Can't fill up 360 with gas | FerrariChat

Can't fill up 360 with gas

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vm3, Apr 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    When filling up my 2003 360, the pump handle keeps stopping every few seconds even though the tank is half empty. I tried varying the position of the handle but it keeps happening. What wrong?

2. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    This might be a silly question but is it at all gas stations or just one particular one?

3. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don

I have this same problem at most gas stations in Texas when filling up my 328. It drives me crazy. I think I read that this is common with older Ferraris but I assumed not a problem with newer models.

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    It's been many months sice I filled the 308 with gas, but IIRC.... I have to not only vary the rate of fill though handle flucuation, but also not have the nosel fully inserted.

There's a magic spot with both flow rate and length of insertion that gets the job done.

5. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    The only station where I can fill my 328 without any problems is Chevron. It makes for an interesting game while traveling. " Who can spot the first Chevron off the freeway? ".

Dan

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    It may have to do with the angle of the nozzle. Air has to leave the tanks as gas goes in. If you block this air {there is a little mechanical part in the handle} the fuel pump will shut off. This happens to me in my cars from time to time if I don't have the handle straight or if I twist the handle while pumping. An older gent in a beautiful Chevy Nova explained that to me as we were tying up the gas pump asking questions about each others cars!

7. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Never had the problem with my '01 360 though I've had it once in a while with different cars, different locations. Annoying. Maybe someone can help.

8. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I had a similar problem with my 996TT shortly after having service done on it. It turned out that during the service they had some how blown a fuse that controlled an anti-syphon valve on the tank. I don't know if the 360 has a similar valve but you may want to look into it.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Good info - and that makes sense, as I've had the problem in my Jeep periodically as well as in the 328. I would be surprised if Ferrari 360 fill necks are much different than any other cars.

I use them just for the Techron in their fuels. But I've had good luck with their pumps not shutting off prematurely as well.

10. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Thanks for all your comments. It happened a couple of times at different pumps but not at another pump today in my neighborhood. I'll keep using that pump as much as possible.

11. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Thats what I was thinking.In my car at a particular gas station it takes forever to put gas in so I think that pump must be sensitive

12. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I had the same problem on my '79 GT4. I seem to have 'cured' it by rotating the gas nozzle 90 degrees to the left (i.e., so the handle is at the 9 o'clock position), but I think that has more to do with the orientation of the fill neck, associated hoses, and tank. YMMV on a 360.

13. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam

Perfusion is absolutely correct...Essentially, if you rotate the handle so that the flow goes directly down the fill tube, it will work. I had this issue on my 328 GTS until I did exactly what Perfusion did (rotate couterclockwise.)

It's easy to see how it all works on my Triumph TR3, which has a central gas tank and filler. Once the level of the tank gets near the nozzle, there's increased pressure on the flow, which in turn, shuts it off. If you are pumping right into a bend in the filler tube, it does the same thing. Since most American fuel fillers bend straight down, that's how the handles are situated for the pumps, but this actually means that on Ferraris, with the handle in the down position, flow is restricted.

Sam

14. jck

jck Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    Santa Monica, CA
    Full Name:
    James Kim
    Uuh, you are talking about cars, right?

15. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    I have experienced the same problem on all of my F-cars ranging from the 348, 355,360 and 575. Must have something to do with pump pressure. Really makes it a pain to fill you having to go so slow!

16. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I had the same problem on my 2003 360 Modena. I just had to fill it up slowly. At some gas stations as the other poster mentioned the handle was to stiff to regulate and it was very difficult.

Sorry I could not help more. FYI my F430 does not have that issue.

Lee

17. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Thanks everyone. This seems to be a common problem with Ferraris. Now I won't waste money trying to fix a problem that can't be fixed!

18. brunetti

brunetti Karting

Nov 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dana Brunetti
    it is extremely annoying and time consuming filling it up. Any tips to solve the problem appreciated.

19. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Since you're in California I assume the pump nozzles have the big black things around them? I've had some success on problem cars by pulling that part up as far as I can by hand and then sticking the exposed nozzle into the filler neck. Might want to carry around some disposable gloves.

20. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Am I crazy or if you pull the nozzle out a little bit (i.e. not insert it fully) this problem should go away.

21. docster

docster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2004
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    David
    I have experienced the same problem with my '03 360 Modena, at a variety of different station locations and brands, in Oregon, Washington, and California. I've tried manipulating both the angle and depth of nozzle insertion without apparent effect. Rarely, the slowest setting on the auto-shutoff will allow almost complete filling of the tank; most often, though, patient "teasing" the fuel in manually is required.

This can be a particularly annoying problem here in Oregon, as state law prohibits self-service. However, it's very rare that the attendant won't look the other way while I do the refueling--in spite of potentially severe penalties written into the law. I've been told by station operators that it's $10K per offense!

After a rash of "short fills" during early ownership, I've become pretty accurate at estimating how much fuel is needed from the fuel gauge. Still a PITA, especially when a station attendant has to be coaxed into manually filling it ever so slowly...

dn

22. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Dude, I've had this very same personal problem, not with the car though :)

A man's got to know his limitations,

HTH,
    chris

23. m3power222

m3power222 Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Camas, WA
    Full Name:
    Wilson
    My 360 had the same problem. Just have to fill slowley on the first notch. I've had some stations even on the slowest/first notch still put in too much pressure and auto stop. Those ones you'll just have to stand there and feather the throttle in:)

I've heard mention of not putting in the nozzle all the way, bad idea. I tried that and when it automatically stops more then likely it will cause gas to overflow onto the paint.

24. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    I have he same filling problem with my 84' 308 and my '70 Lotus 7. Moving the nozzle in or out has no change. The only continous fill is holding the tigger to about half flow.

25. Spinne

Spinne Rookie

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Steven S
    Also I find if you dont give it full flow it works better