Those unique 1980 308 2V "i" vertical console gauges | FerrariChat

Those unique 1980 308 2V "i" vertical console gauges

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Apr 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #1 dave80gtsi, Apr 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Those unique 1980 308 2V "i" vertical console gauges

Ever since I've purchased my own 308, I've been intrigued by the unique-to-the-model-year-1980 vertical console gauge orientation for the clock and oil temp gauges.

As near as I can figure, this console orientation was only used for the 1980 model year "i" cars, with all 1981 and newer 308's going to the more well-known side-by-side horizontal gauge orientation.

In fact, there's a number of other unique 308 features that I've been able to identify which seem to only have been used for a short time during the 1980 model year. For example, most 1980 cars such as mine have the vertical console gauges (as mentioned, and as can be seen below), manual outside driver mirror and manual door locks, and 14" wheels in lieu of the much-admired (?) later TRX wheels. It has been my theory that all of these changes were made in one fell swoop at the time of the change-over to the 1981 model year.

And somewhere in this mix, there was also a change from silver Nardi steering wheel spokes to black spokes - I haven't quite been able to sort that one, either. Then there's also that odd use of a GTS dash badge on a GTSi ... but I digress ...

The reason for this posting is to try to document at what serial number point the switchover of gauges / mirrors / locks / 14" wheels / steering wheel color occurred.

My own car is serial no. 33589 built in September of 1980. The latest car with vertical gauges that I have been able to document so far is car no. 34031.

Does anyone here have a 308 "i" with a later serial number than 34301 which still has the vertical gauges / manual mirror and locks / 14" wheel package? Or maybe a number earlier than 34031 which has the later side-by-side gauges, power mirror and locks, and / or TRX? Or else perhaps some odd combination of TRX wheels and vertical gauges? Or maybe side-by-side gauges and manual mirrors and locks? Or some other mutant variation on any of the above variables?

Or, perhaps these veritical gauges and other features are simply unique to USA-spec market cars only?

Thanks and Cheers - DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #2 climb, Apr 6, 2007
    Dunno...I've got a '80 gtsi too and just noticed the GTS dash badge on mine.
    At least these things give the less desireable year '80 cars a little character.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    One of my hobbies is nearly the same as this but I enjoy learning the differences between the whole range of the 2V injected cars. I spend about a year driving myself crazy trying to find out which car began using black stalks on the steering wheel instead of silver.

4. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch
    My car is an '81 GTSi #34999. It has side by side gauges, manual locks and manual mirror.

5. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Early 1981 cars have the vertical guages too. 1980 cars also have an extra kick plate by the doors where post 80 cars have carpet running all the way to the door gaskets...and just the single outer kick plate....

6. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Just realized i have a speedometer that only goes to 80mph.

7. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch
    My 1981 has the extra kick plate as well. I'm missing the passenger side plate and I'm having a hard time finding one.

8. AWulff

AWulff Rookie

#8 AWulff, Apr 8, 2007
    308GTBi VIN # 32603 June 1980..
    Mirror on drivers side only, vertical gauges, extra kick plate as well, GTB dash badge, black stalks on the steering wheel, but has 16” rims as this was an early option in 1980.. Also noticed trim on rear deck (see photo) that some do not have.

9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    A lot of the things you are asking about are actually continued from older cars. Actually all of it except the console gauges, those are over by my left knee on a '78. In fact the console on older cars is flat all the way to the firewall.

Other than that...the kick plate, manual mirror and locks all are carried over from older models.

Oh and by the way I think the change to Nardi steering wheels was deliberate at the "i" change. Not sure about the spoke colors though.

10. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    The 81 GTS I've been working on oringinally had elec locks. Hope the owner doesn't read this and want them fixed.

11. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Stuart just think you cannot get a speeding ticket over 80
    mlies an hour lol
    DM

12. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch
    Okay. That's 34999. I guess it had electric locks and I didn't know it. That won't be a problem, will it Tom???

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This is brilliant. Wonder what happened to all those old speedos everyone tossed out when the law changed...

14. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Not if the emphasis is on HAD.

15. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Jammin, you need to call either GT Car Parts here in Phoenix or T. Rutlands.

16. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Look for yourself officer...said i was going 80 mph.

17. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Stuart, I have a Garmin GPS 72 portable i keep in the cars tells you exact speed you know these speedo's are inaccurate good thing to have
    DM

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It was. Some early 80 inj cars had silver spokes. Somewhere on the 1980 model run they went black.

19. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    My 1981 was built December 1980 black nardi spokes in according to the owners site it list it as 1980 Title 1981 if this helps you a litte
    DM