$315 million jackpot winner..... broke? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

$315 million jackpot winner..... broke?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SRT Mike, Jan 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  2. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    That's what happens when someone falls into money they didn't earn, it's common. I came into a bit of money when I was 19 years old and pissed it away because I was young and foolish.

I also saw a tv show that gave a homeless man $100k, it was more of an experiment than anything else. They wanted to see if he'd be responsible and clean himself up or just blow the entire amount and be back on the streets in a matter of time... sure enough! The first thing he did was buy himself a truck that cost over $30k. He then bought his friend a car, as well. No pity for that man. They should've given him the money and a financial advisor's business card. He was on a talk show and I was in disbelief. I know these lottery winners are foolish, but to be HOMELESS and be given such an opportunity and crap all over it is sad.

3. #Lennard

#Lennard Formula 3

Aug 26, 2006
    Zeewolde/Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Lennard
    It's real sad to see people go down like that.

4. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    I think the guy is doing alright, he's having a good time and trying to do something productive with the money. Yes everyone sees his goal figure, but in the process he's attempting to build businesses to help the economy and provide for his family.

Pretty hard to go flat broke buying realestate. Worst case scenario is he sells it in a few years. Looks like the $$$ hasn't changed who he is which is the biggest hurdle IMO.

It would be an interesting demographic study to see what 'class, by yearly income' of people buy lottery tickets.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Not me. No one is forcing them to blow their money on stupid things but themselves.

6. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ask any poker player about pot odds or implied odds ...

7. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No surprise though. That person had developed a lifetime of habits weren't going to change just because he had a temporary infusion of cash. You're right though, it is sad to watch.

8. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Not sad or surprising, inevitable. He's homeless for a reason...

9. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Is anyone here old enough to remember a tv show called "The Millionaire"? Strangers were given $1M tax free and then the story unfolded on how it affected their lives. It wasn't reality by any means, but similar things happened to the newly rich. I think the whole premise of the show was "Money can't buy you happiness"!

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Wow!! Crazy story! :):)

11. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    John Beresford Tipton if I recall correctly...