Pontiac GTO (Monaro) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pontiac GTO (Monaro)

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by FarmerDave, Mar 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    There's more to life than horsepower, my friend.

2. Daytona Drew

Daytona Drew Karting

Feb 12, 2007
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I couldn't call 350 or 400 hp dull. The styling was bland, but I haven't found any beauty or grace in the deisgn of the 3 or 5 series. The Monaro was not a perfect car nor was it an outstanding value ($32,000+ new), but the current price range used GTOs are going for places them as one of the best picks for their price range. They offer plenty of power and solid handling. GM would have had fewer problems with the Monaro if it had not carried the "GTO" moniker in North America.

You're wrong about the dull car sales: the Cobalt, Impala, Buicks, Saabs, and G6s have all had sales. They have been selling in fair volumes--albeit it heavily discounted. Sales, no less.

3. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Personally, I don't think the GTO is a nice car.
    It's got power, but lacks style.
    They should have made it look unique and not like a Grand Prix on steroids.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think the new 3 and 5 series are awkward looking, so no defense here...

I would say it's also hard to muster much of defense of the GTO by saying that it depreciates like milk and therefore it's a great value. It is cheap on the secondary market because not enough people want one unless it's a deal.

I'm sure they have sold some of these cars. But heavy discounts and sales at a loss don't speak well of the product.

Are you saying these cars have been successful? Buick seems to be in a death spiral.

5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    There's soo much better out there than the GTO for the money. If you must go American, coupe, and 6 speed and have the sleeper look, it'll do I guess.

6. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    Don't think they ever produced GTOs in the states, they were all made in Australia!

but GTO vs Mini, two completely different cars built on completely different philosophies. Just saw the Italian Job (remake) on TV last night, minis don't look too bad.

7. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Im mostly an American car guy with some euro's thrown in there every now and again. For 26k you could buy a C5 Corvette which would make an excellent daily driver. If you can spend more money you could always go C5 Z06 or C6 route.

Good luck,
    Nate

8. wavram

wavram Karting

May 8, 2005
    Chicago
    Such as?

I'm seriously considering one for my next car. Yes, it looks dull and perhaps immature with the hood scoops. But it is a lot of fun. It has a lot of power, makes a great noise, has a nice steering feel (which is very unusual for GM), a good interior, and excellent seats.

9. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The modern GTO is a very nice car. I had an opportunity to drive an '06 with automatic and the car was a lot of fun. The interior is very well done at its price point and the build quality was very good, besting my CLK430 of more than a half decade ago. The styling is not offensive and it is every bit as appealing as a new 5 series which, granted, is not saying very much.

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Join the Cobra crowd. An '03 or '04 is easily within your price range. I'm not a Mustang guy or even a Ford guy, but having been in the GT and seat time in the Cobra, the build quality for the SVTs is much better. Aftermarket is superb. The GTO is getting a very nice redesign in '08 but it doesn't sound like you would like to wait.

I'm biased towards European cars. The XJR in my profile pic was $11k and is putting out 350/425 hp/tq crank (20% driveline loss) with 3psi over, neck jerking shifts and solid reliability (if you want to spend 1-2k a year preventative maintenance). Its comfy, 200lbs heavier, and has a 50/50 weight balance making it surprisingly fun in the canyons. 2500 came into the US and only 400 in '95, so ya don't see them every day. Compared to the GTO its still a fun car and a heck of a lot less expensive.

How fixated are you on getting American? Which still stands a chance of being made outside the USA? lol

11. wavram

wavram Karting

May 8, 2005
    Chicago
    I'll check out the Cobra. I've only driven Mustang GT's before. They're fun, but I much preferred the GTO.

The XJR is an interesting choice, but I don't really want one. My mom had Jags all while I was growing up, and I think that's given me a permanent dislike for them (unfair though that may be to the newer models).

Also, I'm not fixated at all on buying American (er, Australian). I own a Mercedes, and have been considering trading it for another one instead of a GTO. Maybe a 500E, or something like that.

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    You can really feel the difference in construction between the GT and the Cobra. From the body, interior (while still remaining generic), engine, and drive line it feels like a more solidly built car and more what you would expect from the GT. It would be a good alternative.

The VW GTI is very comparable to the Mini S and has an enormous aftermarket. If you lean towards the more practical, the S4 is a lot of car for the money.

13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I can only think of one thing....

14. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    GM isnt selling them anymore, but you can pick up a used one cheap. Its unfortunate we dont get them in Canada.

15. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    The 03-04 cobra was powered by a 4.6 dohc with a eaton blower. These cars will easily put down 500rwhp with a ported blower, pulley and some other upgrades. The only week point is the IRS if you get a sticky tire and a strong hook. Ive heard the GTO is a better highway car but the Cobra is a very fun car.

16. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    As an owner of an '04 GTO I thought I'd give my two cents. I've got 33,000 miles on mine so far and I love getting in it every day. I know the styling in not for everyone, but I like the look of the car. It handles well but it's no Ferrari. It is what it is though, a grand TOURING car. You want sports car handling then upgrade the suspension. Lots of guys have done it. Mods are plenty for tons more power if you want it. I think the fact that the car was built overseas is the main reason it has the best fit and finish and interior quality Pontiac has. Hell, even Jeremy Clarkson said the driving position is perfect. Search for Top Gear vids of Monaros and see why those guys love the car so much. Downfalls are trunk space (don't plan on a long trip with three friends), gas mileage (what do you expect), and flashy looks (if you've got self-image issues this might not be the look for you). If anyone is in the market for one, I'd highly recommend making an offer on an '06 still on the lot. You can make a killer deal on a brand new one.