Goodbye Luis | FerrariChat

Goodbye Luis

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Gail, Mar 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gail

Gail Rookie

Mar 26, 2007
    I'm not sure how to begin to tell you about what happened to Luis, as this all feels surreal and it's hard for me to believe he's really gone. I can start by saying that Luis loved exotic cars and had an incredible passion for life.

Luis and I went to Santana Row Saturday morning, which turned out to be a great event with a huge turnout. There were lots of friends he hadn't seen in a while and quite a few that he sees on a regular basis so it was the start of a perfect day. We ended up going on a group drive to the coast. Luis and I were at the end of the group…for those who knew Luis, you would know why. We were on a slow moving road, his Black GT3 Porsche was impeccable, so he was going about 5 mph to ensure he didn't get gravel chips…I know, I know, he's given everyone else plenty of "dings" from his sticky race tires  including myself. I learned a long time ago to drive in front of him (but I could never stay in front for very long). Once we got on the good road, Luis passed me (shaking the ground and yes, hurting my ears with his extreme loud exhaust that the car is infamous for). He made a couple of turns and then he was out of my sight. Moments later he was off the road.

Luis was a young 39 and full of life. Luis was VP of a wireless communication company. He had numerous patents, articles written about him and tons of great success stories. Back in the days, he was an Olympic swimmer for Spain and Switzerland. He was passionate about sports and was an extreme skier, snowboarder and tennis player…he was a bit bad at golf though, yet he could hit a golf ball farther than anyone I knew. Luis had 2 Master Degrees from Switzerland, and he spoke 5 fluent languages (English, Spanish, French, Italian and German)…but most importantly, Luis was an extremely sensitive, compassionate, fun loving guy.

I notified Luis' parents yesterday and they are flying out from Spain today to take him home.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the support I've received. It just confirms how much Luis was loved. You'll never know how much you are helping me get through this terrible pain I have, the pain I know you all share. I want to specifically thank those that were with us Saturday (Grace & Kelvin, Anna & Josh, Carolyn & Lyndon, April & Nizam, Susan & Max, Eric, Ajay, Lisa & Kirby and Sal) and supported all my emotions for endless hours and were truly there when I needed you...I don't know how I could have gotten through this without all of you…

Luis…I am so empty without you and miss you terribly, my heart is in so much pain and only time will heal...

And one more thing, I sure hope the Angels have "ear plugs", cuz I can hear you now!!!

May you rest in everlasting peace...I miss you and love you so much,
    Gail

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Gail,

My condolences. Luis was a great guy and fun to know.

May he RIP.

3. def

def Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What??? I don't even know what to say, I can't believe this

I don't know if SR will ever be the same without him...

He will be missed :(

4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    So sorry to learn of this loss.

5. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Gail -

Please accept my condolences. Luis was a great guy and I always enjoyed talking to him, and sharing drives and lunches. He'll be sorely missed by all of us in the car community.

Gary

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Luis was a dear friend above all else. For some people, you say that no one can say any ill - Luis really was that guy.

He had an enthusiasm for life that few people could understand, let alone imitate. I got to know him well over the past year and change, and he made a profound impact on my life. My favorite things about Luis were the little ones - we spoke about five-ten times per week, and when you'd call during the day he would in very hushed tones say "Hey duuhde, I'm in a meeting hold on" (no doubt he was putting the ceo of nokia on hold for you) and all of a sudden his voice would explode into the earpiece "HEEEEEY MAN, WHAT'S UP?"

I spoke with him the morning of, as the day before we agreed to meet up this weekend. He called me telling me to roll out of bed and come on down, and lazy me I rebuffed his offer. He then explained how they'd go to lunch at the Ritz (a running joke for us, because he knows how much I hate their food) - so we agreed to meet up later in the afternoon.

I never got the phone call, so I assumed he went on for an extended drive, or he went up to Disco Bay. I figured it was fine, since we'd be going shooting on Sunday.

Later I got the call, and I still can't really understand what has happened. I'm not the emotional type, but there's a big void where Luis' constant banter took hold. I really don't know what to say other than despite his myriad accomplishments, his was a life cut painfully short. We can only take solace in knowing that his joy and enthusiasm lifted many hearts, and his memories will do the same for the rest of time.

You are sorely missed, my friend.

--Dan

7. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    My condolences to Gail, Luis' family, and all of his friends here in the FChat community and beyond.

RIP

8. Prancing Horse

Prancing Horse Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    This is the most difficult post I have ever made. Though many of you know Luis as the really nice guy with the black GT3R, he was much more than that to me. Luis was a very accomplished engineer, a successful founder and general manager of a few IT companies, an amazing, semi-professional driver, and most importantly a great friend. He had a warm engaging personality, abounding energy, a smile that lit up the room and laughter that was contagious. He lived his life to the very fullest and was always generous with his time. Just a few weeks ago over lunch, he gave me valuable advice on running a start-up and afterwards patiently showed me how to properly drive a stick.

So Luis, when I finally nail that perfect heal and toe, I will smile and be thinking of you. You cannot imagine how much we will miss you.

9. june_gl

june_gl Karting

Sep 18, 2006
    California
    Gail, my deepest sympathies to you and Luis’ family. He is in my thoughts and will be missed.

10. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Gail, I am so sorry for your loss. Words cannot describe how I feel right now and I am sure it's even a heavier burden on you. I was at a complete lost for word as to what I could've said while I was driving you back to Stanford and I am deeply sorry that there was nothing I could say to make you feel better.

Luis was an incredible individual - smart, full of life, incredibly down to earth, but very humble even through his list of accomplishments that far supercede a lot of us. He was full of charisma and brightens up the entire place when he's around.. (and eardrums too!)

I've gotten to know him in the past year and he was always a person whom I've looked up to. Just 20 mins before the accident, we were joking around about his CD changer and his Britney Spears CDs. We also joked about how he got me in trouble with my wife because he had to wait for his board meeting to finish so he could show up at the 60th Anniv Ferrari party of FoSV. I still remember watching that Sebrings race between ferrari and porsche and said to everybody "If only Luis was driving the RSR!!"

Gail,

you are very strong woman and I admire your strength, poise and composure in such a difficult time. Please let Anna and I know if there is anything we can do for you.

RIP and Godspeed Luis Aldaz. We will miss you dearly.

11. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby
    #11 Itzkirb, Mar 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Still can't believe it happened. I mean you hear about it, read about it on forums...but you never really think it'll happen to someone you know. I've known Luis for 4yrs. When we met his car was almost stock and he was just starting out. Man, how times have changed.

I'm still in shock...and it feels like a really bad dream...er, nightmare.

He'll be sorely missed...RIP my friend...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. FerrariSoon

FerrariSoon Karting

May 18, 2005
    Luis was a good friend of mine, and I am still in shock. Dan said it well - Luis was one of the kindest people I ever knew, and always had time for his friends. He loved nothing more than stepping out a board meeting to talk about nothing in particular when I gave him a call. I'm deeply saddened knowing I will never get a call or email from my friend.

I had dinner with him a little over a week ago, where we discussed some exciting new business ideas, which he expressed with his usual warm enthusiasm. Luis was one of the few people I truly looked up to. He worked hard and played hard, and always did both with a contagious intensity. He didn't try and hide that he was truly a kid at heart.

He was full of life, and full of love. Rest in peace Luis, you are dearly missed.

Gail, I am so sorry for your loss. I would very much like to help his family and loved ones understand what a positive impact he had on people in the area, so please let me know if there is anything I can do.

-Andrew
    [email protected]

13. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Rest in peace, Luis Aldaz :(

14. fastfred

fastfred Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    antioch calif.
    Full Name:
    fred pedersen
    my condolences,luis will be missed......

15. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My condolences to you Gail and Luis' family. I heard about this Saturday evening and it still hasn't sunk in, since I just saw him during the FoSV event and the morning meet in SR. I remember him approaching Arun and I right before he left for the drive and asked if we were going to the Ritz with them.

I did not know Luis the way others have here since I have been less active in recent months. I've probably been on a couple of drives with him before. I always heard good things about him and always enjoyed the pics and videos he would post here.

He will be missed!

RIP Luis.

16. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I only knew Luis from SR events. You couldn't miss him coming and you certainly couldn't miss him leave.

EVERYONE loved this guy... this was so clear from the reception he got everytime he pulled into the parking area.

I wish I could have known him better.

This is so sad.

Frank

17. damage

damage Formula Junior

May 20, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jarod
    WHAT?! :(

When I saw this thread title I thought this may have been just a joke. I can't believe this. :( Now I regret not going to the last meet to see him one last time. He was definitely one of the nicest and coolest guys I met at the Santana Row meets. I fondly remember the first time I ever met him. His car came roaring into the parking lot and you could barely hear any conversations anymore. He steps out and you expect him to speak loudly, but he says in his soft spoken voice, "hi, good morning."

RIP Luis.

18. Bird Man

Bird Man Karting

Jul 11, 2004
    N.cal./bay area
    Gail,

Susan and I are so very ,very sorry for your loss. We only met him a few times and I recall the trip to Marin where at a regroup point he came over to us and asked if we were going to join them for lunch. Unfortunately, we could not so we made the commitment the next time around to be sure to attend. We never thought that next time would never happen. Even now the two of us find it hard to believe he is gone. Life is truly precious.

Gail, condolences to you and Luis' family.

19. FLYBUY

FLYBUY Rookie

Feb 1, 2006
    East Bay
    I am shocked and saddened to hear of his passing. Luis was a friend to all who knew him. He was one of the most humble people I have known. I wish I could have known him better. SR and Monterrey won't be the same without him.

RIP Luis

20. LuisGT3

LuisGT3 Formula Junior

May 16, 2006
    Orono, MN
    Full Name:
    Luis
    May he Rest in Peace.

21. Murciii

Murciii Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    RIP. You will be missed Luis. My condolences to his family.

22. alexD

alexD F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2006
    sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    alex d
    Unbelievable, my condolences Luis' family. Unfortunately I only had the opportunity to talk to Luis a few times, but he was already one of the friendliest guys I had ever met.

RIP :(

23. junior

junior Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Merced, CA
    Full Name:
    Junior Aguilar
    It is sad to hear that Luis is gone. He is a very humble and very good person I have
    ever met. Every time we see him, he always remember our name including my kids
    and my wife. We will surely miss him. Rest In Peace

Jr and family

24. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Sounded like a great guy. :(

My condolences to Gail, Luis' family, and all of his friends.

25. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin