Laptop Shopping... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Laptop Shopping...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TheBigEasy, May 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Brand loyalty has some pull, but I give. Where can you find a new HP dv9207us for $700? Unless I'm looking in the wrong spot, hp.com does not have it any longer. And the cheapest I found on froogle is $850 from CompUSA.

We use HP/Compaq workstations in the office and HP/Compaq rack-mount servers in our datacenters so I would buy an HP. But I've had an excellent history w/ Dell at home so far.

///Michael

2. 4za

4za Formula 3

Feb 18, 2005
    Edmonds, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    +1!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had an IBM laptop for the last two years. Solid as a rock.

3. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Here is a good link to find more about the $725 price.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=79765&t=504485&page=1

also

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?ref=performics&product_code=344794&pfp=EXTERNAL

4. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    After $400 mail-in rebate and in-store pickup gift card? I have a 50% success rate w/ MIR's and my luck w/ that particular rebate (since it's a hefty $400) will lean towards the failure rate. :D

Good deal though, esp. for a 17" screen.

///Michael

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I just bought a couple of Lenovo Thinkpads. Great machine

6. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you want i can get you a student discount on a Dell (can't remember how much it is, i'll look if you're genuinely interested) and i read online about how Amex is doing some deal with Lenovos that can be conbined with other coupons that can be found online. PM me if you're interested and i'll find the links

7. jordanair45

jordanair45 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    Hopefully I got here in time. I am a windows user. Wait until July to purchase, since most companies will be releasing new notebooks.

Check out Sony Vaio and Lenovo notebooks. You will NOT be disappointed. I have a Sony Vaio and love it, new ones are releasing in June-July. I HATE Apple's. I was using my buddies today, I absolutely HATED it. Buy one to last, get a Lenovo. Best bang your the buck, new think pads out in July (with blu-ray if necessary.) IMO the best computer you can buy.

8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I wouldn't buy a laptop right now until all the Santa Rosa's are out.

9. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    I bought mine around the end of March and had the $350 rebate in the bank by end of April. It was all online...no "mailing" required. HP is already sending out my $50 check so it worked great for me!

10. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Get the MacBook Pro... thats what I have as I said above or I ment to say, its soo nice, more then a year running and it is going just as strong as the day I bought it, best computer I have ever owned, seemless interface with all the apps

11. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Get the MacBook Pro... thats what I have as I said above or I ment to say, its soo nice, more then a year running and it is going just as strong as the day I bought it, best computer I have ever owned, seemless interface with all the apps

12. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    see i posted twice to show you how good it was :D

13. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Just as a note --

New Macbook Pro's are out based on Intel's new Santa Rosa chipset. The speeds are a bit faster and the prices are a bit nicer as well. 2GB ram is default in the config.

I strongly suggest you find a college kid to help you out. You can get 500$ off.

- 200$ off the Macbook Pro immediately
    - 200$ rebate off an iPod (free ipod)
    - 100$ rebate off a printer (free printer)

Even if you don't need the iPod or printer -- give them to the college kid that'll help you out scoring the educational discount :)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-5009/WebObjects/EducationIndividual.woa/6624004/wa/PSLID?mco=EA737D7A&nclm=BackToSchool2007&wosid=HO33yH2L40cx2ZJjejBYLwoCEv9

I hope that link works, if not, just google for "Macbook Pro Educational Discount" or something. It's the "Back 2 School" promo.

Edit: Macbook's also got updated as well with the new Santa Rosa chipset. However the discount on them is 400$ and not 500$. They only get 100$ off immdiately.

14. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Just saw this thread was bumped. Sorry guys I chickened out on a MacBook Pro and I just got a nice cheap Dell, for the little I use it for it's fine.