LIQUID GLASS POLISHES | FerrariChat

LIQUID GLASS POLISHES

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GCalo, Mar 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Never heard of it Greg

3. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    That stuff is f'n incredible! If your paint is old and fading, it'll bring it back to almost new condition. It's truly amazing to see in person. If you got new paint, it won't do you much good. It refinishes the clear coat (liquid glass), which is the cause of most "fading" on paint jobs.

4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo

That's good to know. Thank you.

5. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    Some friends with Corvettes swear by the stuff.

6. Just_some_dude

Just_some_dude Karting

Apr 1, 2004
    This stuff is basically adds a shiny acrylic layer to your paint, like a clear coat. A friend of mine used it on his Jeep Wrangler, worked great. But I would never use it on a Ferrari or another exotic with a good paint job.

7. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    As a detailer, I can tell you that the stuff is great, but dated. It is essentially an old-school sealant, which has become obsolete in comparison to many of the newer sealants being offered today. I like to use it on single stage cars because it gives it luster and removes oxidation, but there are much better products out there, IMHO

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    And those are?

9. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I remember using it years ago and liked the results.

10. spEYEdr

spEYEdr Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2007
    LA - City of Angels
    it's in the guy's name: Klasse

Or the newer version: Acrylic Jett

11. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    I used to use Liquid Glass but switched over to Nu Finish after Consumer Reports had done some testing and found Nu Finish to be the best. http://www.nufinish.com/

I like the Nu Finish because of the ease of application and it gives a good shine quickly with very little effort.

For that mile deep "wet-look" shine or for paint that has problems, I use Zaino. It is the best but it is a lot of work to apply and it is expensive. http://www.zainostore.com/

So I use Zaino on the F-car and Nu Finish on everything else.

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Funny about Nufinish, Consumer Reports recommended it like 25 years ago! About 15 years ago they recommended Meguires "Cleaner Wax"....and about 6 or 8 years ago, it was Zymol "Cleaner Wax"...but all of these have been superceded by new and better products. The current top picks from CR are:

Black Magic Wet Shine liquid wax

Turtle Wax Carnuba Car Wax T6

Eagle One Nano Wax

13. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    What about this Liqui-Tech polish? Is this the same as Liquid Glass? The names are awefully similar and so is the packaging. TIA.

http://www.liquitech-ky.com/

14. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

I remember using it 15 years ago...I remember reading the instruction label where it says:...You must inform a body shop that you have used it before they do any respray or repair...
    I have never seen manufacturers comments like that...must be a semi permanent coat.

15. Ogolden1

Ogolden1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I've used it for about seven years. It's really great! It reminds me of Zaino, but a lot cheaper. It's not a wax, it's a polymer polish that bonds the paint molecules -- it can be applied in layers, then park in the sun and let it bake in. It goes on and comes off a lot easier than wax and leaves you with a mirror shine for over 6 months. I highly recommend it!

16. mathech

mathech Rookie

Oct 23, 2006
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Cam
    I used it years ago and always liked the results. If I remember correctly the secret was to build up as many coats as possible over a period of time for the best protection. Also the coats should be thin during each application. Unfortunately my local supplier quit carrying the product and I have since moved on to to others.

17. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    All valuable information for sure. Thanks to all.

Guess it's best to stay with Meguiar's at this point on a newer vehicle.

18. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Greg, DO NOT use the Liquid Glasss prodcuts!!

19. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    Greg I have always used Zaino products they are very good a nmber of the detailers I know also swear by the product line.

For that mile deep "wet-look" shine or for paint that has problems, I use Zaino. It is the best but it is a lot of work to apply and it is expensive. http://www.zainostore.com/

20. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Joe thanks for the tip.

Martin, I'll take a look at the Zaino.

many thanks.

21. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    It has been around for decades, works great on fiberglass cars boats etc. almost forgot you live in No Cal

22. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo

I have given up on the boating for a while, though.

23. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT
    Liquid Glass can be purchased at any Pep Boys or other Auto parts store. I've known about it for about 18 years. I've used it before but found it to be just OK. It was hard to get off once it dried and left streaks on my black car.

The one product that was the best in the early 90's was called Advanced Liquid 1st Class. That stuff was amazing and worked the best for black cars! It brought out the true shine and even filled in micro scratches and cracks without a problem!

I would still be using it today if it hadn't gone out of business because the geniuses at Liquid Glass sued them for name infringement in '93.

24. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    my pf coupe was painted in 1968.

what do you guys recommend for spiffing up the finish on it?

tom w

25. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Similar, but newer technology. Liquid Glass is OLD technology by today's standads. Liqui-Tech is better than Liquid Glass. I've got them both here, along with Zaino, Griot's, and Meguiars and others. You might want to look at the 'polishes' parts of the series at www.fca-se.org/concours.htm