Lost my race car yesterday in a big incident...just need to vent. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lost my race car yesterday in a big incident...just need to vent.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jjstecher, May 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    #26 jjstecher, May 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I did have the headers wrapped and was under the same impression that you were in that if the headers were wrapped it would cut down the probability of a fire from fluids. Well didn't work. :( My theory is that they were still 600+ degrees at the surface which I think was still hot enough to ignite the already hot oil.

I have been requested to post the pics directly in the thread so here they are. Getting ready for the first run, last pic of the car alive (my guess is at this point the oil cooler had already popped), and then the ashes left.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    #27 jjstecher, May 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lastly here is the failed part. You can see that the top of the oil cooler just blew off. If you look at the part closely you can see that there is no metal bent or damaged where the fitting came off. Basically the theory is that it was never brazed on at the Setrab factory. Thus a little quality control issue costs me a poop load of money now and it was impossible to find until the unit was heat cycled multiple times.

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

I'd think that the oil would soak through the fibre-cloth header wrap fairly quickly, then light up.

4. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    That's what I would think, too, as hot and as thin as it (oil) is at racing temps.

This was a fluke, you count your blessings, learn from it, and go on.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Notice how the bottom of the cooler has two nuts to grab? Sometimes during install bad mechanics use just one wrench to tighten them and then they assist in promoting failure by cracking this area. It most definately can be a factory defect and sometimes mechanics don't help either.

6. RobS

RobS Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob S.
    oh no ! get back the 348 man