Squealing belts | FerrariChat

Squealing belts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by silverfox, Aug 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silverfox

silverfox Rookie

Jul 26, 2006
    Switzerland, Bern
    Full Name:
    Rob the Canadian
    Yes, unlike a lot of people, I have no garage so my 308 sits in the yard, rain or shine. The first time it rained, the engine was soaked and I went for a drive. The belts squealed for 5-10 kms, squealing stopped, then the engine temp rose and rose, battery light came on, and low and behold, the belt burnt and the water pump and alternator stopped. So after the water pump was changed, bad bearing, the belt was changed and still now, when it rains, the belt, (belts), squeal for 5-10 kms and everytime after I stop and start, for 2 hours or so, the belts drive me crazy and, of course, the world notices the FERRARI SQUEALING!!!!! gggrrrrrr. No one would even look if it was a Jap car...
    Living in Europe, we don't have "belt dressings" etc like in N.A. which I don't think cures any problems anyway. Any ideas from people who have similar probs?
    Thanks for your input...
    Rob

2. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    If possible I would get a very nice car cover that is waterproof or very heavily water resistant. If this is only happening when water gets in the engine bay, that should greatly help if not eliminate the problem.

3. my_adidas

my_adidas Karting
    BANNED

Jun 22, 2005
    That's not good for the belts. Your gonna glaze them and have to have them replaced.
    Why not just tighted them?

4. silverfox

silverfox Rookie

Jul 26, 2006
    Switzerland, Bern
    Full Name:
    Rob the Canadian
    It just came back from the garage getting a new water pump and belts. I checked the tension also, and they seem fine. A bit thinner than a N.A. car, but should be fairly strong.

5. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    The earlier single belt design is borderline adequate anyway, even without getting it wet. The single 7mm alternator/water pump belt was later upgraded to two belts, a 7mm belt for the water pump and a 13mm belt for the alternator. A service bulletin was issued dated 12/29/84 which details a kit to upgrade the earlier cars which were having problems.

I'm in the process of upgrading my Mondial right now. T-Rutlands have found the waterpump belt tensioner, the alternator bracket, and the belts for me, but I'm still trying to find a 13mm alternator pullley. I don't need the crank pulley because of another project I've got underway... I'm adding a supercharger to fix the horsepower problem. Grin! "mke" has been a bad influence on me!
    Thor
    www.JavelinArt.com

6. f360racer

f360racer Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    Renton, WA
    Full Name:
    PJ Z
    My 83 308 GTS belts squeeked too. Just before the belts burned up. I had the w/p changed the first time as I thought it was the culprit. It looked fine but just in case it was changed. The next time I just changed the belts, myself. The few other times the car overheated it was the cap that was loose or the last time the heater hose blew( at the engine clamp) Now with all new hoses front to back and a flushed system and a 1.1bar cap I have my fingers crossed that no more overheating.

If I hear squeeling belts I will not ignore them and I will limp home if close or tighten them on the spot!! I can only handle burnt belts so many times.

Viel Gluck,

Philip Z

7. silverfox

silverfox Rookie

Jul 26, 2006
    Switzerland, Bern
    Full Name:
    Rob the Canadian
    Here here!!! You figure a car of this value and prestige, this would have been thought of from the first one built. In 1978, it certainly wasn't the first time they used belts to run accessories. Maybe will keep a pair of pantyhose in the car just in case it snaps again! they don't squeal!!! just the women who wear them do ..hehe

8. volkster999

volkster999 Karting

Sep 22, 2005
    CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Volkmar
    I had a similar problem on a different car and it turned out that the parts store had given me the wrong belt! Just something to check.

9. f360racer

f360racer Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    Renton, WA
    Full Name:
    PJ Z

After this happened to me again...grrr! I want to check the tension properly. I bought the KR-2 guage but settings and location prevent proper tension checking. Maybe a fish scale with the manual tension check method would be better.

But if this happens again, away from home, does belt dressing work? At the Napa store today I was told to skip the belt dressings available and use Door Lube. A stick applied lube. Seems counter productive (lube) on belt but the tech was adamant that it works.

Second option is the upgrade to two belts and $$$$ I'm sure.

Philip

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #10 PAP 348, Apr 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    Gave my car it's first bath the other day and afterwards the belts squeeled for about 30 seconds, then stopped. As far as I know, no big deal....

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Belt dressing will help, but once they slip awhile they are glazed...

Also pay attention to the pulley surfaces, knock the glaze off them with some sandpaper........

And I'd tighten them slightly......

