Laptop Shopping... | FerrariChat

Laptop Shopping...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TheBigEasy, May 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I'm looking for a good new laptop that has all the new stuff and isn't likely to be outdated soon. I'd like a wide screen, long lasting battery, wireless internet, dvd/cd burner, etc etc.... Just a regular brand is fine with me, I am not paying $1000 more just for one that has a Ferrari logo on it.... :eek:

Any suggestions for something nice and reliable?

2. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
  3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Geez, why not? Get a Macbook pro. (you got me during the edit)

4. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I don't know, just stubborn maybe... but I have had PC's my entire life and there really isn't anything on them I don't know how to do. I'm sure I could figure out a Mac just as easily, but what for when a PC does everything I need comfortably already? All I really need a computer for is to keep all my photos/documents/music on, and surf the internet, I don't play video games and I don't do any hardcore programming. Maybe now and then I will watch a DVD if I am traveling and I stopped burning CD's when I got my iPod. I just want something cool looking, reliable, and light... and yes I realize a Macbook does all that... :eek:

5. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    OK... I am really tempted now... I am looking at MacBook Pro's.

6. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I have been having a ton of problems with my new Toshiba. It is only a few months old and I'm about to ship it to Toshiba for them to try and fix it.

I'm not crazy about vista either. If they can't get this one to work I will probably buy an apple.

7. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Question, I see for Mac's they have Office 2004 for all the Microsoft Office programs.... Are they going to release a new version of this anytime soon???? Maybe a version of the new Office 2007 interface? it's $400 and I don't want it to be obsolete as soon as I buy it... :(

In general. How long have Macbook Pro's been out? Are they about to be replaced with new models???

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I just bought an Intel-based MacBook Pro after years of Windows machines. It's really anti-intuitive after doing things the Microsoft way for so long. I've picked up a dummies book to try to figure this out.

On the positive side, it's quiet and the screen is gorgeous. Expensive for what it is, but so be it.

According to the mac site, this thing can run Windows if I really want it to.

9. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I switched to a MacBook Pro last March. I love it. Unfortunately, I've had a number of hardware problems with it, though that doesn't seem to be typical.

I also just bought a Gateway laptop a couple of weeks ago. It's the 15in widescreen one with 2Gb ram, dual core 1.8 (I think), and 160GB hard drive for $900 stock. It's rock solid. It came with Vista. That lasted about 5 minutes before I formatted the drive and put CentOS (Linux) on it. No complaints so far. I just put VMWare on there today, so I'm going to throw XP and possibly OS X (if I can get it running with OSx86) on.

For a personal machine, I'd go MacBook every day of the week. For a development machine, I'd go with a Gateway (I've had a couple now) - they're cheap, sturdy machines. I do like IBMs, but they cost a LOT. Dell Laptops are garbage. I used to recommend Dell because of the price and the support, but every single person in the past 3 years that purchased Dell Laptops on my recommendation has had major problems with it.

Edit for clarity: I use the MacBook at home and the Gateway at work.... for the most part. Sometimes, they reverse roles. :)

10. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Don't get a TOSHIBA. Everytime I get on my laptop, it makes me want to tie it to the back of a car and drag it to its death. Too many problems, if you want something cheaper, and reliable, go with HP or Dell, or what others are saying, Macs, but I have no experience with Macs.

11. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    Funny you couldnt pay me to buy a Dell. Afterall the dell is sold with spy ware already installed. I have had my Toshiba for 18 trouble free months. Its great. JJ

12. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I am really starting to lean more and more towards a Macbook Pro... which is very weird to me because I was always the guy that refused to ever want anything to do with "those apple things"....

This will be for home/personal only, and I will have a PC for work, so what I need it for it's looking to be more and more a perfect fit.... Geze they are expensive though, $2800 for the laptop, $400 for the Office software, $300 for an Apple TV which looks cool, a wireless mouse and keyboard and the cart adds up fast! :(

13. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I was that same guy. :)

Think about a regular MacBook instead of the Pro. Graphics isn't as good, smaller screen, slightly slower processor, smaller hard drive. BUT... most of that most people won't notice anyway... and it's a lot cheaper. :)

14. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona

Get one, you won't be sorry. Mac or death.

