GROUP BUY: Extended Length Shock Eye Paper Weights | FerrariChat

GROUP BUY: Extended Length Shock Eye Paper Weights

Discussion in '308/328' started by Verell, Mar 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    For your edification & entertainment, I've decided to make some paper weights.

It struck me that while some people have replicas of valves, pistons, Wankel rotors, etc. as paper weights, I've never seem paper weights that look like shock eyes. So I've decided to make some.

They'll be precision machined out of 361 Stainless Steel, with an authentic QA1 polyurethane eye bushing.

LEGAL NOTICE:
    I make no claims that they are suitable for anything other than paper weights.

The paper weight's physcal resemblance to anything discussed in any other thread is purely coincidental.

Anyone who chooses to use them for any purpose other than paperweights is doing so at their own risk.

I'll post drawings as soon as I have them completed, probably Wed. or Thurs. I hope to have pricing by then as well.

2. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Uh Verell,

Am I right that you would be selling these in sets of four, just to hold down all 4 corners of a piece of paper ;-)

cool !!!

3. rufus

rufus Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2003
    Toronto & St PetesFL
    Full Name:
    Pete Gorrell
    When you send me some up in Canada, pls describe these items as novelty paperweights.... that shd get Canada Customs' knickers in a knot!

4. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    Definitely in for a set of four! Let me know when, how much and what you need me to do.

Al

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I understood that you'd only need the 2 front ones to hold down a piece of paper

6. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Just saw this thread !!! Disregard my last post in the "other" thread, and boy do I need a pair of those paperweights to hold my supercharger installation manual open on the bench !!

7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Hansel and Gretal would be proud ;)

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    My wife & I are celebrating her birthday at the Woodstock Inn in Woodstock, VT. Wasn't sure that I'd have internet access as it wasn't listed on their web page as being available. Anyway, it turns out that someone's got a wide open wireless router in the general area. Am using my iPAQ pda to access it! Anyway, I hope to work on the drawings Wed. PM when we're back home. Meanwhile, we're going skiing at the 'Suicide 6' ski area tomorrow AM. I havent been able to find out much about this ski area, so it will be a bit of an adventure, particularly Cindy hasn't been on downhill skiis in 13 or 14 years...

Sure, great description, will do!!!!

Still, I'll bet there's an international export code for 'novelty paperweights'. Gotta check & see...

Yup, these could be big sellers as those WSMs, FPCs, Service bulletin, & SC installation pages like to flip at the least convenient times.

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'm not sure how many people would want 4, will probably sell them as singles. However, I do figure that quite a few people will want to buy a pair, 1 for the WSM & 1 for the FPC, or just to keep both pages of whatever you have open anchored down at the same time...

However, If you really want 4 I'll be happy to sell them to you...

10. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I definitely need 2 paperweights. 1 to hold down all of the repair receipts, 1 to hold down the list of things to be repaired...

11. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    LOL!!

12. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    When will pricing for the paper weights be available? My receipts are getting out of control!

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Hopefully I'll post pricing sometime tomorrow.

Thought I'd do it today, but we got about 14" of heavy wet snow yesterday thru last night & I had a 450+ foot up hill to the street driveway to clear. Didn't help that my tractor stripped it's clutch wheel & I had to install a spare one in the middle of the job!!

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #14 Verell, Mar 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    GROUP BUY ENDS: Friday, 30-MARCH. The sets should ship about 6 weeks after the group buy ends.

Good news is that I now have the quotes back. The price for quantities of 25-30 are quite a bit higher & the lead time is longer than I'd earlier expected.

Seems having the final design drawing gave more detail. Also, making them out of high strength stainless steel increased the price. (Figured I better use a hard material in case they rolled off of your workbench, & corrosion resistant because your hands are likely to be sweaty... ;^) ) Possibly they are a tad over-designed, but I didn't want to cut corners.

Attached is a picture of the final design, including the authentic polyurethane rubber eye sleeve that comes installed in each one.

Unit PRICE: $100.64 = $93.79 USD/paper weight + $6.85 Shippinng & Insurance.

Pair Price: $196.98 = 2 x $93.79 USD/paper weight + $9.40 Shippinng & Insurance.

I need the full amount up front. You can use: PayPal, MO, business or personal check. Heck, I'll even take cash if you can get it to me safely!

To use PayPal, just send payment to the eMAIL address below for [GOODS(other)], use the SUBJ: below, & include your address & phone # in the comments field.

Also, I MUST have a phone # as the shipping companies require it these days for insured packages. Also, it's mandatory for all internationsl shipments, even to Canada.

To place your order by check, etc, please send eMAIL with your shipping address & Phone#:

TO: [email protected]

SUBJ: ORDER: Qty 1 Shock Eye Paper Weight
    (or Qty 2 if you want a pair.)

I'll respond with Unobtainium's mail address.

I'll trust your eMAIL saying your payment is coming snail mail and will log your order.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Do these paperweghts replace worn paperweights or are they a performance upgrade?
    Tom

16. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Depends how much performance your stack of paper needs and how much wind there is...

17. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I just got off of the phone with the machine shop. They quoted 6 weeks as their 'standard' lead time. However, things are a bit slack right now as a couple of big jobs haven't materialized. Their turn-around time could be 'a lot shorter' if they have still capacity on the CNC lathes when the group buy order is placed.

18. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Excellent!

Just like Greg, i too have waaay to many bills and receipts that need to be held down.

"It's getting out of control I'm telling ya!!":D

19. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Verell, you are "the man".
    You've got mail (and paypal $$)
    -Luigi

20. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Verell...you've got mail (and Paypal $$) from me as well. I need these paperweights before hurricane season, otherwise my receipts will be in complete disarray!

Thanks...Greg

21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Have payment for 4 pairs already, & I know where to send guido if Pizzaman doesn't ante up, so call it 5 pairs!!

We're off to a great start!!!

22. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Don't send Big Sal, i sent my e-mail and payment.

Everything is cool.:)

23. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  24. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    The check is in the mail (cyberspeed). Good work.

25. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'm in. See paypal account Verell.