Birdman's Fuse Blocks | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Birdman's Fuse Blocks

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jbryant, Feb 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    That is definitely the weak link in the injected cars. (The fuel pump in the carb cars doesn't draw as much current and isn't as bad.) More people in injected 308s are stranded because of the fuel pump fuse than anything else. Even our great leader Verell once had to get out and push (with his wife!) when his fuel pump circuit stopped working.

The carb cars seem to melt on the right side of the right fuseblock on the circuit that drives the radiator fans (and the injected cars often melt this circuit as well).

Birdman

2. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #27 Pizzaman Chris, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Hey Birdman, I guess we are all going to have to bow down to you at the next Route 1A "Coffee Clatch." Well done. Wish my car's electrics could use your straight forward solution. The whole Community thanks you for your service.

Sam

4. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    One question on these: How are GT4 guys like myself supposed to actually get to the fuses?? The ones in mine are buried somewhere deep behind the glove compartment. Top wires sticking out inside the glove compartment, bottom ones nearly impossible to reach...

All I see is those neat photos with everything neatly exposed (guess that's on the GTB/GTS).

Any GT4 jockeys out there who can comment on this?

Thanks

Hans

(1974 308GT4)

5. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Someone mentioned replacing relays as well as fuses - I second that, but two points:

1. There are relays on the Jetronic Computer board (right rear trunk well) - one of them, on the newer cars, is a special Lambda relay. It can be sourced from a Porsche 928, but it ain't cheap: $120. This area can be subject to moisture/corrosion, so you might want to look back there.....

2. Be VERY careful re-inserting relays to the relay board on the dash - pushing relays IN can also push the connector leads on the rear of the relay board OUT, resulting in poor contact with the relay pins themselves.

6. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Thanks. Hadn't thought about that and I am about to change out my dash relays.

Joe

7. roccopof

roccopof Karting

Jul 10, 2006
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    I installed Birdman's fuseblock in my '75 GT4. It took a lot of patience to work in the cramped glove compartement, but it's possible. Have'nt had any electrical issues since.

Rocco

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I have never installed them myself in a GT4 so I have no idea how tricky it is. I can say that I'm told there is a lot less space to work in there!!

Birdman

9. roccopof

roccopof Karting

Jul 10, 2006
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    #34 roccopof, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    The later series gt4s have the fusebox relocated to underneath the glove box rather than in/behind it. Very easy access and plenty of room to work.

11. Paul308

Paul308 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm ordering my Birdman fuseblocks for my '85 GTS QV. The fuel pump fuse blew on me last summer so clearly I want to do what I can to improve the electrical system in my car. Besides, it's a fun hour long project and this is one that I don't have to climb under the car to do! :)

Paul

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Just do it!!! Amazing how just cahnging to Birdman's will upgrade things in many ways.

13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How would you know what amp to use for each slot, Is this info in the OM? Sorry for the dumb question.

14. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Mine is a 1974 series 1, so indeed in/behind it.

Just wondering if it would be possible to relocate the boxes myself... I guess I'd have to see about that.

Thanks

Hans

15. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think the fuse sizes are listed on the inside of the fuse cover.

16. John Harry

John Harry Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2005
    Pittsburgh PA
    Full Name:
    John Harry
    For my ’83 QV the amps for each fuse are on the fuse box covers and also in the Owner’s Manual.

17. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks John

18. fishing

fishing Karting

Sep 3, 2006
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Harald
    Does the fuse box covers fit to Birdmans fuse block?

19. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    You mean the clear plastic ones? No...unfortunately not. If you mean the actual portion of the *dash* that the fuseblocks hide behind, it still fits without issue.

20. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Rocco, thanks for the cool pic.

Birdman