15. heckler40

heckler40 Karting

Apr 18, 2006
    IL
    Full Name:
    Tony
  16. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    I don't know why people think Macs are so much better. I have significant experience with both as a tech at my University. Statistically, compared to the number of dells we have on campus, we see the same number of Macs with problems. But, when they do have problems its a lot harder to get repaired. As far as Toshiba's go, I'd say we see a proportionately larger number of them.

What you have me confused about is the specs you want the laptop to have in relation to what you say you want to do with the laptop.For instance, your want of a long-lasting battery, but you also want a light-weight machine. These two generally don't go hand-in hand.

As far as Office 2004. The interface for the Mac version of Office is entirely different and entirely frustrating to learn once you are used to the windows version. I haven't heard anything about releasing the newer version of Office for the Mac, but I would suspect that a new version will be released at some point, maybe next year.

As far as a machine for your needs, anything under $1,000 nowadays should be more than sufficient for your private uses. No reason to spend $2,000 on something just because it's a Mac.

One thing I do recommend, is that no matter what laptop you buy, make absolutely sure to buy a minimum of 3 years of the best warranty offered. It will be well worth the purchase price. Laptops today are not built to last.

17. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    My ten year old gateway still works and it has been dropped and has spent a lot of time in really hot car trunks.

My 3-4 month old toshiba won't even turn on most of the time and it takes a whack to the side for the display to work, and the fan doesn't work half the time.

I'm starting to think about one of those toughbooks like the state police have.

18. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i am going to have to get a laptop for work soon that can do CatiaV5 rendering. i am pretty much sold on an IBM Thinkpad, maybe a T60 something or similar.

i wont be able to use Vista at all as V5 will not work with it. i guess it depends on what sort of work ya have to do with it.

i still have a lot of learning to do......

19. DeusGear

DeusGear Karting

Aug 1, 2006
    NY
    #19 DeusGear, May 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I went with HP with DV6000t
    Core2Duo 2mb cache 1.83 ghz
    2 gigs ram
    7400 go
    Beautiful piano like finish on the outside
    Quick keys letting you enable/disable sound on the fly or load a dvd without turning on windows.
    Ability to disable touched pad with a single press of a key while typing or gaming with an external mouse.
    $1000
    (you can go with the DV9000t if you want a better video card).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Yeah Mac has that serious pull. I used to say "i will never ever ever own a Mac or apple product". But then I bought an Ipod and my friend showed me his Macbook Pro. I want one now...

21. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I have a macbook, got the first ones they got at the store over a year ago, (ahh it doesnt seem like it could be that long). Installed microsoft office for mac, everything runs perfectly. So much easier then windows, files are easy to move around very user friendly for those who are "addaptable"

No viruses, its been lightning quick, such a great machine... The only complaint would be the aluminum shell, it can dent very easily, found this out by a falling cd case, fell from probably 4 feet above the machine and hit the right speaker. Speaker works fine, just a small dent but made the side poke out about a half a millimeter nothing too bad. Only way to get it fixed is replace the entire body shell for 600 bucks, so ugh pass on that.

If I were you though, rumours right now are that a new operating system, right now we are on tiger I think, will be released in october or november called leopard. should be sick... definatly get a mac, best machine out there, it can do work but is so good for photos music web design its all integrated for easy transfers and is just awesome

22. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Amazing computer, I have one as well and I love it. The fingerprint finish is pretty badass, way better than what mac offers. I'd completely recommend HP. Just think about it this way, the mac has based its entire marking scheme on the fact that they are trying to sell to stupid people "everything's easier on a mac".

23. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I have to say, I've had my share of hardware problems with my MacBook (as I said earlier). Simple hardware issues where you have to take the laptop apart are not any harder to fix than a regular laptop. I've had the case open a dozen or so times. When I had to have both fans replaced and was unsure whether the logic board needed to get swapped too, I sent it in to Apple. It was BY FAR the easiest/best experience I've ever had with support. I called at 4:00pm, they sent me a box to ship it out to them by 9am the following morning, and the laptop was back in my hands 3 days later.

