best way to purchase a new rolex ladies datejust | FerrariChat

best way to purchase a new rolex ladies datejust

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by gonnagetone, Apr 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gonnagetone

gonnagetone Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    dc metro area.
    Full Name:
    venky
    looking for best price

whats the best way to get the best price?

2. ErikV10

ErikV10 Formula 3

Oct 30, 2006
    Rolex Ladies' Datejust ranges from about $4000 to all the way up to $6600. The best way you could do to get the best price is go from one store to another and compare the prices. You could also search it up online at www.steindiamonds.com.

Good Luck on the search!

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Rolex dealers are required to adhere to fixed pricing on new Rolexes, from what I remember. They are not allowed to discount - at all. Has this changed?

4. CarbonJ

CarbonJ Karting

Mar 29, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jason

Please don't buy online. Rolex/Tagand other Swiss makers don't allow their watches to be bought online. There are a lot of answers as to why, do a search. Go to a place like Jared's and deal with them. I bought my tag for $400 under retail, $200 above what I could have bought it for on the net.

My thoughts are.... If you can't afford to pay retail..... You shouldn't be looking at that type of a watch anyways.

Good luck and shop around. Some places won't offer any type of discount, but it never hurts to ask.

5. ErikV10

ErikV10 Formula 3

Oct 30, 2006
    True. Salespeople from Jared told us that Rolex don't offer warranty for something you bought online. We never buy really expensive stuff online.

6. edd1e22

edd1e22 Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    N. California
    Full Name:
    Edward
    There is a huge florishing grey market on the internet. I work with a few grey market brokers who send me a watch with a return slip without even being paid. If I like the watch, I send them money. Otherwise I just repack and attach the return slip and send back. These are Pateks and Lange(50-100k) watches being sold by grey market guys. Since it is for your GF(SO) I would say you would like to buy new. Try places like:

www.timezone.com

www.watchnet.com

and look for the repeat posters. Paladin is a good guy and a few Vincent Lee but his prices are a bit high. When I say high it is still much cheaper then from the Authorized Dealer(AD). My AD give me at least 15% off list and no tax. Sometimes I can wrangle 20% on 15k and higher watches. Good luck and if you need some references on a particular grey market dealer just PM me.

7. edd1e22

edd1e22 Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    N. California
    Full Name:
    Edward
    This is just a BS line they feed you. 5-10% on SS and 10-15% on gold is pretty standard. The higher % is for repeaters. I can usually do better as I've spend 250-300k at my dealer. Their cost on a watch is 55% of list. I always look for older watches(tell by serial number) and bargain hard on those. They've been sitting for a while and usually want to move them to recoup their money. Plus the watch has been through a few price hikes so their actual cost is like 40% of the sticker not factoring time value of money. AD's usually gotta pay COD on product.

8. CarbonJ

CarbonJ Karting

Mar 29, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jason
    you don't seem very knowledgable about rolex's if you've spent as much as you say you have.

9. edd1e22

edd1e22 Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    N. California
    Full Name:
    Edward
    what part of my post do you find issue with? Most of my funds have been spent on PP at that particular AD I was referring to.

10. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My take on it is that ANYTHING THAT IS OVER $500 IS JEWELERY NOT A WATCH

11. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
  12. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
  13. CarbonJ

CarbonJ Karting

Mar 29, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Rolex does have a special lock on their prices and what affiliates can sell their watches for. I definitely believe that you got a great rate on some of your Rolex's because of the dollars you've spent (As I've said in my original post about talking to retailers about getting a good price)... but Rolex has a strict policy on retailers that discount. I've heard stories about them sending personnel to stores to check on pricing. I just didn't agree with you saying it's BS that such a policy exists.

14. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    My experience parallels edd1e22's re: Rolexes.

IMO you can pay full retail (or close) and get it from a store, or save a bunch buying online. If you go with a reputable seller, you don't really lose much buying from them vs. going with an authorized dealer. Many of them will service the watches too, so the OEM Warranty is not as big of a deal. You can save a LOT going with a broker.

It's just like anything else - people selling at a higher price point will tout the benefits of buying from them, what else would you expect? But if you are looking for a deal, a reputable dealer who is not factory authorized (i.e. gray market) is where it's at.

Check with Luxury Bazaar and you may want to PM Darth550 - I believe he has a connection to various watches (I dont know if either of those people are AD's or not, just know they are honest and deal in watches, directly for LB and indirectly for Darth).

15. edd1e22

edd1e22 Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    N. California
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Carbon J - I believe you misunderstood what I was saying. Rolex does not say you can not discount at all. Rolex allows for a 5-10% discount and that is standard across all AD. Anything steeper then that...Rolex frowns which translates into your order suddenly taking a year instead of a month and you no longer get any high demand watches(IE: SS daytona). I buy USUALLY from my AD because my pricing is the same as grey market when it comes to Rolex. Now for those who aren't hooked up, you gotta go the grey market route. My AD will give me those discounts that Rolex frowns on because they know that I'm not a Rolex mystery shopper. I also have access to as many SS daytonas as I want. I got one of the first green subs in CA and anytime a new model comes out I get first dibs. I also have an understanding with my AD that no watch I buy will end up on the internet NIB within 6 months of me buying it. I usually keep my watches for a few years anyway before switching them up.

16. DavidsF355Spider

DavidsF355Spider Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2005
    Torrance, California
    Full Name:
    David
    See Chris - VTC4198 He's a watch dealer

17. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I bought my wifes gold Rolex from an AD and got nearly a 30% discount. Shop around, ask the dealers. Some will deal with you.

I've never bought a watch for less than a 30% discount, and have purchased from online dealers as well. Bought my Tag and my Omega online, both have been fine. The Tag needed repairs, the online dealer just sent me a new watch.

18. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've been offered 10-15% off Rolex's at authorized dealers with not much coaxing. I've only purchased 2 Rolex's but they are definitely a discounted watch.

19. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I have an 18K masterpiece (ladies) with diamonds (Rolex diamonds) that I want to sell. Mother of pearl face...diamond bezel and face, and box and all. PM me if interested

20. edd1e22

edd1e22 Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    N. California
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Women's watches are discounted heavily. There are many factors that play into the discount. I can't say I've been given 30% off but I've gotten 23% and no tax by shipping it out of state to my Tahoe residence. The discounts I listed are basically as you found out where they start. Your bargaining skills will determine how much further it will get.

21. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    Very true....

Unfortunately, I learned this lesson from my insurance company.... :(

22. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Go on a cruise and buy it in St Martin or St Thomas.