Tragic NY Accident | FerrariChat

Tragic NY Accident

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TexasF355F1, Apr 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lifata0428,0,2833163.story?coll=ny-homegarden-headlines
    http://1010wins.com/pages/397470.php?contentType=4&contentId=449400
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=traffic&id=5250089

I'm sure you in New York or BMW board forum members have seen this.

It was a 2007 BMW E92 335. Had to be going at least 130+ I'm thinking. Since it does have a recorder on it, I'm sure it will be determined quite easily. That is, if that ECU wasn't destroyed.

Drive safe everyone.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    stupid ..17yo with 335 hp ?

3. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Money =/= brains

Having it =/= know how to use it

Parental stupidity for giving jr the keys to this :(

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Well BMW rated 300hp to be exact. Dyno tested, stock, average seems to be 275 rwhp.

Yes a lot. There was a kid who posted on e90post who said he went to school with these kids. Said the driver was known to be reckless, such as doing donuts in the parking lot during the day.

Very sad.

5. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Tragic, indeed. Debris field looks more like that of a plane crash.

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Kids are not exempt from natural selection!

That is not meant to be a crude statement - rather a poignant one. Parents need to have some level of responsibility in these situations. Children of 17 years have not developed good judgement at that age. Giving them a 300+ HP car and not keeping tabs on their driving is a recipe for disaster. And these parents paid the price, along with another set of parents.

Very sad. No matter how good your kid is, buying any 17 year old a brand new 300hp BMW is a BAD idea. They simply do not have the judgement ability at that age.

7. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I had a 600hp Corvette at that age. I rebuilt the motor pretty much myself (with some outside help) and lived to tell. That car would break the tires loose at 50 mph (anyone remember Goodyear Eagle GTs?). I'm still here, so I guess it could have been worse. Not all kids are dumb with lots of hp.

Either way---sad.

RMX

8. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I had a modded 'vette too. And I behaved stupidly in it. I got nailed racing a guy in a BMW on the highway - 120+ in a 55mph zone. I spun the car out once on a main road trying to show off by breaking the tires loose to impress a girl I was with.

My parents didnt get me the car - I started working at 11yrs old and saved up enough to buy it by the time I was 17. But in retrospect, I wouldn't have let my kid have that car. Too much potential for harm. Combine peer pressure, kids with fast cars, feelings of invincibility, a lack of understanding of consequences of actions, little regard for the law, no experience handling high HP cars, and it's an accident waiting to happen. If I were getting my kid a BMW, it would be a used 323i or something. No kid "needs" a new BMW. And giving them one IMO just serves to encourage irresponsibility and show-off-ness to friends.

The kids didn't deserve to die. But lots of people die who don't deserve it.

9. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Looks like pieces of paper....

R.I.P

10. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Debris spread over 150 yards!! 450 feet!!!!!!!

11. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
  12. Emil

Emil Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Solihull
    Full Name:
    Emil Ahmed
    i'm 19, at the moment,and driven 400bhp + cars,it all goes down to the driver and how stupid he/she is,theres a time and a place,that obviously was neither

13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #13 PAP 348, Apr 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I've been on that road before, and there is no way unless you were insane to get 100+, and to be weaving is also insane. Then again you see idiots doing it daily, people 100+ in rain on the highway weaving over 4 lanes and then back. Some kids I know have apparently hit 140 in brand new mercedes, thats just stupid.

15. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    HOLY CRAP

Those speeds are crazy.

16. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    "In fact, Dix Hills firefighters spent hours searching the nearby woods for body parts. Mixed in with the fragments of the car, school books and notes."

http://www.myspace.com/litecheese

17. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Wow... RIP.

Truth is though you can do that in any car, it doesn't have to be a new BMW... and with all the drivers ed with gory videos in the world it's tough to prevent this kind of driving... I have to admit I was the same at that age and I am very lucky and grateful that I survived long enough to grow and mature out of it.

18. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
  19. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    You don't need 300hp to get to 130mph.....

Sad story

20. Agni

Agni Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    Chicago
    It was a 328i not a 335i
    230hp

21. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Either way...

22. ski_bum

ski_bum Formula 3

Dec 26, 2002
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Unfortunately I'm sure the parents will sue BMW for building such a fragile, unsafe car.

RIP.

23. Andy1984

Andy1984 Karting

Apr 6, 2007
    you dont need a fast car to drive like an idiot, I knew a guy who had a camry and drove like a reckless idiot. It was bad enough he was a poorly skilled driver but he also had to drive like a maniac doing 100+ on the freeway weaving between cars. It was one of the scariest rides Ive ever had hahaha, he nearly crashed a couple times that day alone. He did finally crash when he was trying to race someone in some civic or something and rear ended a car at a red light lol. He made it out of that accident ok and actually calmed his driving down ALOT. I still know the guy he actually drives ok now, I think because it was high school he was trying way to hard to be cool but learned his lesson. And alot of people were like that in HS, Im sure each of you knew a few yourself. One time me and my cousin were walking to my car in the parking lot, then we hear this crazy screech and see this asian dude (in a camry of all things lol) smash into the back of a mini van. Well point to this being all teenagers are retarded so you cant just say its because this kid had a BMW. All kids his age are the same, well not all but alot are.

24. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    That's why for young men under 25, the insurances rates are outrageous.

25. rammsteinmatt

rammsteinmatt Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Shinavar

likewise here. im 20 and have driven my 450bhp evo for 2 years now (its mine, not my parents, i sign the checks each month). probably been over 105mph only twice, even though flat out it'll get over that in 14 seconds probably.

theres no reason to go fast, plus in LA traffic makes it impossible to really go over 85mph.

what really bothers me, is if im going fast on the freeway, maybe 75mph, there'll be some guy in a civic or some other pos econobeater, who'll blow past me. i could probably match his speed with some reasonable safety due to the performance nature of my car (60-0 in 114 feet), but for him, that civic just has to be drifting around the lane the whole time