Thats my experience with the hardware. I'm guessing you see software problems?

I can't speak to that because I've never had a single software problem on my Macbook, so I wouldn't know how difficult it is to repair...

24. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad

they have real service plans, unlike apple. hardware problems on the mac laptops are unfortunately NOT uncommon, and they require you shipping your computer out for repairs. not an option if it's a critical piece of equipment for your work/life (as it is for mine).

doody.

25. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?ref=performics&product_code=344794&pfp=EXTERNAL

You are in luck! This is the deal of deals on laptops right now. I bought one and it runs great. You might want to upgrade the ram at some point though. It shows as $799 after rebates but if you go to the store and pick it up they'll give you a $25 gift card and $50 instant off making it $725.

Good luck!

Processor Brand: Intel
    Processor Class: Core Duo Processor
    Processor Number: T2250
    Processor Speed: 1.73 GHz
    Front Side Bus: 533 MHz
    Mobile Technology: Centrino
    L2 Cache Size: 2 MB
    Memory Type: DDR2-SDRAM
    Installed Memory: 1 GB
    Memory Slots Total: 2
    Memory Slots Available: 0
    Hard Drive Capacity: 120 GB
    Drive Controllers: SATA-150
    Rotational Speed: 5400 RPM
    Optical Drives: LightScribe Double Layer DVD SuperMulti Drive:

* Create a DVD Writable at a maximum 8X Write speed
    * Other speed specifications are not available from the manufacturer

Additional Drives: LightScribe DL DVD SuperMulti
    Sound Support: Digital Audio (16-bit)
    Video Chipset Brand: NVIDIA
    Video Chipset: GeForce Go 7600
    Installed Video Memory: 256 MB
    Resolution: 1440 x 900
    Screen Size: 17.0 in
    Screen Type: Active Matrix LCD (TFT)
    Physical Aspect Ratio: 16:10 (Widescreen)
    Port Connectors:

* 4 x Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
    * 1 x Audio - Headphone-out with S/PDIF Digital Audio
    * 1 x Audio - Microphone-in
    * 1 x Video - VGA (15-pin)
    * 1 x Video - TV-Out (S-Video)
    * 1 x RJ-11 Modem
    * 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet LAN
    * 1 x Notebook Expansion Port 3
    * 1 x IEEE-1394 FireWire (4-pin)
    * 1 x Consumer IR (Remote Receiver)
    * 1 x HDMI

Card Slots: 1 x Memory Stick
    1 x Memory Stick PRO
    1 x Secure Digital(SD)/MMC
    1 x xD-Picture Card
    1 x ExpressCard/34
    1 x ExpressCard/54
    Network Support: Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbps)
    Wireless Protocol: 802.11a
    802.11b
    802.11g
    Modem Speed: 56 Kbps
    Input Devices: Keyboard
    Remote Control
    Touchpad
    Security Features: Kensington Security Slot
    Number of Batteries: 1
    Installed Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    Included Software: Security and Support:

* Symantec™ Norton Internet Security 2007 (including complimentary 60 days Live Update)
    * HP Total Care Help & Support Center
    * Wireless Home Network
    * PC Recovery (Softthinks Restore Solution)

Productivity and Finance:

* Microsoft® Works

Multimedia:

* Sonic Digital Media Plus
    * Adobe Acrobat Reader
    * HP Quick Play
    * Muvee™ AutoProducer DVD Edition with Burning
    * HP PhotoSmart Premier

In the Box:

* HP Pavilion dv9207us Notebook
    * HP ExpressCard Analog TV Tuner/PVR with Remote Control
    * Mobile Stereo Earbud Headphones (1 pair)
    * HP Mobile Remote Control
    * 90W AC Adapter
    * 8-cell Lithium-Ion battery

Height: 1.6 in
    Width: 11.7 in
    Depth: 15.2 in
    Weight: 7.7 lbs
    Limited Warranty: 1 Year (12 Months)