'86 328 GTB | FerrariChat

'86 328 GTB

Discussion in '308/328' started by tonosi, Mar 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonosi

tonosi Rookie

Nov 14, 2006
    #1 tonosi, Mar 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I checked this car out last year and was not impressed with its condition and the overall care.
    Since then, I've been monitoring it to see if it sells and for how much. It was originally listed on Craigslist for $42,500.
    I did noticed the leak (which the owner is disclosing) and 2nd gear was a bit hard to get into.
    "When I had the Timing belt done last it was $1380 plus $262 for parts (plus tax)." Makes me wonder the quality of the job. Last I checked it costs 4-7K to get belts and everything else that needs to be done when the engine is accessible.

At the time I felt it was over priced considering all the details and a major service due very soon (if not overdue).

His reserve looks like it went up to 46k.

One thing I noticed that struck me as odd is the tail lights. Aren't they backwards? The yellow should be on the outside, right?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, yellow goes on the outside.

Most 308/328s are finicky about going into 2nd gear when cold. Even in California it takes my car a couple of minutes.

A major service on a 328 is about $4K+ from a good independent, and the engine stays in the car (access belts/tensioners via the wheel well). Likely it was just a new belt, as you suggest. So $46K + $4K gets you into an '86.

Are the miles high? Serious leak? (Cam o-rings can be done easily during a major service - that's a common leak spot.)

What else is wrong with it? Get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) with compression test, check the history and if it's clean buy it.

328s have gone up slightly over last year.

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Firs of all is yes the yellow suppose to be on the outside and second 4 to 7K dollars for the belts, tensioner bearings, and maybe water pump sounds a bit high unless that includes valve adjustments, cam seal, and gaskets then maybe the price is just right.

4. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    I have an 86 328 GTB. I paid slightly more for a completely perfect car. I say that if you want a GTB and you want a 328 series, you should not waste any time and purchase the car correctly (PPI) and lein checks. There were only approximately 125 of these cars brought into N America. Took me two years to find my perfect car.

Second gear synchros are part of the reality of these cars. Slight leak/wetness is not unheard of.

5. tonosi

tonosi Rookie

Nov 14, 2006
    My bad, i forgot to post the link to the 328 I mentioned. http://www.buyredferrari.com/

As far as the tail lights, ok it might not be a big deal they are reversed. I just suspected at some time it could have been in an accident and the shop just replaced them and left them backwards.

It has been detailed, so its hard to know exactly the extent of ding repair it has undergone.

6. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    If you want a red/tan 328 GTB there aren't too many available to choose from. Actually I don't know of any for sale in any color combo. By summer time some may shake out.

If you are also interested in GTS your options expand greatly.

-F

7. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    #7 dfratini, Mar 27, 2007
    Just completed a major on my 86 328 doen by local indenpents who specialize in Italian cars. The total for parts / labor was $2850. I am posting the itemized bill so that you can see what was done. Granted prices here in Spokane are probably lower than many parts of the country but probably not to far off on the parts.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    For a belts/tensioners/check out that's about right....

Tailights are indeed backwards, usually indicating a respray IMO, or a strange owner preference! It's not DOT correct that way for sure...

Not many out there, as noted above, if you are serious call up and talk money.......

9. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    GTBs are scarce, but red/tan comes up periodically. Motorcars had a very nice '87 sitting in inventory for a couple of months last fall. If you want anything other than red/tan ... well, good luck.

The other 328 in my neighborhood is a GTB, in silver. Really pretty car.

EDIT: Checked the eBay listing, and 58,000 miles is going to turn many buyers off. If you're planning to buy it and drive the wheels off it, this one might be OK. If you want a GTB because they're scarcer than the spiders - i.e., you want an investment - I wouldn't buy this one.

10. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    In the latest Ferrari Market Letter there is a GTS with around 67,000 miles for $30,000 and one with 39,000 miles for around $49,000.

If you have to have a GTB this is the only one listed for sale but I know of a very nice example that I found in my search that you might be able to pry from the owner for the right amount of money.

If you are open to a GTS then you won't have to settle for a high mileage car.

-F

11. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    IMHO, with the mileage/condition and the work that's due, this would be a good car to do some interesting things with if you're able to buy it at the right price:

1) QA1 or similar suspension
    2) 17" wheels
    3) Big brake kit
    4) Head work - valve job, port and polished, etc.
    5) Lightweight flywheel/clutch
    6) super or turbo charge

What's the right price? Nothing that starts with "4." They are so few that prices are pretty strong, though, and the none of us are selling the truly great ones.

