VIDEO OF A EURO FIBERGLASS 308 IN ACTION... | FerrariChat

VIDEO OF A EURO FIBERGLASS 308 IN ACTION...

Discussion in '308/328' started by RAMMER, Mar 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
  2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'd say about 50% better - and that's not to take anything away from the fine sound of that 308! :)

3. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch
  4. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    The first one was boooo-ooooring and the second one was a waste with the music playing. Why can't people just leave the videos frickin' alone and allow the sounds of the car to be heard? :bangheadagainstwall:

5. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch
    Each to his own, but what can you expect from a head banger!?!

6. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I was only listening to the engine noise!

7. PARKERDAVE

PARKERDAVE Karting

Feb 24, 2007
    MURCIA
    I like everything from 208,308,328. thanks a lot for them videos!!!

8. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Yeah how many more frikin' times we gotta hear that Jimi Hendrix riff? It's only been on the radio all over the country for 30+ years now. Now it's gotta be heard over the sound of a 308?

9. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    These videos make me crazy. It's always of some dude shifting through the gears. Then they decide to downshift from fourth to third. They make the shift, clutch is in for three seconds while the engine RPM drops to idle, where it stays for about two seconds, then they sloooooooowly let the clutch back out and the clutch slips a bit as the engine comes back up to revs.

These people need to learn how to drive. These are not Ford Tauruses. Seriously. It's called a double-clutch downshift and you MATCH the revs of the target gear by blipping the throttle with the clutch fully released (i.e. no foot pressure on the pedal). This can be done especially beautifully on these cars, particularly on the 4th-to-3rd downshift. When done properly, this results in the least wear on both the clutch and the syncros, and also does not upset the car's balance due to no unexpected braking effect / slowing down as the engine comes back up to revs as the clutch is released.

Vent over. Car sounded nice, guy just needs driving lessons.

10. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

AMEN!!!!! The first video was so lame the guy should be, quite frankly, embarrassed for driving like a girl. Scratch that, i know a few girls who drive faster/better. i feel bad for his car, a waste.

Here are some videos i hope u like http://www.enjoythetrack.com/video/

11. tifosi308

tifosi308 Karting

Jul 1, 2005
    Midwest
    Wouldn't the clutch be engaged to match revs??

12. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    This is a serious comment. How do you learn how to "blip"/double-clutch like the way you describe? And do you "blip" when you upshift?

I ask because I've heard alot about this, but when I practice (on my non-Fcar, but hey, I'm still looking), I can't EVER seem to get it right.

Any pointers on how to practice would be great.

James in Denver

13. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    First, I certainly meant no offense to anyone! I had no idea how to do this when I first got my 308 either. This lucky guy probably *just* got the car and is still feeling things out!

So, when talking about clutches, there is ambiguity in terms of "engaged". When your foot is down on the pedal applying pressure, the clutch is disengaged.

Here's the clincher. Matching RPMs with the clutch disengaged is pointless! The whole idea is to re-engage the clutch (remove your foot) with the car in neutral, *THEN* blip the throttle. This is the key. So you'll exceed the target RPM by just a hair, because you'll quickly depress the clutch pedal (disengage the clutch), drop it in gear (which will go in smoothly because you're not asking to syncros to match speed differential anymore, because you brought the speed up as a result of revving the engine with the clutch engaged!), finally releasing the clutch which should not affect the car's balance because the engine is at just the right speed.

Practice makes perfect! It's a bit harder to do on these cars because it takes a second to get the revs up (there's a bit of "throttle lag") - reducing/eliminating back pressure (Cats, OEM exhaust) helps here.

Here's the test. Look at your passenger when you do this. There should be no "leaning forward" indicative of sudden deceleration when you do this.

It takes a lot of time to get it right! Might want to learn on a honda :).

14. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    While were on the subject of sound, there seems to be enough difference in sound between the 8 cyl and 12, so.....all else being equal, dont the carb cars (76-78) 308's sound better than the FI ones of later years even comparing them to the more fancy 8 and 12 cyl FI?

Thanks,
    Joe

15. buschi

buschi Rookie

Feb 19, 2007
    Munich/Germany
    On my first ride in germany with my 308qv, a friend "tried" to take a video of a 0 to 100 km/h acceleratin....
    I said "tried" because when the engine reached the 4,5k rpm the microphone of his camera turned off because of the beatiful screaming from 1 foot behind!!!
    it was actually too much noise for his camera ;-)