Audio Install Recommendation? | FerrariChat

Audio Install Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by jakermc, Feb 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I took delivery of my '98 355 GTS yesterday and want to replace the stock system. 2 questions:

1) Who do you recommend in the Dallas/Plano areas to do the job? I'll also hardwire my Valentine at the same time.

2) What do you recommend for an upgrade? I want the new system to be very unobtrusive and look as stock as possible. No flashy lights or anything that calls attention to itself. The biggest problem with the factory system seems to be the amp. Is there a powerful enough head unit out there or will a seperate amp be needed? I'd rather avoid putting an amp in the trunk, but I could live with a small one up there. I don't need audiophile quality sound, just undistorted volume so I can hear the system with the top off and driving 100 mph on the tollway (hypothetically speaking of course). :)

I have not taken any pics yet, but here are some shots from the dealer's website:

http://www.lnsmotorcars.com/car_details/98355gts.cfm

Thanks for any ideas.

Rob

2. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    I am afraid to tell you that Tifosi are not the sort of people that you can have audiophile conversations with. Nor am I. But I would suggest from the other sites that I track, that you talk to the guys at Crutchfiield or visit one of the branches of Car Toys depending on where you live. Based on what the Rice boys do, you can have anything you want and any variation.

Congrats OTW on your purchase, but this is a car that in my experience sounds much better than anything that can be produced by the audio equipment. Unless of course...well that's another story

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Talk to user "Brian Stradale" as he has a great V1 installation in his 360.

4. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I can't remember the name of the place in arlington, but it is about 2 miles north of I20 on cooper, just on the left. They installed the hard wire for my valentine from my lancruiser to my M3 to my 99 355 spider and everytime they did it flawlessly. They installed all of the audio in my landcruiser, uncluding building custom door speaker inclosures that look stock and sound incredible. We looked at my 355 and they can put a sub under the hood, under the air vent in there. totally hidden from any site at all. can't wait to have it done. they have done many national champion cars there. i trust no one else with my cars now. good luck. e-mail me and i will remember the name.

5. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

JR's Audio over by Texas Stadium in Irving does alot of athletes cars and they run ads in the dupont registry.

6. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Jakermc -

Just asked the same question a few days ago about my 355 Spider.

Most of the feedback was pointing toward Alpine or Kenwood - which seems to be the most common upgrades for the 355's.

I have decided to go Clarion (I think the 745 model) - I think I am going to do an amp in the luggage compartment - and upgraded door speakers... Actually not that bad from a cost stand point - under 1K. Since I only listen to the Radio on longer drives - since I like just to hear her purr most of the time.

Hope that helps a little... Go to Crutchfield.com - you are looking for a 1 din unit - which is the common size... That will give you a good sample of what kind of systems, colors, etc are out there. The clarion is just Black not real fancy looking - but great sound in the middle cost zone.

Hope that helps,
    Rich Wallace