Any past / present BMW Z4 //M Coupe or Roadster owners? | FerrariChat

Any past / present BMW Z4 //M Coupe or Roadster owners?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Eric308gtsiqv, Apr 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Was recently at the dealer to look at the new X5i, and the Z4 Coupe really caught my eye. Am currently "on the fence" about purchasing the //M version -- Sepang Bronze / Sepang Brown with all options except heated seats and HD radio.

Wife and I took it for a fairly lengthy test-drive and was very impressed for the most part with the performance and handling of this car. The only exception would be the rather "notchy" shifter, and awkward 1st / 2nd gear / clutch modulation. For the life of me, I just couldn't get a smooth acceleration from stop until at least 3rd gear or higher -- at least not without giving my wife "whiplash" :). After doing some research, I found that there was an aftermarket clutch valve that would help solve the issue, but still wonder why BMW hasn't addressed it.

At any rate, was curious if there were any prior or current owners here on the forum -- and, if so, what your thoughts / experiences are or have been with these cars. Anything to watch out for?

Also, do any of you have or know of a favorite forum for either the Z4 and/or the //M versions of the Z4?

Thanks in advance for any input or recommendations, as I'm completely new to the BMW experience.

2. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    I love the lines of the Z4 coupe. Have your visited bimmerforums.com?

Best,

-n

3. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    #3 Eric308gtsiqv, Apr 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree, Noel...those lines are very captivating in an odd sort of way...it's almost hard to describe. Thanks for the forum tip -- I'll check it out.

Found a couple of pics of the color that I'm considering (the color probably isn't for everyone, but I really like it in the "flesh"):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Non-owner, but have spent considerable seat time in them. The Z4 has one of the most communicative chassis on the planet. I find I always know what each contact patch is doing and that blows me away every time.

5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    not quite what you want but I had an Z3 M Roadster for 4 years... single most fun car Ive ever had ( and that includes a 355, Elise and a Viper )... you can toss that thing anywhere and it sticks...

6. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Reminds me of my old Datsun 240Z. :) That car also had a 50/50 weight balance.

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Sorry, but for me the best looking Z convrt was somewhere around 98-00 with the pre "high rear fender version"....the 2.8???

The Z4 is a Caddy, Audi TT, Cayman, 280 Z and a few other things thrown in blender. The orginal Z3 was something in it's own right and didn't have to take styling cues from other cars.

JMWO...Just My Worthless Opinion =)

8. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Thanks everyone for the replies thus far -- they've been very informative.

The styling of the coupe is certainly "polarizing" amongst people I've talked to in the last few days -- as is the color combo. -- both of which I find appealing for some reason.

These cars certainly do handle superbly -- at least from what I could gather from the test drive.

Still trying to decide whether or not to wait a year or so and buy one outright (especially since I've read rumors that the new //M3's 8-cylinder motor might find its way into a possibly redesigned / updated Z4 //M coupe and roadster), or trade the C6 Vette for it now since the dealer has the exact coupe in the color and options sitting on their lot now.

Just finding it hard to justify trading the Corvette as it has more options, bigger engine, more hp, and more versatility. Perhaps it'd be better to wait, and then we could enjoy both cars. Decisions, decisions...

9. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    i have to squint to like the design. all those arbitrary creases turn off my sense of what is proper design.

that brown color will be about sale proof, imho. so you better really love it!

tom w