F430 - First Impressions | FerrariChat

F430 - First Impressions

Discussion in '360/430' started by KnobbySP1, May 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    Just got a 2 year old F430 F1. I've had an F355 and then a CS in the past to compare. Now had the chance to give the F430 a good thrashing and formed the following opinions:

The Good:
    1) Engine is stunning with bags of torque in every gear. I can feel the extra power above the CS engine especially in the lower gears.
    2) Car obviously feels heavier than the CS but very well balanced.
    3) Gearbox is very similar to the CS. Very useable on the hoof but a bit clunky when manoeuvring.
    4) Build quality seems to have gone up a notch or two.
    5) Handling is awesome. The steering feels light but very, very precise at the same time - some clever work gone in here.

The Bad:
    1) The standard brakes feel poor. I had no brake fade but really had to lean on them when late braking. Is this all F430s or just mine? I know the CS had stunning brakes but even the AP Racing 6 pots on my Scoob are better
    than the standard F430s. If the brakes are like this I may consider the upgrade to the CS brakes since I've never had any better.
    2) Compared to the Pirellis on the F355 and CS, the Bridgestones feel "snatchy". It's the best way I can explain it. When on the limit in the CS you could balance the car and play around. Even with all the transaction off, the Bridgestone's grip seems a bit lacking by comparison.
    3) The on/off nature of the exhaust is a bit irritating. I know the CS valves opened too but the F430s valves seem to open up lower down the rev range so consequently driving in traffic gives a loud/quiet/loud/quiet effect - a mate said it sounds like somethings broken which kind of highlights the issue. Has anyone modified there exhaust so it's loud all the time? I'd be interested in the results. I've already made an inquiry to Larini but no response...

Overall it's a stunning piece if kit and feels special every time I'm behind the wheel. Just a case of making it my own (modifying) now :D

Ian

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    There's something wrong. I'd check the pads and fluid, maybe change both, at least bleed the system. Standard brakes are excellent, especially in street use.

Gary

3. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    It's had a service and 101 Ferrari check...

The brakes are fine for "street use".

When I say they feel poor I mean late braking from 120 mph+ into a deep wide corner. I know where I brake in the Scoob and where I used to brake in the CS but I have to stand on the brakes and a bit earlier in the F430.

Has anyone tried the standard F430 brakes compared to the CS or the F430 brake upgrade? I'd value their opinions too...

4. 720EC

720EC Karting

Dec 24, 2004
    New York & OC
    Full Name:
    Scuderia
    get the capristos stage 3 for the 43o, there is a open/close switch for the exhaust valves that u can attach to ur key or integrate into ur center dash.
    hope this helps.

5. 720EC

720EC Karting

Dec 24, 2004
    New York & OC
    Full Name:
    Scuderia
    the carbon ceramics on 43o are just as good as the cc on the cs. I've had the reg steel brakes on 360 spyder and 575 and never had problems with them.

6. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    The steel brakes on your F430 ofcourse feel different after you being used to the CC CS brakes. The CC brakes grip a lot quicker than the standard steel brakes and resist fade due to overheating on the track, that's why you might feel they are soft braking at 120mph. And if you are using your F430 with steel brakes on the track and your brakes become hot you will definitely feel some softness when braking, but that is normal.
    You can ofcourse upgrade them to OE CC brakes. Brembo also make a CC kit for the F430 with larger diameter disks which costs much less than the OE CC brakes.

7. Wakebrding247

Wakebrding247 Karting

Apr 27, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    If you want a quick fix to the exhaust flaps, just disconnect the vac likes going to the valves, they will remain open at all times.

8. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    Now you're talking.

Any specific details on how to do this?

9. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    Thanks for all the input guys - much appreciated!

10. Wakebrding247

Wakebrding247 Karting

Apr 27, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    #10 Wakebrding247, May 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    look in the engine bay, you can see the valves, from the tops on the exhaust tips, (they look like wastegate actuators on turbo cars) you can see them in the pic below, there will be a black vacuum line on each side leading to the valve. In order to remove the line you will need to cut the one time use clamp. Then pull the vac line off.

Now i dont know if you need to cap the vac lines, or anything, but removiing the vac source should keep the valves open at all times, see if you can pick up a new set of one time use clamps and the crimping tool incase u dont like how it turns out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. klh6686

klh6686 Rookie

Aug 1, 2006
    I would follow these instructions for adjustability, however you can disconnect the valves completely to leave them wide open if that's the sound you're after

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122281

12. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    Superb - I'm offer to buy some lock collars at the weekend.

Many thanks for the post!!!

I'll report back when I've done them :D

13. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I was comparing my braking compared to a CS at Infineon, almost exactly your scenario, 120 to 40 or so, and I had no problem braking with the CS for the entire 30-min session. Stock fluid and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Gary

14. jir591

jir591 Karting

Aug 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    I just use alligator clips on the valve arms. You can adjust them up or down the arm for how soon you want the valve to open. Also, easy to take off if you want to go back to standard setup.

15. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    Now that's the easy bit of latteral thinking I like!!

Think I'll rattle the toolbox at the weekend and see if I can find any :D

16. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Wow i am impressed. You are talking way over my driving head. I like the sound of my F430 in traffic. i find it easy to modulate and crack it open for sound when I want to and be quiet when it is desired.

The brakes feel good to me but I must admit I do not do the 120 mph to 40 very often. Okay only once.

I enjoyed youe impressions of the car.

Enjoy it im good health.

Lee

17. KnobbySP1

KnobbySP1 Karting

Mar 12, 2004
    Leeds, England
    Full Name:
    Ian Thomason
    Had a play over the long weekend (in England).

Tried the alligator clips but made me nervous that they might "pop-off" and the last thing I want rattling around the engine bay is 2 bits of metal. So in the end I took the pipes off, screwed in a couple of self tappers to the ends of them and attached the pipes to the others running along the back bumper. Looks neat. I've got some spare fuel clips (10mm) just in case I need to put them back on...

Now here's the crunch. It's louder at low revs but to me it sounds so much smoother. A steady noise from tick-over up the rev range. It does sound a bit "lumpy" at very low revs but I guess this is where an after-market exhaust would improve things. I'm much happier driving the F430 round town now and it feels to me like it should rolling out of the factory. Added bonus, it gives a slight "crackle" on the over-run now at low revs which makes it sound even meaner :D

I've given it a good thrashing over the weekend and have got more used to the brakes. They are good, just not what I'm used to. No brake fade at all, I just have to brake harder and a bit sooner to allow for them.

So in all, I'm much happier now and know that should I want more I'll need to invest in the CS brakes and a sports exhaust. I'm also going to change the tyres when they are due to Pirellis and see how they feel.

Many thanks for all the input and help guys!!