Did Michael's old '84 512BBi just SELL for $175K ? | FerrariChat

Did Michael's old '84 512BBi just SELL for $175K ?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by GaryReed, May 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
  2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The New owner had contacted me a few times b4 he bought it,He lives in Boston, and is in the process of moving to Tampa, Fla...
    Think the car is being shipped south.
    Dont know yet what it changed hands at, but should be public knowledge soon!.

New owner should chime in soon!

3. 90koenigTR

90koenigTR Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    I. P. Freely
    That has to be the freshest interior I have ever seen! But I am partial to the BB's with the Red on top/Black on bottom paint scheme.

4. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    That is one sweet looking car, but thats a very high price too.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I sure hope this sale reflects the beginning of a trend as when I decide to sale my old Fiat BB512i I would love to get that kind of money...

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Looks like it could be a 99 point car or something close. I wouldn't be surprised if a collector paid that kind of a premium for The Best One.

7. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi All,

I'm in contract to be the the new keeper of Michael's (then Woody's) BB. I've been looking for one for the last 2 years (earnestly for the last 6 monts), and I have found that Boxers just don't age well, and many have incorrect components/paint/interior or are just in need of lots of TLC. I decided I was really looking for a Platinum car - Michael's is a multi-Platinum BB - and I realized I was going to be paying a premium for it. It's also comforting from a buyer's perspective that the most anal-retentive Ferraristi (concours judges) have given a car the once-over many times before dropping 6 figures on it.

I have a contract deal with Steve Barney, who is brokering for Woody - at a discount from the $175K - and I am going to see and drive the car in a week before the sale is finalized. There are a few little issues we need to work out still...

I think that these cars are appreciating (look at the Amelia sale of the 365). Like NCRS Corvettes, good credentials are costly but make the car have incredible intrinsic value. I feel I have made a fair deal on Michael's car.

That's not to say Michael's car is going to be a "boy in a bubble." I plan on enjoying the car, but I am going to keep it on the show circuit in Florida.

I'll keep everyone updated after the sale is made next weekend.

Forza,
    David

8. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 msdesignltd, May 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

David, I've seen this car, beautiful. You done good.

I am looking froward to seeing it Florida. If you need a safe place to keep while it graces the Sunshine state, let me know. Maybe we can finally have that Boxer gathering Cavallino time.

10. DinoScuderia

DinoScuderia Karting

Apr 15, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dean

Congrats David. Red on Red with the tan interior looks absolutely stunning.

The big question IMHO is are you planning to drive her or just show her?

11. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Congrats if this happens for you.

I think people need to realize that you can buy a 100k boxer, but if you want one that runs you need to drop 40k to redo bushings, shocks, ball joints, engine and on and on and on....

I think its no different than finding a 25k 308.... you will most likely spend another 20 - 30 to make it a driver. Case in Point Newmans 308 (where else will yo ufind a 308 like his when completed?)...when they hit this low mark they are usually dead cars....then need to be restored (Mechanically). These cars are getting old. A Daytona can be bought for 200, but i bet its a dead one as well.

In the end you get what you pay for....and 150-175 for a running almost new boxer (or 99 point boxer) is the right price.

Good job, and enjoy her in good health !

12. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Congrats David I think you'll find over time if you keep this car long it has a long way to go, in the late 80s after Enzo passed nice BBs were having asking prices of $500k that was in 80s dollars, I have a feeling this car will have quite a few owners in the next 15 years riding the wave with it.

That said if you have never driven a Boxer you are in for a real treat

13. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Congrats. And you may be pleased to know that your car is the model on Wikipedia for the 512BBi.

14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    David,

Congratulations and welcome to the Boxer Club!!!

You've definitely bought one of the best examples of the breed in the world.

It's well sorted out, a multi platinum winner and it is "drivable"! Which is very important, if you want to really enjoy it, rather than just look at it.

Gary

15. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I am thrilled at the overwhelming positive response to this car, and I am very excited to see this BB in person next weekend. I'll def be posting plenty of pics after the deal is done.

Ron - we'll have Boxers together at Cavallino time for sure. I am certainly planning on driving the car - a couple 100 miles/year, most likely - but I'm considering having her on the lawn at the Breakers as well...

Forza,
    David

16. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    David,
    Congrats on a fine acquisition.:)

17. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis

I am glad I moved to Florida so I can see this car in person.

This is a really smart decision. The premium you paid for the provenance and pristine condition is like buying the finest painting. It weird to see people pay 175K for a Bentley/Voltswagen when you can pay the same $$ and get one of the most amazing cars ever made.

18. FSC-Mike

FSC-Mike Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Newport Beach, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mike Grieco
    A few years ago I flew to Mr. Barney's store to inspect (PPI) a C4 for a customer/friend. The trip was a waste of my time. ...IN A GOOD WAY. The car was described to me prior to the trip as a nice original car. Next time Steve has a nice car,i'm supposed to PPI, I will just stay home and wire the money. First time a car was far better than I was expecting.
    Mike Grieco
    Newport Beach,Ca.

19. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    David,
    Congratulations and welcome to the group! The car is really stunning!

Best of luck with it!

20. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
  21. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    david, congrats and welcome to the BB club...they truly drive like no other...enjoy her!!

22. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ME!
    this particular BBi was mine from 03 to 06....It was Rob isringhausens b4 me and Ferrari of Atlanta's b4 him. I got it with 1700 miles, I sold it to Woody Byrd , he consigned it to sport auto, and Dave is thinking of pickin it up soon!

23. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

This is so true. Two days ago, my 348ts was in the final stages of its major service at Sport Auto (waaaay more than cam belts), and they asked me to come take a shakedown drive and look at the car. What a total waste of my time! They should have just phoned me up and said, "Daniel, your car is now mechanically perfect. Come get it." Basically, they had made my old rat-trap of a 348 into a mechanical gem, and it drove like I've never felt before. It was an absolute slice of heaven.

Next time it needs service (although I doubt Steve Barney will ever let me back in the door... hahahaha!), I'll just collect the car and drive home, confident in the work, price, and attention to detail. A+

24. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I think the car sold for $157,500. This car is worth it!