What value do I put on my '84 Mondial QV? | FerrariChat

What value do I put on my '84 Mondial QV?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by markqv, Mar 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markqv

markqv Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Newcastle on Tyne UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Neale
    #1 markqv, Mar 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The price of Mondials seems to be all over the place and I'm looking for some advice as to what would be a fair price to ask for my own.

Mine's a really fine car, has 36,300 miles on it, massive history, great tyres and is Nero with Bordeaux upholstery. It's not perfect but what minor blemishes it does have have are commensurate with what is very well looked after 23 year old car.

I have been offered £7,000 - £8,000 trade-in against a 355. There seems to be a number of Mondials out there with massive more miles and what appear to be in quite shabby condition at much, much higher asking prices.

Am I being unrealistic to expect £10,000 - £11,000 for a private sale?

Any pricing suggestions appreciated!

Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Price seems very fair if the car is as you describe.Dont make the mistake of undervalueing your car, if its a good one someone will pay you for it.I think I made this mistake when I sold my gt4.Have only now started to realise after looking at a fair few much newer cars just how good mine was.

3. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Personally I would say around £11-12.5k, but them I am biased, I do like it in the black, it also makes the original black bumpers look colour coded and blended in.

What buyers never realise is the difference between a half decent one (yours) and an old nail, too many people jump in the deep end by saving £3k, then realise they need to spend at least £5k on it to get it any where near yours at say £11k ish.

Also annoyingly fleabay seems to have killed a lot of values of cars, Jmho:)

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Isn't the answer to the question : how much do you want that particular 355 - the money isn't stupid but a private sale could take months - maybe if you each give a grand and call it a deal....

5. markqv

markqv Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Newcastle on Tyne UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Neale
    All valid comments guys and appreciated.

I am perhaps guilty of undervaluing my car - but perhaps that's a symptom of being a Mondial owner. There's a distinct lack of cred' attributed to what is a pretty rare type of car - after all, the anals of motoring history are not exactly bursting at the seams with four seat, mid-engined cars.

The GT4 would appear to be acquiring the deserved recognition of being what is a pretty unique car and prices are starting to reflect this change in attitude.

May be the Mondial's time is yet to come.

In the meantime I going to try for £11K and see what happens. Watch this space!

6. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    The trade-in value offered seems pitiful but it is the hassle free option.
    Even either side of £11k, it still looks to me as though someone will get a bargain. As Nitrous said too often the indicative price of all models is priced against the cheapest and worst examples.
    IMO the best you can do is put it up for 15k and see what happens, you can always lower the price - its much harder to raise it...

7. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I would try it at £13995.If it is a good car(and it certainly looks nice)it should sell.
    Try putting in the ad. that you will take a part exchange,youll be surprised how much more interest this may generate.Sometimes it is a case of an individual just wanting to get rid of their car rather than wanting yours but if you know the value of the p/ex you can just punt it through the auctions.If you want you can PM me for a valuation.Just a thought.

8. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    If you dont mind waiting the months it might take to sell (while you enjoy the car), then market it at £11,950.... and accept £11K. You have to leave a little haggle room. Tough colour to shift fast.

9. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    I think the trade in value is poor against a 355 which is probally overpriced. I would have thought that you could get £10k for trade in against this type of car. Don't forget that the garage has profit in the 355. Granted they will take into consideration advertising/garage cost etc and a warranty which don't cost that much (Olympic Warranties) are quite reasonable. I would suggest to go to another garage to get a 2nd opinion against another 355 or similar. Don't feel forced into selling it for a poor price, but don't think that you can get top dollar be realistic. Good Luck.