4th Annual Veteran's Car Show - PICTURES | FerrariChat

4th Annual Veteran's Car Show - PICTURES

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by SpyderGirl, Jan 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpyderGirl

SpyderGirl Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    I have a date for this years Veterans Car show at the VA hospital. June 30, 2007. (Saturday)

I will work on the event times and everything else in the months to come. invitations will be sent out via snail mail to those who have attended in the past, and I will get even more goodies for both Veterans and car owners.

And this year we can actually drive the GTO-R in the parade with everyone! ;)

I will keep everyone posted as time goes by. This year I bet we will top 100 Vehicles for this special day for the Veterans!! :)

2. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    I'm a new Chicago 328 owner, so a little more detail on the event would be great. Thanks.

3. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Hi Gerry,

I'd be happy to.

The Veterans Car show is held at the North Chicago VA hospital for our Vet's.

It is a private show, just car folks bringing in unique cars for a walk down memory lane for the Vets here. The goal?...to give our Nation's Heroes some well deserves smiles and memories.

No registration fees to bring a car, and I get free raffles prizes, trophies, goodie bags, food and refreshments for the owners! The trophies are the Directors Choice Award, and 1st, 2nd & 3rd place Veterans Choice voted by all the Veterans at the show.

My family does the cooking of the dogs for everyone each year and donates a few raffle prizes, or gives out Beenie Babies to all the gals...just little neat stuff from my mom.

The past few years, we have had a DJ playing oldies for us during the show, he usually plays a nice selection of tunes for the whole day.

We try to hold it between meal times for the Vets so that they can get proper nutrition, some do get the hot dogs and soda tho! :)

We get Navy Chiefs and Corpsman School students to help with Vets who are wheelchair or gerichair bound. Some of our more capable Vets push chairs too as they like helping out their comerades. (caution is taken with the chairs and we try to space the vehicles far enough apart for movement)

We have many different types of Veterans at this facility. We help mental health Veterans, SGRC, intensive medicine, surgical, Women's Veteran programs, substance abuse and addiction, homeless and we have recently murged with the Navy hospital and this past year, we had delivered our first baby!

At the end of the show, everyone hops in his or her car, and we follow the Medical Center Director who rides in a 1921 Stutz Fire Engine for the Parade for Veterans. We drive in front of the 3 main buildings that we care for Veterans in. The reason for this is that we do have a good amount of guys and gals who are not well enough to make it out to the show area, so they can see it from where they are cared for. Many drivers cant see the Vets, but they sure do hear and see all the cars and love it! :)

There are threads in the past that have some great pics of the cars that have been displayed in the previous shows, some wild, some exotics, muscle cars, military vehicles and some just great examples of old American Iron.

OK, that is about it. ~~not much rambling I hope~~ :)

I will post the exact time of day and maps and such when the time gets closer. Any questions, let me know, I'd be happy to answer them for you and anyone else.

Thanks all,

Haley

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    In support of the event FOC Midwest will hand out plaques to any participant (regardless of club affiliation or not) who shows up in a Ferrari (real or replica). So please post on here if you plan on attending so we can produce enough plaques.

For the record: I'm in.

5. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Thank you Andreas!

Of course the little red monster will be there! :)

6. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds like a good thing to do for the Vets. After all many of us are or were nearly one.

Count me in.

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Hey Hay, I'll be there as usual.

I'm sure Ed will attend again too.

I also have a friend that just bought a 348 and I think he'll come.

I'll also see who I can get from the RROC.

8. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Johnny, well over half the people I know are Vets, with almost half of them being Marines. :) Thanks for your interest!

Skip, that is great, if there is anything I can do to help if you need, let me know. I am glad Ed and others should attend, I think it is going to be a great year. ;)

9. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I will be there for sure.

RA19860231....funny how you never forget that number.

Norm

10. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    How can I miss this great event.

Team remember donations of quality paperback books, models, board games, VHS, DVD and CDs are in much demand. Let's remember what these Vets have sacrificed for our country. Let's ALL bring some sort of donation to help occupy their time as they recoop.

11. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    PS, Please get the word out to other groups who might be interested in joining this great cause. Ensure you mention the donations for the Vets!!!!!

12. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Rick, it will be great to have you there again, and thanks for thinking of the Vets. You know that it is not required to bring items....the cars are plenty. :)

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You can count me in, too! And hopefully this year junior can make it with me too, so that he can see, meet and apprecaite the Vets who help give us the freedoms that we enjoy, and all too often, take for granted.

14. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Frank, that would be great. I can see what I can do about getting him a ride on the 1921 Fire Engine if he can make it. May have to share the back with the Med Center Director's young'ins if they come again this year, but still would be fun if he never been on one before. :) If the Stutz is full up, maybe a ride in the old blue Bugatti.

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Why Thank You, Haley!....:)

16. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I may even show up this time :D

17. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Bill, it would be great to see you n Ruby there!

18. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Norm, I was in a bit after that when we used SSN's...but there is a whole lot of stuffs I did learn and will never forget. :)

19. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    June 30, 2007
    North Chicago Veterans Hospital
    3001 Green Bay Rd.
    North Chicago, Il 60064
    Registration starts @ 11:00am
    Veterans start viewing after they eat Noon meals.
    Parade ends festivities at roughly 3:45pm-4:00pm

:)

20. ZMC

ZMC Guest

Mar 20, 2007
    Milwaukee,WI
    Full Name:
    Billy Z
    Would my Z3 M Coupe be allowed 1200 imported in the US.

21. J Saber

J Saber Karting

Mar 4, 2006
    Gurnee, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Jay Morris
    I want to attend, so you guys can count me in!

22. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Sure can :) Will be good to have a BMW present
    Jay, that sounds great! Can't have too many convertible FCars! ;)

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The Z3 will feel oddly attracted to the 250 GTO and nobody will know why...

24. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Offspring would be interesting looking...and would not be like we are intermixing species! ;)

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ever seen one of those car parts manufacturers charts that shows you who is buying from whom? There is no such thing as a "pure breed". Everybody is mixing it up with everybody else.

Point in case: When I needed a duplicate of my ignition key, the key maker told me, that my original key came from a Yugo. A Yugo!

Of course a Yugo was a clone of the Fiat and Fiat makes a lot of the less glorious parts in a Ferrari.