MS150... anyone? | FerrariChat

MS150... anyone?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Schatten, Oct 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Recently getting into mountain biking, now I gotta hit the long rides on the endless roads. I'm going to sign up for the MS150 and start training. No bike yet, but that isn't stopping me for signing up.

There's a field in there to sign up as a team. Would anyone be interested in signing up as a FChat team? (of course, I have yet to inquire with Rob about this...yet) C'mon Will... and others, I know you wanna do it.

Signup cost: $50
    Minimum dollars to raise: $400
    Date: April 21st and 22nd, 2007
    More info here: http://www.ms150.org/ms150/

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I've always wanted to do it but never found the time. Not the easiest ride to perform on a mountain bike but that never stopped most folks, the most amount of miles I completed in one day was about 50, I haven't made the century mark yet. Randy, get a set of road slicks & I think you will be ok.

Good Luck

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I'm not gonna do a mountain bike on this thing. I'll end up getting a 3-400 used bike and fix it up in good time.

So... wanna do it Will?

4. Scuderia-San-Antonio

Feb 27, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Where is this one? I thought the MS150 was in October, is it defferent next year?

I'm in, and I bet I could muster up a few others.

Ditch that mountain bike and get you a Colnago!

Let me know.

5. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I was planning on building a Santa Cruz Roadster earlier this year but they are no longer available, plus I’m saving my green for something else. Currently I’m back on weight training 4 to 5 times a week so that means no more beer for a while. In the meantime I have my Heckler to ride.

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Wes, I'm not planning on ditching the mountain bike. I enjoy it too much. I'll find a road bike in the sub-500 range that will suit me fine. I'm going to sign up to push myself to do it, but wondering if there are others out there who wish to form a team - even if we're unmatched in performance. Fchat? Forza Ferrari?

This MS150 is next April - noted above.

Will, it doesn't take a lot of green to do. Not much at all.

7. TX907

TX907 Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2005
    Keller, TX
    Full Name:
    Garrick
    Sounds like it might be good motivation to get back on the bike. I am way out of shape.

Used to road bike a lot. Did quite a few 62 milers and even a 100 miler, but I am slow.

8. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    sounds like this could be fun. good motivation to get back on a bike. I'll keep an eye on this thread!

9. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I know what you are saying but I'm trying to start a small business currently. I'm trying to budget my funds.

Just remember the fit & ride is everything, you can't find that on some of those $400 used eBay specials. What's great for you is Austin is the Mecca for the Texas cycling culture, I'm sure you can find just about any deal down there. Better choices than Craigslist, anyway here's a couple of links that may come in handy.

Classifieds section
    www.roadbikereview.com

an excellent source for all bicycles, history, parts, sizes, etc..
    www.sheldonbrown.com

I'd like to head down to the Hill Country again & get back into it. If you can, check out Bluff Creek Ranch in Warda. That place is a lot of fun.

BTW, what bike did you get?

10. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Will,
    I ended up with a Canondale F600. It works very well for me, and what a blast it is. I'll eventually get a road bike. Somewhere between a month from now and the beginning of the year. I'm not looking for bling, but something to work with and upgrade if needed, for the MS150.

Regarding the 150 itself... I'd like to get together a team of... how about - over 30 guys who need this as a goal to get back in shape? *laughs* Or.. just "Team Ferrari Chat"? Eh... who knows, maybe we could talk FofSA into a small sponsorship so we could use the Ferrari name. Anyone have further details on what is possible? or what avenues should be taken for this? Afterall it is for MS and for fun.

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Okay, I'm signed up.

Who else is in? As of right now, they are 88% full. I expect the registration to close up prior to Turkey Day, so if you want a seat, sign up now. It is only 50 bucks, then you raise 400 bucks and ride from Houston to Austin.

This is quite a personal feat for me, I don't have the greatest back in the world, and running has too much of an impact... so biking it is. But this is a great cause.

If you have a few bucks, drop a few dollars here: http://ms150.org/edon.cfm?id=190389

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    General registration... closed.

13. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I rode Samsom Park yesterday & had my arse kicked trying to climb those hills. A friend of mine that ride this trail a lot wanted me to check out the blue trails, he didn't tell me those were the hills. Regards, it's helping me get into shape.

14. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I'm all signed up, picked up my packet the other evening and I'm ready to go. I'll be sporting nothing fancy, only a 1986 steel Schwinn Prologue. The bike is comfy and very reliable. My number is 2020.

This is for a great cause and is to help those with MS and those who help out those with MS. If you wish to help out, drop a buck or two in the bucket and support me.

http://ms150.org/ms150/donate/donate.cfm?id=190389

With all that said, who else will be doing the MS150 in just over a week?

15. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Good luck it's just to hilly for me to do on my trike. Flat is great downhill is great, but hills are not fun with very little torque of a recumbent. If you decide to do more distance, try the ride across Iowa the Ragbrai every I know in the bike world says its the best food of any ride. I am close to being talked in to doing it, with the promise of less killer hills.

Rodney

16. TexasToast

TexasToast Rookie

Mar 26, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Good luck! I was trying to put a team together through my company this year, had all the ducks in a row, and everyone bailed on me at the last minute. Have fun, I will probably be out there next year.

Are you riding through Bastrop State Park, or taking the easy way?

Just kidding, there is no easy way to ride a bike from Houston to Austin in two days.

Have fun!

aaron

17. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #17 WJHMH, May 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A little off topic but I bought this Trek 1220 Easton this morning for a song, the deal was too good to pass up. I've haven't been on a road bike in 12 years so this will be an interesting transition from riding MTB's for so many years.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login