New RUF CTR3 | FerrariChat

New RUF CTR3

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Adrift, Apr 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    #1 Adrift, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    3.8l Twin Turbo, 700hp, 630ft/lb of Torque, RWD, 6speed Sequential Gearbox, Carbon Ceramic Brakes, in House engineered and designed RUF Chassis

Gotta be ungodly fast
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is this their new "Supercar" or just a tuned porsche?

3. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    Depends, I guess. Do you consider Yellowbird a supercar, or "just" a tuned Porsche?

What you read is all I know at this point.

4. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #4 CMY, Apr 12, 2007
    From M5 Messageboard

Good Lord.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. sicqnus

sicqnus Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2005
    Paris - France
    Full Name:
    Cyril Chartier
    Alois Ruf is a very nice person and all his cars are very seriously made. I'm not a great fan of Porsches but this one is amazing.

6. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    That looks like a poor-mans CGT.

7. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    I seriously doubt there is anything "poor" about this car. lol

8. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    Isn't 450k US dollars around market price as it stands now? Sounds to me like this is just a really rich man's Cayman.

I think it looks very purpose built, though I wouldn't say it's pretty...

Peter Hatch

9. aedmon640

aedmon640 Karting

Jan 17, 2007
    If 300k is considered poor, then ok!

This thing will romp a CGT

I believe the front clip is from a cayman, and the whole mid, rear, cabin and motor are all Ruf's making.

They have another car in the works that is 100% Ruf supposedly.

10. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #10 SefacHotRodder, Apr 12, 2007
  11. scuderiafever

scuderiafever Karting

Apr 10, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael J
  12. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    First impression was WOW, but now that I look at it more I don't like it. It looks to much like a CGT, and I think the back is to long compared to the rest of the car.

13. aedmon640

aedmon640 Karting

Jan 17, 2007
    I believe this will beat both on a track, we'll have to see though. 700hp and 3000lbs is quite a machine, not to mention it looks smaller dimensionally.

Ruf's own car is supposedly even faster.

14. scuderiafever

scuderiafever Karting

Apr 10, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael J
    It does seem a little longer at first sight, but when taking a closer look, it doesnt seem like they enhanced/stretched the body, just added some interesting unique bodywork. They say its based off of the cayman, but the body work seems to me like it was built off of the boxster. Either way I think the car is absolutely stunning and further supports my love for porsche. Cant wait to see how it will perform. 300k might be a tad high I agree. But I dont think it in any way should be compared to the likes of a carrera gt, even if it comes close/outperforms it. Just 2 different cars. Im sure people on this board will agree that a Novitec 360 is not comparable to an Enzo.

15. aedmon640

aedmon640 Karting

Jan 17, 2007
    I disagree. Look at the profile shots, the rear is much longer than a Cayman is.

I believe the front clip is the same as a cayman/carrera and the whole mid, rear and cabin are all Ruf's making. It is not a Cayman chassis. It may look the same, but that is simply because they are pretty much the same dimensions, coupes, MR's, with similar looking headlights, taillights, and doors.

Also in terms of performance, the cayman/ctr3 is a better platform than a 911.

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    The CTR3 is a very special Ruf. I'll share with you what I know from Alois Ruf. The CTR3 is built from the ground up as a Ruf with its own 17 digit international Ruf CTR3 VIN number. It will be certified for the U.S. .It is the most extensive development yet from Ruf. It begins with an unnumbered chassis from the Porsche GT3RS(it will meet all crash standards). It has an aerodynamic "LeMans" coupe low drag roof(about 6" lower than a GT3RS) with Ruf's "IRC"(Integrated Roll Cage). From the "B" piller back it has a modular Ruf spaceframe similar in concept to a Porsche LeMans GT1 with rocker suspension. The mid mounted engine is from the RT12 rated at over 700hp(Alois says each motor dynos at much more). This in a car much lighter than the RT12. I have driven the RT12 on the autobahn and can say this motor is nothing short of sensational! It is hooked up to a brand new Ruf transverse manual sequential gearbox(Alois says his customers prefer a manual sequential over an automatic sequential). It is the strongest supercar gearbox yet created to handle up to 1200Nm. Huge Ruf brakes w/new 19" and 20" centerlocks. The rear is clothed in close fitting aerodynamic bodywork including a high downforce spoiler and diffuser, special heat ventilation slots for the motor and roof mounted intake for cool air. The front fenders are unique allowing the centerline of the wheels to be raised thus lowering the overall body(has more form) and lowering the frontal area while maintaining full suspension travel. It features all Ruf suspension including height adjustable front for driveways and gas stations. The interior features a new Ruf "Lollypop" seat. The body is a mixture of lightweight aluminium, composite and steel. The paint is a special satin/matt silver(not glossy). Believe it or not, the CTR3 is designed to use day in/day out as an everday car with a trunk in front. The CTR3 is what Ruf is about. Its what the original CTR started. It promises to be very fast. You can check out more images at Auto Motor und Sport. Just click the link.

Freeman

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/fotos/foto-shows/news/mpsfshw_show_501250_14093.hbs?ext_index=0&ext_show_id=mpsfshw::show::501250&backtrack=%2Fnews%2Fzubehoer_-_tuning%2Fhxcms_article_503288_14141.hbs&

17. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wow.. thank you, Freeman.

18. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    The last time i talked to Alois this was something he was holding close to the chest... But the "GodZilla" project is still going on. The fully Ruf car has gone down to Bahrain to my understanding where they can test in the middle of no where but camels and money

19. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wow.. again. :D

20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Brian Willis thank you for the background information and illustration. Very interesting concept. Just what you would expect in a 'Ruf' project! He certainly knows his market...
    CH

21. scuderiafever

scuderiafever Karting

Apr 10, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael J
    im going to say wow again.

22. LARuf

LARuf Karting

Jan 13, 2006
    LA
    Engineering wise it is undoubteldy like all Ruf's stuff...awesome. Styling wise, its down right ugly....looks like a Cayman and Audi TT got it on and that's the result. Got to call it like I see it.

23. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yea, i'm really not impressed with the styling at all

Remember, at todays exchange rate its also ~400k! I can think of a lot better cars for the money, a lot better looking cars too

24. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That is impressive. By the way, I like the car more than the Carrera GT, which I like a lot. The looks are subjective or course, but to me it is very appealing; in a powerful and purposeful way.
    This may be a silly question, but have you seen a completed car?

25. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Baller.