Color name of Grigio Ingrid | FerrariChat

Color name of Grigio Ingrid

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by prance, Mar 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    Does anyone know the actual in-period name and manufacturer of the color on the 1954 375MM built for Roberto Rosselini? I know it is now known as Grigio Ingrid but I am sure that was not the name on the paint can. I am painting my 330GTS and am looking into Grigios for it. It was originally Grigio Argento but I am entertaining other ideas.

2. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    No sure what the old paint code for that color would be.

If your car is an early (approx. mid-69) production 330 GTS, the Grigo's for it probably are:

Grigio Argento 20.265/25.090
    Grigio Ferro 106.E.8
    Grigio Fumo 20.294
    Grigio Notte 106.E.28

For a later car:

Grigio Argento 2.443.048
    Grigio Le Sancy 2.443.009
    Grigio Orthello 2.448.813
    Girgio Mahmoud 2.443.931

The "8" in x.xx8.xxx in Grigio Orthello looks a bit suspect, but maybe it's ok.

I'm sure someone on FerrariChat probably has an original paint chart somewhere.

Steve

3. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    Hello Folks,

The original color of the 375 MM that was build for Roberto Rosslini / Ingrid Bergmann was a light blue.

The wonderful grey was painted in a restoration in the 70's a was a colour from GM (I think for the corvette).

Grigio Ingrid is a markteing name. Ms. Bergmann never saw her 375 MM in this colour.

Hope this helps. Information is from magazine "FerrariWorld". Details tomorrow if noone else replies.

Till

4. Fontana

Fontana Karting

Dec 30, 2006
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Peter Markowski
    Ferrari color "Dino Silver" is very "alive" similar to DB-180 Mercedes Benz 300 SL color.

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    The Rosselini 375s are my favorites.

Regards,

Art S.

6. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    Back again.

The source of my information is a readers letter in the german issue Nr. 49 of FerrariWorld. The author is Sven Girgensohn from Badenheim, Germany:
    "....the chosen colour is from a then original colour-palette for the Chevrolet Corvette of GM."

Perhaps this helps...but painting a Ferrari in a GM-colour?

Till.

7. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I've heard she never even took delivery of the car, let alone drive it. Is that true?

8. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    I've heard that too...
    But it's such a nice story to tell: a wedding present for Ingrid.

If you search 0456 AM, the sn of this car you find this older thread:
    What Else Do We Know About 0456AM?

Interessting post of MJarretR (sorry, I don't know how to link to a certain post):

Hi Wayne,

Here is some info that I have on the period of 0456AM's history that you are interested in.

54/july/17 - entered "P F" plant
    54/oct/17 - Paris Show car
    54/dec/27 - Roberto Rossellini, Italy for $6,000 (Ingrid Bergman never took delivery)
    57/apr/15 - John Treadwell, Rome, Italy
    57/june - John Koontz, San Francisco, CA
    .. - Ron Hill, Denver, CO
    60 - Harry Woodnorth, Chicago, IL
    61 - Doris Schleicher, Oak Park, IL
    68-78 - sat in Hal Ulrich's shop in Evanston, IL. awaiting restoration
    78 - Wayne Golomb, Springfield IL

I believe that when Mr. Golomb got the car it had not been restored at all up to that point, however, you would need to check with Mr. Golomb on that point. I'm not sure who he had do the full restoration after he bought it, but Wayne Obry's Motion Products has been doing all the work on the car recently. Hope that helps

-Jarrett

Aaron Pan likes this.
  9. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Yes, nice "story" indeed. They married in 1950, so unless he was really late, not possible. The Paris Salon was Oct 7-17, 1954 and he registered the car in December. It's unlikely he bought the car for her as she hated his Ferraris and said so to family members.

He'd wrecked his 375MM (0402) so perhaps the car was a "replacement" until it was repaired. The only custom coachwork he is known to have ordered was the Scaglietti replacement body for 0402.

T308

Aaron Pan likes this.
  10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Precisely!

To clarify:

1. The car wasn't built for Ingrid Bergman or even with her in mind... nor was it built for Roberto Rossellini.

2. Rossellini purchased the car soon after it made its debut at the 1954 Paris Salon.

3. Rosselini did take delivery (while married to Ingrid Bergman) and drove the car often. Whether or not Bergman ever drove or rode in the car is unknown. To quote Rossellini's neice, Fiorella Mariani, "Ingrid did not care much for Roberto's Ferraris and, as far as I know, never received one as a present. I think that perhaps my uncle bought the car for her as a father would buy an electric train for a son, for the pleasure of playing with it himself." (The Passion of Roberto Rossellini, Pete Vack, Forza issue #22, April 2000)

11. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    Steve, It's Grigio Ortello (without the "h") and it is, as you suspected, 2.443.813 . The color can be seen in Post 7 of the thread, "365 GT 2+2 Restoration Questions". That's in the Vintage section also. I don't know how to link to posts.
    Tom Kizer

12. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Very interesting but it sparks the question: Why did 0456AM became known as the Ingrid Bergman Ferrari? It is clear she never even owned it and probably never drove it. Sure, the car was owned by her famous movie-directing husband, but why isn't it known as the other Rossellini-Ferrari then?

Did mr Rossellini himself say he bought the car for Ingrid Bergman?

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    My personal favorite is grigio fumo. It looks stunning with lighter leather (parchment?), dark red carpets and black top.

Jack

14. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    It's all about "Star Power". Rossellini was a name, Bergman was a face. Beautiful car=Beautiful woman. Beautiful car NOT= Balding Italian Director with diminishing skills and irregular morals.

T308

15. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    But no one would ever call 0402AM the Bergman-Ferrari. That one is always referred to as the Roberto Rossellini car, allthough 0456AM apparantly has had as much to do with Ingrid Bergman as 0402AM has.

16. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    Do you have any referrences or pictures of Grigio fumo. I also think it may be an interesting color. Slightly darker than Argento. This research is dificult since most of the modern renditions of these colors are just guesses by painters.

17. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    My 330 GT was originally grigio fumo. It's basically a battleship or machine tool gray. Actually looks great on a 330 with a red interior. Can't wait to get mine back to the original color from its current "sell me" red.

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'd describe fumo as more of a graphite color. Battleship would be a lighter shade I think.

Jack

19. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    Can anybody confirm the statement, that the actual color of 0456 AM was from the Corvette palette?
    Is it a myth, a guess or a fact?

20. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    So have we decided that the color of the Rossellini car is currently Grigio Ortello or 1970's corvette grey?

21. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    Hello GTE,

was this just a correction of the spelling in Steves listing or do you have hints that 0456 AM was painted in Grigio Ortello?

Very nice color indeed. Espacially on this 365 GT 2+2

Till

22. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    I'm sorry for the confusion. I was just providing the correct spelling and confirming that Steve was right in suspecting the number he had for Grigio Ortello was wrong. I have no knowledge of the color of 0456 AM. Thanks for the compliment on the color of my car, although many people who don't know Ferraris think because it's not red, it must be an old "Jaguar". I hate when that happens.
    Tom Kizer

23. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    Tom

really nice car. Love the wheels.
    I don't like Borranis with cars of that time.
    Even on a 275 GTB I'd prefer these.

I'm really sorry for you with that Jaguar-Thing.
    I'd hate that too...

No news on the colour of 0456 AM?
    I think Wayne Ausbrooks tried to contact the owner some time ago.

Till

24. scottevestceo

scottevestceo Karting

Apr 16, 2023
    Full Name:
    Scott Jordan