched on the left side. So here we go again.
    I had my hard top prepped and painted red to match the body of the Ferrari. Then it resembled the TB model. I decided to leave the top on the car and drive it as a coupe.
    Remedy ... 1. buy a TB model and have the seat bottom modified to allow you more headroom 2. buy a 348 Spider. 3. check out the 355. I experienced that the 355GTS had more leg room, shoulder room and with the top behind the seats, more of a pleasant seating position due to the newer designed seats.
    Good luck with your search
    FM

16. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    I am 6 ´3´´ and store the roof in the garage. Have to put my left foot under and behind the clutch pedal though. Otherwise my leg falls asleep.

However it is worth suffering.

The TR is even worse because there is no headroom.

Snowing here today..........and how much fun is that?

Cheers,

B

17. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    hi bengt, the TR has little headroom, but it also has more legroom. snow is no fun! we had a ton of snow here in february...can't wait for spring!

hey family man, is that collapsible roof a factory piece, or did the dealership order it from somewhere?

john

18. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm 6'2 and have no problems with legroom, with or without the top stored behind the seats.Loads ot headroom with the top on as well.Had no problems with my 308 either.

19. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I leave the top at home in the garage. It isn't very comfortable driving with it behind the seats.

20. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    348 Spider is a stunning car, and it's the debugged version of the car. Go buy one, problem solved.

I'm glad I'm 5'7". I can store all the local Ferrari owners' targa tops behind my seat in the 328 and still ride in La-Z-Boy style.

21. 348holland

348holland Formula 3

Dec 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    #21 348holland, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ferrari offered it for the 348 and 355, it was very expensive.

Ricambi said that they would remake it in cooperation with Hill engineering, didn't hear from them.

I found some pictures (355 version) on e-bay (just bought one myself, didn't use it yet).

It's quite rare only 1 or 2 on e-bay per year, they reach about $ 1000.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #22 Ingenere, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tisk, tisk........you see, these cars are Italian

........and they are meant for little Italians.....like me! :)

5'5".....135

I fit in some other go fast stuff as well!

23. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    That is an outstanding TS roof. Nice purchase. Very clever.

24. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Little fella............nice toy! :D:D
    Are you a pro race car driver? Or is that a weekend toy? :):)

25. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    A few years ago, I bought a 348TS; much more room than a 308/328, but still tight, as I'm 6'3". Installing a steering wheel spacer made a WORLD of difference, as it gave my legs greater clearance (the bottom of the wheel would no longer hit my thighs).

My 355s are even better, though dimensionally it is very similar to the 348. The seat is much more comfortable than the 348 seat and is DEFINITELY not as tight, side-bolster wise, in the thigh area. On the 348, on long drives, the tall bolsters would cut into my thighs and pinch a nerve; the 355 does not do that. The side-bolsters along the torso are adjustable. Another big advantage of the 355 is that there is a cutout for the center console (where the climate control and cubbyhole is on the 348), leaving enough room to angle my right knee into the opening. Makes a lot of difference. I've driven 500 mile days in the 355 without fatigue; couldn't quite do that in the 348, and no way I could have done that in a 328. Lastly, even with a helmet, I can still fit in the 355.

Like Family Man and 348Holland, I bought that folding fabric top that fits the 348 *and* the 355 Targa. I paid $300 for it used. No less waterproof than the hardtop (translated -- some leakage around the side windows), lots more headroom with the top **ON**, and it collapses to fit on the shelf behind the seats, so you don't have to scootch the seat up. It was the single best accessory for the 348ts, as the hardtop ON left no margin between my head at the top, and with it OFF, the seats had to be pushed forward enough to stow it that my knees were somewhere above the turn signal switch.

This top was, to my understanding, a Ferrari North America option, not a factory option, but I'm unsure. Check around; dealerships may have a few laying around, as well as the usual suspects like T Rutlands.

vty,

--Dennis