Who has a lot of miles on their 348? How has it held up? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Who has a lot of miles on their 348? How has it held up?

Discussion in '348/355' started by tbsb9595, Apr 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeffwh

jeffwh Karting

Oct 6, 2006
    White
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I agree - I'd rather have manual windows as well, at least then I wouldn't be afraid that they weren't going to come back up after I put them down....

I also agree that not having power steering or an automatic is what this car is about - you really get to drive it. I'll use my Merc for comfort driving - the 348 is just a blast to drive. I have 23K on mine and drive it whenever the weather is clear and there is no salt on the road. My wife and I did take it Christmas shopping last year, but our malls must be much safer where I live, most people just wanted to look at it. We were also amazed at how much you can put in the car while shopping.

2. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    I'm with you except on one thing. I never want a car with manual windows again. What a pain.
    Bee Jay

3. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Yeah that is why the F40 is so undesireable :eek:................................. NOT :p :p!!!

4. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    We don't have TiVo over here.

hmmmm.....Interesting idea. I'll have a look at the website.

5. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Life without TiVo? How do you survive?

6. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    There are a million reasons to not drive the car. There's only one reason to drive it....and that's all I need! :D :D
    I'll be glad to leave mine in the garage for a few days and drive yours! After all, what are friends for?

7. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I've heard all the horror stories about valets, parking lot dings, keying, etc., and I recognize that the offended scream loudly and for good reason. But my personal experience has been quite different (knock on wood). In nearly 40 years of driving in all conditions and neighborhoods, I've yet to experience the wrath of these automotive terrorists of whom you speak. Additionally, I refuse to alter my life as a result of their actions. So I'll continue to carefully park my car in the far end of the parking lot under a light. In the immortal (paraphrased) words of Nathan Hale "Give me liberty to drive my Ferrari or give me death!"

8. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Yeah, Baby!

9. dan_west348ts

dan_west348ts Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Hollister, CA
    Full Name:
    Dan West
    I am approaching 60,000 miles on mine. I purchased with it with 22,500 miles. I drive it to work sometimes. We have a gated parking garage.

My 348ts suffers more in my garage at home than if I take it to work. The damn cat likes to scratch it. The detail guy gets the scratches out.

These cars are made to driven! Drive it and have no regrets.

Dan

10. F512M

F512M Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Lawrence

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'm not one to kiss and tell.... but when my 348 (45K miles) is back in the garage, I'll have one heck of a good fish story.

Last I heard, the good doctor was going to remove the oxygen tent this week, and see if she could breath on her own.

-d

p.s. If I have to drive that piece of crap Saturn one more mile, I swear I'll poop in the drivers seat and leave it on the side of the highway.

12. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    I owned two 348s, a 1992 ts and a 1994 spider.

The 348 ts (92) was in the shop ALOT. The culprit was the 1-4 ECU light and occasionally the 5-8 light. The dealer never could quite get the car to stop burning up ECU's. On a trip to Denver, Colorado in 1994, the car was running along and all of a sudden everything just cut off. I coasted to the shoulder and sat there for an hour or more. I guess it cooled off enough and started with no problem. I drove into the dealership (useta be on Colfax Ave) and they replaced some stuff. Car performed great for another six months or so without a problem. I drove my 348 so much and put over 59k miles on it in just over three years. I loved it, but wanted another Ferrari so I sold the ts and got the Spider. Does anyone have an answer for these issues I am referring too?

The 348 Spider (94) had problems with the ECUs as well but not as frequently. However the culprit was electrical. I bought it with 10k miles and after 25k things began to go haywire. I would have problems with the windows going up and down when I didn't touch the switch. Strange! Despite these issues the 348s are great cars. They get over 20mpg which is really good for a Ferrari. I would buy another one and might one of these days. I want a 1994 tb or possibly a 348 Serie Speciale.
    FM

13. Mark_M5

Mark_M5 Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Ventura County, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I wouldn't mind putting some mileage on it for you! :D I work nearby VCR and there are lots of nice, safe parking spots in the lot. I might even consider letting you put some miles on my M5 in exchange... although the prospect of mall rats damaging my baby isn't very appealing.

I was at VCR on 3/10 snapping pics. There were two 348's there, and I got some pics of them...

14. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Post some of your pics.

One was plugzit and the other was a red Spider? I don't know him, be he shows up every once in a while.

Did the 348ss show up?

I'll be there Sunday (I hope)

15. Mark_M5

Mark_M5 Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Ventura County, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #40 Mark_M5, Apr 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Mark_M5

Mark_M5 Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Ventura County, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
  17. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    I have a ts, but after owning the car I would have liked a spider better.
    I have not had any electrical problems with my 90 with the exception of that
    clock resets sometimes.
    Other than that just minor stuff that I could repair myself.
    the car has actually been reliable.

18. cforg308

cforg308 Karting

Nov 16, 2004
    Stroudsburg PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The 348 is just underrated! It should command a higher price & more respect. When I look at the 348 next to the 355 I think I like the front end of the 348 better. I took mine out last night for the second time this week & the second time since last fall & it performed awesome. It's a thrilling rush & an awesome machine. I wonder if the people who actually complain about the car have had any real time behind the wheel.

19. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Wonder how it would do with studs in the snow? :D
    I think lots of people just like to complain!

20. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    That 348 front spoiler lip looks familiar ;) !!

I agree the 348's front spoiler does look a bit more agressive than the 355's. Though the 348 rear looks like it is missing something at the rear of the lid :( oh yeah.....its missing a 355 lid :p ;)

21. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    #46 chrisx666, Apr 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Back to the original question. I too was originally looking for less miles than the one I bought with 38k on the clock.
    I looked at some with substantially less miles (25k ish) that rattled more, felt slower and had worn interiors. Maybe they had driven a hard 25k, maybe the speedo was disconnected for half the year - who knows.
    Current condition matters more than indicated mileage IMO.

To pick up a point made earlier. How many 348 engines have been rebuilt because they are 'worn out'. I know that some get bent when the belt is left on for 7 years but worn bores/bearing shells/valve guides???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Durpen

Durpen Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    South of Boston, USA
    Full Name:
    Kirk N
    I bought my 348 Spider last April with 35,200 miles on it.
    I had a PPI done by a guy who knows 348s real well and i had an engine out done.
    I have put about 2,500 miles on it since I bought it, which I know isn't alot. But the car will sit in the garage for weeks and then start right up and run perfectly.
    The only problem the car had when I bought it was the clock, which flashes 000 all the time. I know what the fix is, but I have very little time for car work and many cars to work on... it just isn't a priority.
    Other than the clock, I haven't had a single problem with the car - it doesn't even leak oil - I'm amazed!

Signed,
    A very happy 348 owner

23. Ski Guy 348

Ski Guy 348 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Jay M.
    My Spider is pushing close to 110,000 miles. The car still runs great!! No major problems since new. They do not blow at 100K!!!!!

24. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I thought it was all in my head but i seem to get about 18mpg on the hwy as well.

25. kingsdare

kingsdare Karting

Oct 24, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    David King
    You are my hero!!! Post a picture of your speedo so I can frame it. BTW, your car looks great!

Seems low to me, I regularly get 25mpg on the hwy. 18mpg around town.