F430 - First Impressions | FerrariChat

F430 - First Impressions

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by KnobbySP1, May 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    As you may have seen, I've just got a 2 year old F430 F1 from Lawton Brook in Harrogate. Top service, did everything I asked for and more.

I've had a F355 and then a CS in the past to compare. Now had the chance to give the F430 a good thrashing and formed the following opinions:

The Good:
    1) Engine is stunning with bags of torque in every gear. I can feel the extra power above the CS engine especially in the lower gears.
    2) Car obviously feels heavier than the CS but very well balanced.
    3) Gearbox is very similar to the CS. Very useable on the hoof but a bit clunky when manoeuvring.
    4) Build quality seems to have gone up a notch or two.
    5) Handling is awesome. The steering feels light but very, very precise at the same time - some clever work gone in here.

The Bad:
    1) The standard brakes feel poor. I had no brake fade but really had to lean on them when late braking. Is this all F430s or just mine? I know the CS had stunning brakes but even the AP Racing 6 pots on my Scoob are better
    than the standard F430s. If the brakes are like this I may consider the upgrade to the CS brakes since I've never had any better.
    2) Compared to the Pirellis on the F355 and CS, the Bridgestones feel "snatchy". It's the best way I can explain it. When on the limit in the CS you could balance the car and play around. Even with all the transaction off, the Bridgestone's grip seems a bit lacking by comparison.
    3) The on/off nature of the exhaust is a bit irritating. I know the CS valves opened too but the F430s valves seem to open up lower down the rev range so consequently driving in traffic gives a loud/quiet/loud/quiet effect - a mate said it sounds like somethings broken which kind of highlights the issue. Has anyone modified there exhaust so it's loud all the time? I'd be interested in the results. I've already made an inquiry to Larini but no response...

Overall it's a stunning piece if kit and feels special every time I'm behind the wheel. Just a case of making it my own (modifying) now :D

Ian

2. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Great and honest write up Ian.

Your comments re 430 v's CS are very familiar and accurate. My 430 ran on Pirellis, but even then, i felt the car was very floaty at speed - regardless of tyre pressures

3. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    btw have you noticed that the car sounds better in town if you keep it in "Race" mode rather than "Sport"

4. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    No difference at all. I just wished they'd put an on/off button in the cabin instead but that was probably just too simple ;)

5. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    I'm certain mine is much louder in "Race" it also pops and overruns more than in "Sport"

6. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    Okey Dokey - thanks for the input. I'll keep it in "Race" for a while and report back....

7. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    Could that be the ride height? I've heard a few people have played around with lowering to improve the handling at high speed...

8. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas

When you read that on forums it's normally refering to US spec cars which are delivered with a much higher set-up than Euro spec cars

9. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason

Good to know. I'm so glad you guys are on here.

At least I can refer to someone who knows what they're talking about!

10. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    #10 Trax, May 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Take a look at this car which is on the 430 forum - look at the spare space at the top of the tyres? - you don't get that on Uk cars
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    Flippin 'eck. You know I'd never noticed but that photo really highlights.

Why do they do that - lots of speed bumps over there or something???

12. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It just didnt appear to get downforce like the Strad does..infact i felt the front was lifting up if anything .

13. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    Lump of stone in the front boot perhaps ;)

14. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    The simplest way to make it loud all the time is to disconnect the pipes from the bypass valves, just simply pull them off, no need to undo the securing clip, and tuck them behind the cable ties on the rear grille, but be sure to "plug up" the ends otherwise you'll get an engine warning light illuminate. I understand some people use a couple of self-tappers!

15. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    Had a play over the long weekend.

Tried the alligator clips but made me nervous that they might "pop-off" and the last thing I want rattling around the engine bay is 2 bits of metal. So in the end I took the pipes off, screwed in a couple of self tappers to the ends of them and attached the pipes to the others running along the back bumper. Looks neat. I've got some spare fuel clips (10mm) just in case I need to put them back on...

Now here's the crunch. It's louder at low revs but to me it sounds so much smoother. A steady noise from tick-over up the rev range. It does sound a bit "lumpy" at very low revs but I guess this is where an after-market exhaust would improve things. I'm much happier driving the F430 round town now and it feels to me like it should rolling out of the factory. Added bonus, it gives a slight "crackle" on the over-run now at low revs which makes it sound even meaner :D

I've given it a good thrashing over the weekend and have got more used to the brakes. They are good, just not what I'm used to. No brake fade at all, I just have to brake harder and a bit sooner to allow for them.

So in all, I'm much happier now and know that should I want more I'll need to invest in the CS brakes and a sports exhaust. I'm also going to change the tyres when they are due to Pirellis and see how they feel.

Many thanks for all the input and help guys!!