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Many single belt 308's have been doing this since they were new. Not all have this problem and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which cars will be affected in this way. A tech bulletin was issued to the dealers in 12/83 addressing this problem and Ferrari provided a kit to update any car doing it to a two belt set up. I have one of the cars with the problem. I lost about 5 belts in 8 years which is absolutely unacceptable. Brian at T Rutlands was a tremendous (and I really mean tremendous) help. He was able to put together a kit for my car. It took about 2 months to source all the parts since they are no longer available from Ferrari but Brian found everything all the way down to every last washer. We even had to search out a parts car out in California for some of the items but we got it all. It's on and so far - 12 months total - it has stayed together.

One tip: forget trying to find the belt cover. It would not go on my car at all. It's cute and everything but if it won't fit it won't fit so just save the cost of it and move on.

14. f360racer

f360racer Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    Renton, WA
    Full Name:
    PJ Z
    An update on the 308 belt woes. I found the KR-2 Tensionometer at Napa. However to test the WP/Alt belt it needs to be 84-99 lbs at the "A" arrow in the photo in the owners manual. The guage starts at 100. Close enough probably but that doesn't solve getting the guage in the right position. Impossible, at least with this belt and location. I need a fish scale that is accurate at 6lbs that I can simply hook the belt and pull down.

Anyone else have a better idea on the tension needed and how best to verify it. I am almost at the end of adjustment with the alt and it seems if we measure distance from the end of adjustment to the nut will simplify this quest for proper tension for many. All we need is someone with an engine out to measure this distance when the belt is up to spec tension. Any takers?

Philip

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Hi,

I lived in Montreux for a couple of years back in the 90's... seems to me that I remember there being an exotic / Ferrari dealer outside Geneva right on the lake...close to Yens or Mourge.... I would think they can get you the dressing you need... I think its George is the tech. ... very nice guys!

16. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    I just had my 2-belt system upgraded to a 3-belt system, which I should get back tomorrow from the shop. I had a hell of a time finding a 3-belt crank pulley, and I ended up fabricating a tensioner bracket for the alternator, since I have a CNC plasma cutter in my shop and I was tired of trying to find rare pricey parts.

Now my second radiator fan and engine oil radiator fan drawing extra amperage won't be a problem. The tiny 7mm belt just wasn't designed to handle the additional torque/amperage my larger alternator is putting out.

17. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Only other thing I didn't notice mentioned is a coolant leak. A small leak from the hose at the thermostat drops guess where? And then it squeals.

Seamus

18. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    At Watkins Glen last weekend, in the rain, my Mondial 8 alternator/water pump belt (brand new 250 miles ago) started squealing. I have experienced this on many cars before; the solution has always been to let it go and the engine heat will dry it out. Not so with this car. The belt melted into a stringy mess. Never saw this happen before. Obviously an inadequate design. Is there anything new in the world of upgrades? Toothed belts and pulleys?

19. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No doubt that it is an aggresive design without a lot of margin -- but on the plus side, it has less HP loss that the usual set-up. Are you sure that your WP and alternator are turning freely/easily?

20. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Interesting discussion here. I see that Nick's new design WP has a detatchable pulley so that would mean you could go with different pulley designs and thickness. Also a few years back I saw a 308 track car with a tooth belt set up . This was a Gulf car and I didn't get a chance to ask the owner where he got the setup. So he ran a toothed belt that went from the crank to the WP. It was about 1 " thick. Also the pulley design was done so the adjustment was done in the pulley. I've done some internet searches but have not found anything that looks adaptable. Anyone in the rase crowd found this type of stuff?

21. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    The Buddy Christ! I love it. Been threatening to mount one on my dash for years! Nice job PAP!

Sorry for the hi-jack. As you were....

22. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    Yes, I was very surprised to find that the wp and alt turn very freely. I thought for sure that I would find the alt seized. But no, it appearantly was just a loose belt. As I said, though, I have never seen this happen on any other car, so I will be forever uncomfortable with this setup. What did Ferrari do on later model Mondials/308's, and could a newer setup be transferred to an '81?

23. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I think a toothed belt set-up (possible even w/ a tensioner) would be a no-brainer seller if someone could come up with the desgin.

24. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    maybe timing belts for a small japanese engine. you could adapt the engine pulleys.

25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

It happens. The only "fix" that I have EVER heard of is the 2 belt setup that I mentioned earlier in this thread. And, like I said before the fix was a factory recommendation because they saw this problem as far back as 83. I was lucky in that somehow found all the correct parts last year to do the conversion. Thor did what I did with a little different twist too. Mine was finished over a year and a half ago. So far no more problems.

I feel your pain having walked the walk (literally) several times myself.