Audi TT/BMW M Coupe/Porsche Boxster/Honda S2000? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Audi TT/BMW M Coupe/Porsche Boxster/Honda S2000?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by JamesR, Mar 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    not having driven any of them i like the honda and the bmw.

so i would want to drive them and then decide.

although i have heard of problems with the bmw m motor and i might back off to the smaller engine in the coupe.

whenever i have looked for bmw coupes for sale i have come up empty on used coupes.

tom w

2. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    first make sure the audi tt has had its dash moded,the temp gauges go though the roof-new dash cluster£700+,also the plastic water pump impellers drop off causing no coolant flow,bm's are ok occasinal timing chain prob,boxsters are as you know like there RMS seals and the discs can corrode,the s2000 the same as the type r are the most hard work engines ive ever driven,its like runing a marathon to get the engine to do anything-utter rubish.

3. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    My vote is boxster.

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i agree but the possible maintenece costs will be higher than the s2000 but no higher than the other 2 cars...the s2000 engine is very buzzy and doesnt sound very good and it annoying loud for any kind of long trip...the boxster has a nice sound track, much nicer interior and great mid engine handling....and most woman actually like my old boxster i used to have more than my 355spider, 360 spider and carrera s cab...go figure!!!

5. waltk88

waltk88 Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Walt K
    S2000 is a great track car. It has less understeer than pretty much any other production car, and on the track its low rpm lethargy isn't as big an issue.

If you like to tweak your car, a few choice mods makes the S2000 a real giant killer. Supercharger kits are pretty affordable (<$6,000) and hike power to the 350hp level.

6. CR-X

CR-X Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    IMO out of all the cars listed the S2000 makes the most sense. Maintanence wise its the best, the F20C regardless of what anyone says is a great engine, hands down the best tranmission, added advantage of being a convertible. As far as interior goes, the S2000s is more cockpit like and exciting. Soundwise I dont know how anyone could say the S2K sounds poor, it has a great soundtrack, this is what a set of ITBs and an exhaust does.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkAFTYoyK2U
    Only cons are its lack of low end grunt and its not as comfortable as the others listed. A blower/final drive swap will remedy this.
    My advice would be to find a low mileage 1st gen S2K thats been babied, do some suspension/tire work, and if you can afford to a blower from comptech or ITBs/4.77 final drive

7. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca

I agree as well.........whoever calls a S2000 "utter-rubish" doesn't know jack about what makes a great sports car.

8. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

With choices like that is the reason why iam into kitcars :D

If you look around you could find a C5 Corvette for under 20k, ive seen some that go for 16k is what id recomed, Targa roof,. Thats a realsportscar.

9. waltk88

waltk88 Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Walt K
    S2000 was Classic & Sports Car magazine's #1 pick in its top 10 future classics, beating out the likes of the Cayman, Gallardo, M3 CSL. It's in the 25th anniversary issue that's on sale now.

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    if you find a good condition c5 for under 20k, that would be great deal for a great sports- grand touring car....350hp on a 3200lbs car and its in a different league performance wise than the other cars mentioned here..........

11. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    the vette is in a different league quality wise is it not?

and i suspect the insurance costs on a vette would be alot higher too.

tom w

12. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    #37 Jason B, Apr 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I love that red interior.

14. Bavarian Motorist

Bavarian Motorist Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2007
    Westchester/NYC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I currently own a 987 Boxster and would gladly pick it over an S2000 (seeing as I did)

However, depending on which early model 986 Boxster you get, it may not be better than the S2K.

The 97-99 models were just 201hp. 00-02 saw an increase to 217 and 03-04 were 225hp.

Assuming you are going for an 00-02, you might want to stick w/ the S2K.

It's a raw sports car. It's much faster and more refined.

If you can, spring for a Boxster S. They are around 252hp and in 03-04 went up to 258.

The TT is not a sports car, period.

15. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    worked on all kinds of sports cars for 28yrs,yes you'r right i know nothing:D

16. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca

Well since you have "worked" on them I guess that makes you a qualified mechanic not an expert in vehicle dynamics.

I hate to argue with you but if you think a S2000 is rubbish as far as sports cars go then you either haven't spent enough time in one or you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

I have "owned" over 25 sports cars in the last 5 years and the S2000 is in my top three.

Its built like a tank (no cowl shake whatsoever), doesn't break, handles better than 99% of the current sports cars available( no understeer with very progressive oversteer), has a 9000 rpm redline, LSD, 50-50 weight distribution, mid-engine, rifle-bolt tranny and cost's less than 30K.

How do come up with calling such a pure, well built raw sports car rubbish?? Because you have to spin the motor like a "marathon" as you call it?

You don't make any sense, if you don't like highrevving powerplants then thats fine, but don't call one of the purest's sports cars ever built rubbish it only makes you look ignorant.

Buddy spinning a sports cars motor is what its all about, if you want a torque monster try a ride in my E55 it has all the torque in the world but that doesn't make it a sports car!

By the way, hows the rain mate?

17. Goose

Goose Karting

Nov 10, 2004
    Kent, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Michael
    nit picking, but i believe u meant to say Front-midship.
    The sk2 is front engined but placed as far back as possible.

18. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I've always found it interesting that people buy "manly" cars as though they somehow impart "manliness" on the buyer when psychologically it is more likely likely the buyer is tipping his hand in the purchase of such a car.

Would not a person confident in his "manliness" not need this purchased affirmation of his virility?

Conversely, would not the man confident in his "manhood", not needing reinforcement, feel free to buy art, go to the ballet and buy a Boxster?

19. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    No I meant "mid-engine". Whether the engine is place behind the front axle line or ahead of the rear axle line it is considered "mid-engine".

WTF is "front-midship" are you talking about a boat or a car?

FYI the new 599 is considered a front mid-engined car.

20. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    Even though the 599 has a good portion of its motor in front of the axle line.

21. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I got tired of putting my sports car dreams off till I could afford an F-car so I picked up a nice clean S2000. I love it.

22. revsto9k

revsto9k Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2006
    Clifton, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anuj
    get the s2000 :) ..won't regret it.

23. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    I've only driven a couple TT's.....But I can only imagine every other car is more sporting. If you want a sports coupe capable of going 300 miles in a day, it might have them all beat. If you are claustrophobic, don't get a TT.

24. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I would recommend the S2000. They are a blast to drive, inexpensive to maintain (oil changes, etc.), reliable, and did I mention a blast to drive?

I've had my S2000 over 7 years (yep - one of the first ones) and the older ones do rev to 9k rpm, have a plastic back window, have no clock, and have a lousy radio. But the engine and handling are amazing. Over the years they modified the engine (2.4l, 8500 rpm), improved the radio somewhat, added a clock to the radio, and modified the handling a little. Early cars were a little prone to snap oversteer - which I think they have improved upon - and now I believe they even have staibility control.

I use my S2K as my daily driver - running from home to BART and back every day. I also enjoy top-down runs through the hills near my home.

While I've had the S2K for 7 years, I also owned a 360 Modena for 2 years and I just took delivery last week of an F430. The Ferraris are amazing cars - but i still really enjoy the snick-snick shifter and the light and airy feel of the S2K for daily usage. The S2K was good training wheels for my Ferraris and that's why I've kept it!