355 Alternator Light issues | FerrariChat

355 Alternator Light issues

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by AZSpider, Apr 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZSpider

AZSpider Karting

Oct 8, 2004
    San Diego CA
    My idiot light with tte battery symbol comes on and goes off every so often. Is this a typical indication of Battery, voltage regulator, or alternator in anyones opinion?

2. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Triple check the battery "water" and connections, especially the integrity of the positive cable where the small sensing wire attaches to the main terminal.

As difficult as it is to get to the 355 battery, it is very neglected. Just some old fashioned and no longer commonplace maintainence will hopefully do the trick.

JM3

3. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Check your battery voltage with the ignition switched off, should be around 12 volts, then check again with engine running at a slightly higher rpm than idle. Voltage should increase to 13 volts or slightly higher. If not, check your alternator output voltage, could be the start of a weak alternator and also check battery fluid with a tester, could be a weak battery and requires changing. If you have a dry battery and the alternator output is ok, it's a bad battery.

4. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had this precise, exact symptom a couple of years back. Turned out to be the "sensor" wire (the one that tells the alternator when to charge and is wired through the dash bulb).

What happened was that the wire had a simple mechanical failiure about 2CM from the socket where it comes out of the back of the alternator. The break was caused by vibration, like if you bend a piece of wire again and again it breaks eventually. The plastic insulation stays intact though, so it can be tricky to find.

Anyhow, the auto electrician fixed it in 10mins flat once he'd found it. Chopped out the bad bit of wire, soldered in a new piece, heatshrink wrap and job done. I stood chatting with him under the car while he fixed it, total cost €50.

Could worth a quick look...

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Good suggestion ;) I look for atleast +14V at high idle :)

6. AZSpider

AZSpider Karting

Oct 8, 2004
    San Diego CA
    All good suggestions, I will start with those. I fear that the new aftermarket headers without heat shield was causing too much heat next to the alternator.

7. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Stupid question I know, but is the belt tight??
    Pay attention to the Amps as well as the voltage. It is possible to have 12-13volts but no amps, hence no charging and a warnig lamp.

8. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Absolutely, I've had this before. Had 12V no prob but couldn't flow any electrons...

9. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Hey AZSpider, in addition to all the excellant advice & suggestions, I would also recommend installing a ground strap from alternator to chassis. This was done by the factory on late 355's (from Assy#32629 onward) and 360's to help alleviate problems believed to be caused by intermittent grounding (or failure of ) between engine & chassis due to dirt & grease, or wires breaking similar to what spaghetti jet described.

10. speedracer999

speedracer999 Rookie

Oct 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brad Hong
    how do you get to the battery in a 355? when i turn my ignition key all the lights comes on and I can hear the pumps running but my starter does not make a sound. My F1 tranny light will sometimes come on and beep for a split second when I change gears and now my alarm light keeps blinking till I arm/disarm alarm. Is this a battery issue? Does the alarm have it's own battery? Thanks for any help.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Search "355 alarm". You will need to replace the rechargeable battery inside the alarm module. Well, that or replace the entire alarm module! Do the search, and you will find all the information on the fix.

Okay saved you some time, here ya go:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132336&highlight=355+alarm

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Check the plug itself. Remove the rubber insulator from the rear of the plug, and check the solder connections at the termnials. Working further up the harness, slit the shething open and check the wiring comming down to the plug. Very common for the wiring to come apart where it bends down towards the alternator. Usually you will need to replace about six inches of wireing (all 3 wires) to the plug and the plug terminals to fix the problem.