348 round taillights vote YES or NO | FerrariChat

348 round taillights vote YES or NO

Discussion in '348/355' started by Raywheels, Mar 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Raywheels

Raywheels Rookie

Jul 11, 2005
    #1 Raywheels, Mar 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    See attach pictures before voting.

I hope this page will clear up any misunderstanding.
    The objective of the round taillight upgrade for the 348 is to make the car look newer and more exotic than the 355. Notice the upgrade comes with 360/550/575 taillights, it is not a 355 replica.
    With this upgrade the average person does not know which Ferrari model is newer, this could improve the 348 status. Remember the round taillight upgrade was made so the rear of the 348 could look similar to all Ferraris.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Heck, I would think other Ferrari owners would want to change their round taillights for the the distictive look of the 348s.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Note that 360/550/575 tailights ARE 355 tailights as well.

4. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I think the 348 tail lights are fine. I have no interest in trying to make my car "look newer". I actually like the look of the 348 and I think it's one of the best looking Ferrari's out there. Any after market treatment - outside of wheels maybe - I think look stupid on the car.

5. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

I like the 348 tail lights as they are. (SS I like better though)
    I personally like to keep my cars stock (for the most part).
    The way the factory released the car is the way I wanna keep them (with the exception of exhaust.)

People should do what they like. The car can be put back to factory specs, so I don't see a problem with changing to the round lights if the person likes them.

6. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Not for me. The standard light cover matches the side strakes - the two features 'gel' together and it looks odd when one is missing. IMO the 512M looked awkward in this regard, though they did keep the slats between the round lights which helped.

7. jayz

jayz Formula 3

Jan 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Jess
    i like the look of the 348 tail lights. i wouldn't change a thing

8. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Clear up any misunderstanding..........were?? On here F.chat?? After only 14 posts you come to the conclusion that there is misunderstanding amoung the brotherhood;);) Or have i got that bit wrong.
    How does a 348 look more newer and exotic than a 355 with just a rear light conversion dude:)

9. MaleficVTwin

MaleficVTwin F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I like the look of the round lights. The grates are one thing I have never really liked on the 348. To each his own, I guess. :)

10. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    +1

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I prefer the body color surrounding the round taillights (because it also makes the cavallino emblem look better-sized), but I'd still give the change decent marks and no penalty ;)

12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I'm 50/50 on the deal. I have decided not to change mine to round as I think it's perfectly fine without them, but I know some have converted and it looks fine. Brent's is about as close to factory as I've seen; the rest look very kit-car-ish. To each his own.

13. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    #13 albert328gts, Mar 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Like I said, I like mine the best, a true challenge grill, with 355 lights. Not to make it look like a 355, because IMHO, the 348 has a front end that is slightly more aggressive then a 355. And I love the side cheese graters. But I like roud lights! Now the best part, no cutting, I can put my 348 lights and panel back on at any time, 1 hour tops. And every once in a while I actualy do. It
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. hadley

hadley Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    lake forest ca usa
    Full Name:
    hadley mcgaughey
    It does look good. But, I must 'fess up to being a purist in this sort of thing. Unfortunately is just ain't original.

15. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Yes its not originaly but like I said within an hour it is! Now I must confess, having gone to all the trouble to do this, everyonce in a while I go back with the original rear lights and panel. I am truly 50/50 about it. It is a great design with the original rear lights, but I love the fact that I can make it look just has aggressive has the front end with the rear challenge grill. Makes me happy, and that is why I bought a Ferrari, for me. Yup I am one selfish guy. :)

16. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    +1 LOL :p

I will agree only 'slightly' ;)

17. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I like the Challenge grill + round lights... When I get a nice, shiny exhaust system back there (one day) - being able to see the muffler thru the mesh is sooo sexy!

*AND* I also like the original 348 setup. It has an F40/Vector serious look to it!!! I expect guns or rockets to pop out from under the louvers at any moment :)

SOooo... I would like to be able to swap them out easliy (that & a set of F430 rims). I tend to get bored with one design (prob because I'm a designer?).

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't think the 348 is one of Pininfarina's all-time greats, but it's definitely a cohesive design: so I'd agree, the original 'bars and strakes' treatment is the way to go. It's unique to the 348 and TR and cool as such.

Yup, and I'd say the 512TR was the best of that trio of designs.

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't get this at all. A Ferrari Daytona looks like an old car, but it's gorgeous. A 246 or 308 looks older, but we love them. A 250GT Spyder California looks damned old, but most of would donate a limb to own one.

And they're all exotics in every sense of the word.

What's the shame in driving a 1991 Ferrari? Explain please. What are people confusing your 348 with that you need to ditch the original rear trim?

20. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    +1 ;) Year is irelevant as long as it is the car you like :).

21. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I love the stock 348 lights, of course. Fantastic design that defines that Ferrari era. :):)
    But.........I also love the round 355 lights. So I would probably get them for my car also. As already mentioned, they can be changed back to stock at any time or when you want to sell the car. Or you can alternate as albert328gts does with his. :):)

22. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I agree.

I will say this - as a newbie Ferrari owner, I get tired of the first question from the average Joe (other than "What do you do for a living?") which is...

"What year is it?"

WHO THE FF**** CARES????

I wasn't aware that Ferraris were like Hondas, and only by driving the current model year can you be a pimp.

Maybe I'll start lying & say "2010" :(

23. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Like PAP said above the 355 rules!!!! :D :D

24. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Yup!!! When I see an exotic I know the owner has been bombarded with the same old questions/statements:

How much did you pay for it?

What year is it?

My brother in law/uncle/dad/neighbor has one too.... :rolleyes:

I usually ask about the engine info: engine size, horsepower....etc. ;) or sometimes even a simple 'thumbs up' is all that is needed :eek: :)

25. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    To each his own. I like both but prefer the 355 taillights . Switched mine out to 355's but retained the stock lights for an easy swap out if wanted.