Hyundai Going Upmarket | FerrariChat

Hyundai Going Upmarket

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Townshend, Mar 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
  2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    #2 JaguarXJ6, Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. arnaget

arnaget Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Jason
    having experienced the Hyundai Sonata ('06+) and Azera a bunch of times when renting at Avis, I'd have to say they were surprisingly good to drive. Not quite the laughingstock they may have once been. i think that 10 yr/100k mi warranty seems to help their sales too.

4. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona

That warranty is f'n worthless. We have a Hyundai, and I was all excited about this warranty, but when you read the fine print it only covers the drivetrain after 5 years,60,000 miles. Another thing that's funny is you'd think the coolant system is part of the engine right? Well according to the service department it's not. Our Hyundai is sitting at the shop right now because a coolant overflow hose got a tiny leak in it. I mean it would drip on the garage floor one a week. This ISN'T covered by the warranty because the coolant system isn't part of the "drivetrain". Seems you have to throw a rod for it to be covered.
    Also, because of this tiny leak the engine got a little warm a few times, and now the AC freon is gone and it's not blowing cold air, which is going to cost us $100 to refill. It seems when the AC system gets a little stressed (God forbid that happen), it has a blowoff valve kinda like turbo's. Well the f'n freon can come out of this blowoff valve, thus depleting your precious cold air. I live in the F'N DESERT for chrimney sakes.

They wanted $100 to fix that bypass hose. I'm fixing it myself. F'k em.

Other than that, the Hyundai we have (Elantra) has been absolutely wonderful. 75,000 miles in just a couple of years and not many problems at all.

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    I also have had a couple as rentals and they were lightyears ahead of the 1988 Excel "rodney king edition" that I used to have in high-school. I hated that car like I hated no other back in the day, eventually started driving a 1968 International Travelall instead

6. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I was thoroughly suprised and impressed by the Sonata that I had as a rental.

7. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If Hyundai can deliver Lexus quality at Toyota prices, people will buy. Ten years ago I would have laughed at the idea of a luxury Hyundai, but not anymore. Hyundai has got to be one of the most improved auto makers of the last decade, hands down.

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Not with service contracts/warranty handled like they are above..

One thing that will make or break a luxury vehicle being successful is the service not just being upscale and reliable.

Imagine taking your Ford GT to a service center without the special SVT cert techs to take care of it? Then you'll have some idea how this will shake down the first few years until they lose enough money to find the right balance.

9. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona

Exactly.
    I got that hose today, so I could put it on myself, and it hooks up to the engine block, on both sides.

WTF..

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    People are foolish to think that Lexus doesn't have their bays full of cars for service or fixing something that broke. Those techs have to be employed some how.

When you're treated right no matter which dealership you go to, word spreads. Lexus doesn't have their following because all they do is build a good automobile. Its the post-sales ass kissing they do in the service department that leaves the lasting impression.

You might remember when you bought your car. But you'll never forget if something gets screwed up when its in for service.

The Phaeton was a GREAT car but it never got its hooks into the crowd that truly wants to be pampered. Do you want to wait in line while Beetles/Jettas or Echos/Sportages get their oil changed one after the next before you're next in line?

I go to an independent now because my cars have been out of warranty longer than they were in it, but when it was, I enjoyed being able to be bumped to the top of the list at both the dealer and at my independent. I think it will be difficult to get this kind of relationship with your bog standard VW or Hyundai dealer. Granted, I haven't had a VW or Kia serviced before.

Hyundai has a lot of work cut out for them. Sounds like fun and my kinda work!

11. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Hyundai going upmarket-where else could they go? Can't get alot lower except suzuki, kia and the chinese brands. The cars aren't bad for barebones washing machine on wheels transport. I've used many of these cars from the accent, elantra, sonata and the azera. All pretty nice cars for their segment. I however have not heard good things about the dealers, service and warranty. The azera I think is their first truly decent car

12. bdog

bdog Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2004
    I always thought that hyundai was kia upmarket brand

13. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Hyundai going upmarket? About 13 years ago, when my family had just moved to the states, we were in the market for a cheap used car. A late 80s Hyundai was targeted, driven, and promptly disregarded, as it was a piece of ****. I understand things have improved since, but the brand perception can't sustain an upmarket price.

The wise thing would be to invent a new brand name or something equally absurd.

14. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    The new Hyundais are so good they won't need a new brand name.

I bought a 2006 Sonata V6 for my kids, only cost $18K, including sunroof (didn't get leather, though). 235 horsepower, drives great, rides great, very quiet, plenty of power. Has side airbags and electronic stability control, too. Many thousands of dollars less than a comparable Accord or Camry.

I love it, and have taken it on several trips instead of my 2004 Audi S4.