what should i do.. | FerrariChat

what should i do..

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by gonnagetone, Apr 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gonnagetone

gonnagetone Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    dc metro area.
    Full Name:
    venky
    okay I am trying to figure out what car to get next.

my past cars and the ages i had them

17 bmw 318
    20 bmw 328 (totalled :()
    21 bmw 323
    23 bmw 540
    25 honda accord 4 cyl :( (needed to get real and buy a house)
    so I am thinking for my 30 th bday i deserve a nice f car.. :)

i am the kind of guys who likes to drive my car to the limit.

Do you think I will end up crashing an f355? I live for backroads.. I dont mind buying a stepping stone of a car and then moving to an f355?

What do you guys suggest?

2. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well, you sound like you might need a bumper car first.

E46 M3-->996tt-->360/430 would be a nice progression. That's what I plan to do; right now I'm on a highly modded E36 M3 that is about as fast as an E46 and weighs less. I still plan of going with an E46 M by the end of summer though, then Pcar, then Fcar. You cover all the bases of driving dynamics and learn all the aspects of driving everything.

3. Nicksta

Nicksta Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    DC Ranch & NY, NY
    Full Name:
    Nick Ingle
    My $.02

I turn 30 in 5 months, so I had to hurry my ass up and buy an F355. Don't regret doing so.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, seeing as you bought the same damned car for 7 years, I would suggest buying something that's not a BMW sedan.

Call me nuts, call me wild, call me daft. Just quit calling your BMW dealer.

5. cavallino33

cavallino33 Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    haha

I supose alot of "which car to get" depends on price range, how much you want to spend on maintenance etc.

6. ErikV10

ErikV10 Formula 3

Oct 30, 2006
    Don't think about crashing before you even get the car. I was watching "The Secret" documentary and they're saying never to dwell on the negative stuff because you're more likely to get what you think about; your thoughts determine your destiny. (Law of Attraction)

F355 is a good car. If you think you're ready to step up another level, then all I can say is go for it.

7. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    If you want a Ferrari try a 328GTS or 355.

8. Brew

Brew Rookie

May 14, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Are you sure you're ready for a full-on sports car? How much do you depend on trunk space? Passengers? Ever driven a DE? Can you afford the maintenance on a Ferrari that gets driven to the limit? (I hate asking that question, but it's the sole reason I'm not in the market for one.)

Also, going from 4/5 passenger sedans to a 2 seater may be a little shock to the system on your daily routine. If you buy an Fcar, I imagine it's going to be hard to live with anything else. I don't know your finances, but if you can't afford a Fcar AND a daily driver, you may want to try a less expensive sports car, just to see if it's for you. That way, you can always step up to Ferrari.

Just my $.02

9. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You also have to ask yourself if you like working on cars, or just driving them. If you're just a driver type, buy another BMW or equivalent with warrany.

10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Definately depends on budget but I would say a Z06 or Viper as both are fairly easy to maintain.

F Car maintenance bills are eye openers.

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    If you like to "drive to the limit," pick something with a low limit. A slow car at 7/10 is more fun on the streets than a fast car at 2/10.

Best advice: find your local Ferrari club and hang out with them. Learn about the cars, get some rides as a passenger (don't expect to drive). You'll figure out what you like, and you'll get a good feel for what owning these things really entail. It's not anything like BMW ownership.

12. JohnLClark

JohnLClark Karting

May 15, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I don't want to be a killjoy, but it sounds to me that you don't have much confidence in your driving. If you really want a 355, why not spend a little on a driving school, or an open track day when you get the car. I've done the Bondurant school and I'm not ashamed to say it helped my driving skills.

13. gonnagetone

gonnagetone Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    dc metro area.
    Full Name:
    venky
    finance wise.. i was going to spend 60-70 ( I will have a daily driver)
    55-60 for the car.. and 10k to fix it up all nice so i can drive it for a 2-3 years.

The real car i want is a 1995 355 GTB red tan challenge tubi 6 speed.. (I actually have dreams about it!)

Driving wise.. I can drive decent.. but I dont want to end up like eddi griffin
    I think I will do the following.:

Hang out with the local f chatters more and get rides in the cars.. to get more accustomed to it.
    Take a class on how to drive these cars good.
    buy the damn thing!!!

14. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Careful on the Viper. They are a body shop's worst nightmare.

15. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As usual, I agree with you. I'd be extremely hesitant to recommend a Viper to anyone who has even the slightest question about driving abilities (especially one who claims: "i am the kind of guys who likes to drive my car to the limit.") That combination is a recipe for disaster (and hospital bills).

16. ZINGARA 250GTL

Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Attendant with my comment. Some little time ago I was having lunch with my perfectionist body man (who took three years to repaint my Lusso) and he had a Viper in the shop. He had to replace the battery box (located in the rear). It was $900.00. In another sad Viper story, he had one that really didn't look that bad-total loss. Internal damage. He has since decided never to work on one again.

17. ZINGARA 250GTL

Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    What really scares me, John, is this fellow's moniker.

18. gonnagetone

gonnagetone Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    dc metro area.
    Full Name:
    venky
    k def go to school before really letting it rip.. :) got it...!!

19. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    While you learn how to let it rip, please be sure to learn where to let it rip.

20. life_is_a_playground

Sep 28, 2006
    instead of upgrading to a e46, why not buy a maserati cambiocorsca? i've seen many in the 45-55k range.

21. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yes----I have had both and both are great cars....

22. ZINGARA 250GTL

Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Now, there is a novel idea.