308 Interior Colors | FerrariChat

308 Interior Colors

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jammin', Feb 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch
    I apologize if this has been covered before, but I've spent way too much time searching and not finding.

I have a 1981 GTSi that I believe was originally a black interior but now has tan seats and door panels. It has black carpet in the the interior and trunk and black headliner. I'm planning to replace my carpet and console cover and probably the headliner too to go with the tan seats.

Was the console always the color of the seats? I've seen both matching and contrasting. On tan interiors, was the trunk carpet tan as well? Was the zippered trunk cover black or tan? Was the headliner and rear shelf cover always the light color with a tan interior?

I'm also missing an interior part that I can't find in the parts book. It's a chrome cover that is not the door sill plate but sits inside the door seal. I'm missing the one on the passenger's side. I've tried ordering the part and twice have ended up with the aluminum sill plate instead. On most pictures, I see the area is covered with carpet and there is no plate. I have the plates on my car as does a friend with a '78 GTS. There's a car on Ebay right now (my picture reference site) with the plates shown here:

http://i23.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/8a/1e/9c39_3.JPG

Thanks for any help!

2. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch
    Okay, I've ordered the Ferrari restoration guide so I can find out the answers for myself, but it hasn't arrived yet. It appears that the trunk carpet was always black regardless of the other interior colors. Does anyone know if this is correct?

3. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    I have tan seats with brown dash and brown carpet... black trunk.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've never seen an original interior with contrasting console and seat leather.

The console leather is not as easily bought aftermarket, and it tends not to wear as much as the seats do, so I could easily imagine someone installing new seat covers and door panels and leaving the console as-is. If you're missing the cavallino emblems embossed in the headrests, you have aftermarket seat covers. If it's there, you may have NOS seat covers. Lots of possibilities in a car that old.

The plate in the eBay photo looks aftermarket. I believe the original chrome there was quite narrow, and then replaced with rubber in the later cars (QVs).

5. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    The plate Robert is looking for is on page 8 of the Ferrari Dino book by Alan Henry. It apperars to be a GTS but not a GTB part. We need the sill plate inboard of the door seal. If someone finds this part I can get his car out of my shop.
    Cheers,
    Tom

6. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch
    Actually, you're not going to get off that easily. I've been buying more parts ;-).

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I've got the polished plates on my '78 as well. It's just a piece of polished stainless. If you can't find it, try going to a sheet metal shop. Would be a very easy piece to make. They may not be able to polish it up to the required shine but any good plating or even body shop should be able to. If you need dimensions let me know.

By the way....Where did you find the aluminum sill plates at? All I've been able to find are repro stainless ones that don't fit!!

John

8. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch
    I didn't order the plates. I'll check and see where they came from.

Here's the plate I'm missing again:

http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/8d/d5/1e35_1.JPG

I really need a passenger side one. There's no carpet under the plate.

9. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch
    As I look at more pictures of same-model interiors, I think perhaps the plate may be omitted when the interior is re-carpeted. If I can't find the plate, perhaps I will do the same.

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't see how you could omit it unless you filled in the gap that it covers. I'd have to look at a car without it to see what the difference is though.

Like I said above though it's only a piece of polished stainless with three small breaks or bends in it. Check with a local sheet metal shop. If they can get anything that shiny it would be very simple to bend up. The driver side and passenger side should be the same, just different hole locations.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    On my early cars the console is black in both black or crema seat treatments...