Noble idea | FerrariChat

Noble idea

Discussion in 'British' started by donald, Apr 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    I am seriously thinking of selling my 328 GTS and buying a Noble. Has anyone out there ever driven one? I was a passenger yesterday and was quite impressed with everything about the car.....beautiful too!

I am having a hard time finding a reason NOT to buy one. Low maintainance, good a/c, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, awesome looking, rare and exotic, comfortable, etc, etc. It is hard to find a car that will outperform this thing under 500K. Pre owned 04/05 M12 models go for 65K on up....m400's are in the 80's. There are only 234 in the US and the new model coming out will cost about 50K more than the current models.

http://1gracing.com/

I love the 328, but I may be ready for a change. I live in a high rise and parking is limited.....I am not making any fast decisions here, but may have to have a Noble!

2. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Well, aren't they not steet legal? I thought they were considered "kit cars" because they don't pass crash tests?

3. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    They are street legal. They are considered kit cars so that they don't have to put all the air bags and other stuff so they can have it without all that weight. I think you should definately should get one Donald! They are a blast to drive and are cheap to maintain. Here is a really good form you should check out http://www.nobleforums.com/index.php

4. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
  5. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I would get one, but I personally wouldn't sell a 328 in exchange...But, that's just me...I DO like the looks and performance though!

6. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Impressive performance, but that is it IMO. You will miss your 328. I sold mine to buy my Esprit V8, and although the Lotus is faster and handles better, the 328 was a wonderful car to own.

7. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Exactly my views as well...Just something with the style...Aren't the values going up as well?

8. TrentS

TrentS Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2005
    South Florida
    His username escapes me at the moment, but there's a guy in the Southern California section who's had a Noble for a while... You might ask in there, I'm sure he'll chime in.

9. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Swap a 328 for a kit car? Give your head a shake, pal.

10. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Brav
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/member.php?u=26799

11. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    They are very kit carish imo.

12. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    They certainly are fast but the interior leaves something to be desired. That and the rear wing are the only things I dislike about the car. But, the interior is a no go for me. It just looks cheap. The rest of the car has a very nice fit and finish to it though.

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I say go for it! Personal taste means quite a bit, for those knocking you to keep the 328 I say quantify it. If you place performance above pedigree I think you are making a good choice having started doing your homework on them. If you can only have one car and one car only, getting the Noble means you've owned both at one point in your life. If the 328 isn't your dream car, get to daydreamin'. :D

14. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you have any questions you should contact (BRAV) on this board. He owns one and is very knowledgeable.

15. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanks for the comments! I contact Brav via PM.

I would remove the rear wing day one. It comes off with 4 bolts very easily and you just plug the holes until you want to go to the track and put the wing on.

I was in an M400 with a suede type interior.....better than I had expected as I had heard the interior was not so great. It is not the interior of a 360 however!!

there are only about 235 Nobles in the Us and there are plenty of 328's. I can always buy another one when I have the space and money is no object!

Still thinking.....

16. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    The M400 is a little nicer inside than the M12, but both are what you might call spartan. Hot too. I once described the parking brake as a cleverly placed Hibachi grill for road trip picnics. They ARE kit cars in the sense that so much depends on who builds it, but if it's a well-made one, it is a rocketship. F430 levels of performance. Seriously. Excellent car, especially for the money, but it lacks heritage and panache compared to a Ferrari. If you want a supercar and don't care so much about resale or rep, then it's a good choice. But be prepared to do some debugging and expect long delays for parts if it wasn't a perfect build. Registration can be a hassle in certain states too. I have pics of the M400 I drove and Brav's M12 in my galleries:

http://www.frank4cars.fotki.com/other_automotive_events/drivesruns/pines_to_palms/

http://www.frank4cars.fotki.com/other_automotive_events/drivesruns/paupers_run_coverage/paupers_run_day_2/page5.html

17. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanks. I wondered about resale and there is the argument that the limited available for vehicles in the US combined with the performance for the $$ will help it retain its value reasonably well. Maybe this thinking is flawed..

I am considering this or waiting a short while and getting a 360 F1. There is a huge price difference between the two cars and I know the 360 would depreciate plenty if I bought one now and held it for a two years. I am not sure I would have $30,000 (Price difference at the minimum for a used Noble vs an early 360) worth more fun with a 360 vs a Noble. That being said I need to drive a 360 and see what I think. My wife really wants the 360 because she could drive it with the F1.....

18. NobleForums

NobleForums Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    Full Name:
    Gabriel

It really depends on what you're looking for. It'll easily outperform your 328 (and a 430 too). However, the interior is simple, and the driving experience isn't sanitized (no abs, no traction control no cup holders, no seat warmers, no power windows, no power mirrors, no nav system, etc).

If you decide to buy used, BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHO DID THE BUILD. I cannot stress this enough. It's a make or break issue.

19. dynwolf

dynwolf Rookie

Sep 16, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    As a Noble Owner. (I own the one Frank drove) I would wholeheartedly recommend one if you're willing to put up with the fact that, as a British car, it will have it's share of foibles you'll have to deal with. (Heat being one of them.) Also, considering 1G is your only source for the car, warranty work, should you need it, will be a complete pain in the backside to get. They're incredibly helpful pre-sale and an incredible wealth of information, but should, say, your wiper motor burn out in the first 200 miles and cook your main fuse, fate will play hell with trying to get a replacement and get your installer reimbursed.

A truly epic car, when it's running right. (A phrase I'm well used to adopting considering it's my third English car.) You won't experience accelleration, deceleration or handling at a level anywhere close to the Noble for 2x the price.

Drop me a PM, and I'd be more than happy to share pro's and con's with you. If you're ever in the So. Cal area, you'd also be more than welcome to drive mine.

JM

20. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

#20 b-mak, Apr 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I hear they are great pre-sale, but I've also heard some horror, and I mean horror, stories about them post-sale. Sorry, I can't say any more here because it's apparent they'll threaten me with legal action for telling the truth.

22. Brav

Brav Formula 3

Nov 20, 2005
    OC, Rome
    Full Name:
    Chris
    well, its not really a home built car. Only 2 or 3 people have done the instal at home. The rest have relied on professionals. The problem is not all professionals are .. professionals. As Mentioned, the installer is the most critical point to the car. Little is needed out of the box to make the car perfect. It is by no means a "kit car" either as you could buy one off the showroom floor in the UK. Just as other cars (Skyline, etc) come to the States sans drivetrain, so does the Noble. Every car in the US has had the factory spec engine put in. Fit and finish is excellent, yet extremely spartan. I sent you a PM with some links to other threads I have posted on.

23. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Give it 10 years, and that $100K + Noble kit car will be worth all of $20K. If you're lucky. Sounds like pretty expensive driving to me.

24. Brav

Brav Formula 3

Nov 20, 2005
    OC, Rome
    Full Name:
    Chris
    May I enquire to your qualifications as Noble Expert? Bad experience? Curious.

25. Limeade

Limeade Karting

Mar 20, 2006
    You sound a little bitter, granted it's no Ferrari "because we know they are hand built by the gods" but some people care about performane. Try to not get so jealous about a car that stomps on just about everything Ferrari has ever made performance wise.