And Red/Tan is the most produced, by far, colour combo for these cars.

12. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    There was a near perfect 1987 red/tan Florida car (only 17k miles) that was available for about $48-49k not too long ago. I drove the car and it was great. I think it sold to a dealer who now wants 50+ for the car. This car was on the market by many owners for over a year. With 50k+ miles I cant see how this car will sell for more than $40k.

For the record....a belt change can be had for $1300 but this is not the same as the 30k sevice that is $3-4k. The 30k service incorporates plenty more and about $1200 in parts.

just my .2 cents.

13. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It looks pretty clean for the mileage, especially the engine bay. The tail lights seem to always get switched after a respray. It looks like the leather has probably been resprayed as well. But it sounds like it could easily swallow 4-7K to catch up on everything. The first number should definitely be a 3 and second number not a 9 or 8 or 7. If it is #61013, it had 54K on it in 2000 with a 37.9K asking price.

Dave

14. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's the same car as the M.I. car. From all reports, it is very nice and has since found an end user owner.

Dave

15. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yep. Just waiting for delivery.

-F

16. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    My GTB is 61015, which I picked up with 22K miles for under $45K back in '01. It also came with all updates (recalls) performed and two sets of rims and exhaust. Now, after FOUR documented major services in the car's history (one under my ownership), 29K miles on the clock, and multiple FCA Platinum awards, I certainly would not let this rare, well-sorted car go for less than what I paid.

17. Scuderia NoVA

Scuderia NoVA Formula Junior
    Owner

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Slightly OT...

Jon -- do you have any other details re: the silver GTB in your neighborhood? i.e. What year? Mileage? Is it Silver/Bordeaux? I'm just curious because there was another silver/bordeaux GTB for sale at the same time as my car when I was looking. I wonder if the one near you is the one from Naples Motorsports in FL.

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Anthony, I think that it would the '89 car - 81203 - not the other '88 (pre 88.5) car like yours.

19. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
  20. oporto328

oporto328 Karting

Sep 3, 2002
    Oporto - Portugal
    Full Name:
    André Ferreira Costa
    Hello,

Yellow lights are in wrong place.
    Car has probably been repainted as the 328GTB logo sits higher than normal. Watch closelly the 328gts logo in second photo.

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I didn't see the interior - he was driving the other way on a divided road. Next encounter I'll get more information. If we were going the same way I certainly would've made an effort to check out his car. I'll stalk him and let you know.

22. 355michael

355michael Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2006
    Phila Area
    I had a PPI done on this car about 4 weeks ago-
    Bottom line is stay away-Full repaint several yrs ago by a Hot Rod Shop in central TX-The car is too shiny and in some places the paint is too thin-
    It has not had any type of service done to it in several yrs
    Its a classic study in deferred maintance-
    The car was filthy when it was shown -rear deck being held up by a wood stick
    Mismatched front/rear cheapo tires
    Owner think with a few thou it can be perfect-similar to what motorcars intl had sold recently
    I guess for the right price it may be worth it-I was willing to offer him $28,000

23. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    So stay away because of the repaint or stay away because of the PPI results? It is a high mileage car, a driver, not a concourse car so the mechanicals should be more important than the cosmetics. Obviously needs a major, new tires, new rear deck shocks. Other issues as well? Obviously, he's just asking way too much, considering about $4000 for the above mentioned needs, but not sure I'd agree with $28K.

Jeff

24. tonosi

tonosi Rookie

Nov 14, 2006
    #24 tonosi, Mar 29, 2007
    355Michael, would you mind sharing some of the findings on the PPI. It would be very helpful for a first time buyer like myself. I am curious what to look for or expect on the report. Everyone talks about it, but I am not sure how it is structured. Who performed the PPI and how much it cost you?

Also, what is the story behind Motorcars International on Lamar?
    They have a white 308 in sad condition, broken back glass and who knows what else. Its been exposed to the elements for a long time. They also have a 308 (convertible) with a flat tire.

(sorry for the quality of the photos, i took them with my phone)

25. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Tonosi, if you're looking at an early 328, check if the three recalls were performed. You can do a search on this site for details.