The End of the Bling | FerrariChat

The End of the Bling

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Horsefly, Mar 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Is anybody else looking forward to the day that common sense prevails and the proponants of the Bling era will wake up one morning and realize that the crooked hat wearing, wide chrome wheeled, rap singing, gangsta imitatin' , thumpin' stereo lifestyle is just one step above a little kids "Big Wheel" tricycle on the scale of maturity and social acceptability? Somewhere there is a salvage yard filled with old 70s vintage vans that are stacked with bell bottom pants and 8 track tapes buried among the orange shag carpeting. That salvage yard should start making more room for the "Bling mobiles" that will start falling out of favor when their owners either grow up or go to prison.

Is there anything uglier than a 4 door car with idiotic ultra tall, ultra wide, gaudy chrome wheels sporting tires that cost more money apiece than the entire car itself is worth?

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    NAH man, this style be cool yo!!

Aren't the spinners getting banned some places now?

3. 308dino

308dino Rookie

Jun 15, 2004
    Hollywood Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Dino
    +1

4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    It won't end, it'll just die out as the next fad comes into style.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Thats right. Will go out of style, then come back around in 20yrs time. Always happens. :):)

6. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
  7. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    this stff is gonna look hilarious in 20 years!

8. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    #8 BigAl, Mar 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    uptight honkey mo-fo!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    The gold, diamonds, crazy hats and fake teeth will die out, but the chrome and large wheel sizes are here to stay...."dubs" are not just a fad, they are a function and evolution of automotive engineering and design.

10. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

11. TopCloser

TopCloser Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    Sorry, but benefits from larger wheels stop at around 18 - 19 inches. In fact, 17 does the job absolutely fine. "Dubs", regardless of what your ghetto associates tell you, have absolutely no function beyond being being tacky.

12. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    I was at a friend's shop yesterday having the Air Fuel mixture on my 930 tested. He owns a local speed shop and also fabs up customs and offroad vehicles...

Anyhow, I walked into the shop area and there it was: an early 80's Caprice with the BIGGEST wheels I have EVER seen IN MY ENTIRE LIFE on any vehicle with the exception of a big rig. The car could not have cost more than a couple hundred dollars, did NOT run, was NOT painted, yet the owner had installed Gucci (yeah, you heard right, GUCCI) interior, headliner, and top covering. The car was an aweful color primer (I later found out that he was going to have the car painted some hue of candy gold). My buddy had fabricated the doors so that the rears opened in a suicide fashion, and the front doors opened Lambo style. Needless to say, I could NOT believe my eyes. They further had to modify the suspension extensively to fit these huge wheels. The car, and this is not an exaggeration, was about the same height as your average 4x4 Chevy or Ford.

When the guy showed up, I asked him how much he paid for the wheels, and he told me the wheel and tire package cost him a little more than $20,000!!!!

By the time he is done with all the fabrication, paint, stereo (with 10 screens) wheels, tires, door mods, etc., he estimated that he will have spent way more than 50k on a $500 car that DOES NOT RUN!!!

I could barely contain my laughter.

13. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Are you telling me that the OEM 22" wheels on the 2007 Escalade, and the 20" wheels on the F-150 look tacky? And perhaps the 20" wheels on the CL65 AMG look disgusting to you? And the 20" wheels on the Range Rover Sport are horrible...?

It sounds like you prefer the 'ghetto' style....Wake up, you're in 2007 buddy.

14. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I never really understood this either. Best theory on the matter I've heard came from a bartender friend of mine. His friend(also a bartender) had a nice little side business going selling pot. He was pulling in an extra grand a week. Problem is, he was afraid to invest the money, bank it, use it to buy a house etc..., because he didn't want the IRS knocking on his door. So, he bought an old car and started dumping money in it.

Yes.

I specifically ordered 18" wheels on my F-150 King Ranch due to the fact that I actually drive it off road. I know I'm NOT alone. Among people who use SUVs and trucks for utility purposes rather than an elevated stage to show off the latest in 7" LCD technology 20"+ wheels are rather useless.

15. TopCloser

TopCloser Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006

Hmmm...great tactic. But, to answer your question, YES, I think the 22" wheels on the Escalade look tacky. In fact, I think the entire concept of the Escalade is tacky. Perhaps that's because I'm from SoCal, and the only people who I've seen showing off their $75,000 fancy Suburbans are tacky.

However, the original conversation was not regarding the effectiveness of "dubs" (as you so classily called them) on trucks, but cars. Furthermore, a CL65 does not do a very good job of representing the "function of evolution and automotive design". Enzos, Carrera GTs, Veyrons, McLaren F1s fit that bill, and as far as I know, they're not "rollin' deep on dubs yo".

Automotive trends that burn the hottest fade out the quickest.

16. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    SUV= Sport Utlity Vehicle.

They give you a wheel size option depending on what "utility" you are using it for.

17. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Yes, please God. And the sooner that day comes, the better!

18. TopCloser

TopCloser Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006

And there is no "utility" in 20" wheels, except for the utility of vanity.

19. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    no there is futlilty! ;)

Jeep put the FU in futility

20. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    All these lame opinions don't matter, car companies put 20" wheels on SUV's because thats what helps to sell them, regardless of "vanity" or "utility".

The manufacturers are giving the public what they want, and the fact is shiny SUV's are being used more for vanity, function and style, rather than off-roading and rock climbing.

21. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    There is utility! It provides less rubber = less flex.

The Maybach Exclerlereloeleoeloeo has 23" rims, it's a testing car for Fulda tires.

22. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    No argument there. You're right, precious few SUVs and trucks see a dirt road, much less off-road. I remember how refreshing it was when gas was over $3.00 to see fewer and fewer of these Mall Cruisers with each passing day. Place me firmly in the anti-bling, here's to hoping gas shoots to $6.00 a gallon group.

As to looks, while I won't call anyone's opinion lame, there's no question that looks are subjective. If floats your boat, enjoy it. I'm sure plenty of people find my 33" Super Swampers equally obnoxious.

23. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Hey Top and Ricky,

Word,,, a Maybach w/ 23"s has brakes,, that can handle the greater Polar Moment of Inertia. (back to school children.)

If you put 20" shoes (rims) on your Z71 Chevy Truck,,, and, Don't upgrade the brakes (dumb),,,,, you are going to rear-end somebody.

Doooogggg.

24. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    #24 TG, Mar 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got DUBZ on my Mercedes DAWGG. Does that make me MaliBU's most wanted? Whatchu got?

and Larger wheels??? 17's DO THE JOB??? you need to start playing with fire every once in awhile

Your saying these cars look bad?

25. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    On the Rovers and H2, IMO, yes, they look like a$$. Wouldn't be my choice on any of the other cars either, yours included, but they look OK.