The first twist of the key... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The first twist of the key...

Discussion in '348/355' started by Nicksta, Mar 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Yes, 355's are 'very' dynamic :eek:, more than any other car I have owned to date :D :D !!

2. 2DUCKS

2DUCKS Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    K
    Great write up!
    And Congratulations again!

3. Nicksta

Nicksta Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    DC Ranch & NY, NY
    Full Name:
    Nick Ingle
    #28 Nicksta, Mar 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Nicksta

Nicksta Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    DC Ranch & NY, NY
    Full Name:
    Nick Ingle
    #29 Nicksta, Mar 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Ace503

Ace503 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Korben Dallas
    Thats an awesome story! I love to see that, and hear these kinds of storys, about the fulfillment of a life long dream. These cars are so much more than just a car.

EDIT- Just saw the pics! Beautiful car, she looks great! Congrats. I already know your enjoying her!

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Absolutely gorgeous Nick! :D:D
    Another Ferrari that has tinted windows like my 348. ;);)
    Congrats and I cant wait to see more pics. :):)
    Enjoy in good health mate! :D:D

7. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I remember that day when I cranked over the 348 for its first cruise. Sweet reminder. Every time I turn it over now, I pause a sec to remember that day. Drive it like you stole it is what a wise old man (one of the Brotherhood) once told me and I past this along to you.

8. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Wonderful, descriptive writing.

I'm in your situation almost exactly and hope to be in your shoes later this year. I've been a 355 fanatic for at least 7 years and have been "over-researching" the car continuously for 3. I came within a gnat's rear end of pulling the trigger on a 1998 GTB last summer, but a PPI came back questionable. I even looked at the car you purchased multiple times via Ferrariads. You have excellent taste - ENJOY!

9. F355 Spider

F355 Spider Formula 3

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Sonny
    Nice write up Nicksta... And welcome to the 355 fraternity... You will learn (in case you can't tell) this is a good group of dudes and I think a few ladies, to share you frustrations and joy with during ownership....

10. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    So cool dude:D Congrats:D

11. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Nice pics!!! :D

Off subject: Nice avatar Gershwin!!! :p

12. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Great write-up, beautiful pictures.

13. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Very cool! I look forward to one day sliding behind the wheel of my very own F355, in white. :)

The write-up painted a mental picture in my head that really sealed in that this car has a proper enthusiast owner. Take care of it, and DRIVE IT!! :D

14. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Way to go Bro!!! You'll be smiling for quite some time. I still am after 4 years!!

These 2 comments sum it up for me best though:

"I breezed through curves at speeds that seemed entirely reasonable until I glanced at the speedo. "

"This car was purchased not to be an exhibition of me, but for personal enjoyment of motoring that I have pursued since youth."

regards

15. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That story hit the spot! Congratulations! Exact car I want to get!

16. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

I've been throwing away magazines this week. I've got the Road & Track "Special Series" for March of 1995 with their front page cover and road test of the new 1995 Ferrari 355B.

If you want it, just pm me your address before my Monday trash pickup comes. I'd rather mail it to you (or any other 355 fanatic) for free than toss it away.

Oh, I've also got the Road & Track January 1997 issue (cover is creased, though, pity) "Ferrari Frenzy - Ferrari 50th Anniversary Collector Issue" that road tests the F355 Spider vs F50 (SPOILER: F355 Spider was *faster* in the slolum btw).

No big deal. I'm either tossing them Monday or mailing them if anyone wants 'em.

17. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Not to but in, but if he does not want them I will gladly take them off your hands. I'll even pay shipping. Please let me know.

Regards,

PaulK

18. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The Road & Track roadtest of the F355B makes some interesting claims. For one thing, it says that 355 owners can turn off the ABS system at will.

For another, it says that the front 355 bumper is smaller than the 348 front bumper.

...and it says that the 355 A/C blows more air than earlier Ferrari air conditioners.

I've got a 348, which I'm under the impression has the same A/C system, same ABS system, and identically-sized front bumper, so those claims really jumped out at me.

Another interesting thing in that issue is that R&T tested a non-airbag-equipped 355B, so the dash looks more like a 348 (a glovebox!).

The 1995 Road & Track "Ferrari Frenzy" edition goes on to rave about the Motronic 2.7 (shared by 348, that years 355, and the F-50 being tested). I'd have to agree here, but it's interesting to me how Road & Track flipped over to Motronic 5.2 fans in later years (a system that compared to M2.7 is not as easy for the Ferrari owner to program, less documentation, no built-in-to-the-car error diagnosis, less horsepower output, etc.).

19. Nicksta

Nicksta Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    DC Ranch & NY, NY
    Full Name:
    Nick Ingle
    You know what - I have those Motor Trend issues, too! I actually set them aside to scan as well. My library is filling up with retro car magazines, but I don't mind.

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed my brief essay. Every time I walk past the car, I get a little jolt of adrenaline and glance at my watch to see if I have time for a little drive.

20. stuckinkuwait

stuckinkuwait Formula Junior

Jul 25, 2004
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Lenny S
    Driving a Ferrari is like having a mistress that never complains of a headache!

21. FullChat

FullChat Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    But the Ferrari "headaches" are more expensive than most mistresses...

22. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Not sure, I am building a house, and everytime I say "that costs a ton of money and doesn't do anything we can't already do" she says "sounds like something out in the garage."

And then we get whatever she wants!

23. tchaic

tchaic Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris M.....
    I just bought a 355 Spyder a few weeks ago and your essay sums up my thoughts exactly. Although I must admit I have a little more vanity then you and enjoy the attention a Ferrari brings. Although I don't enjoy the attention it draws from the authorities. I got my first ticket in years 45 minutes after buying my car. If ever there was a time for a warning it would be to the guy who just bought his dream car. I was only 14 over on the highway! Anyway, love your car and enjoy Fchat!

24. life@8500

life@8500 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Milford,CT
    Full Name:
    C Ryan Ramotar
    1.5 yrs later my heart still races in anticipation of a drive.

25. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    I thought that was the reason that "one" had a mistress, they never get headaches like the wife!!!!!! Thanks for the laugh!