F-14 Tomcat vs F-15 Eagle | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F-14 Tomcat vs F-15 Eagle

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Pantera, Sep 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ulmis

Ulmis Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2005

Yup , but some Flankers had russian pilots.

And BTW it is not crystal clear HOW those kills have been made : BVR or dog-fight.

2. Ulmis

Ulmis Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2005

The 11th prototype of the SU-35 , got TVC and that`s why they changed the name .

You could see the no 711 on Yevgeny Frolov`s mighty machine.

3. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    the F-35.

4. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Who care's somebody got owned.

Its just like the F-15 Eagle when they where confronted by Mig 29's nobody knows if they where dogfighting or they where just shoot down.

5. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    The Vic Viper.....

6. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    Well, the F-14 is no longer is service. I think that says something about the argument.

7. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    The 22ed of this month is gonna be retired the American Tomcats will be retired.

Iran still has tomcats and I heard from a reliable sorce that they plan on using them so techinally they aren't.

One was once a great hero will possibly return as an enemy.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  9. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    That, and they're not fit enough.

10. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    The F-15 is one of the best air superiority fighters ever made. I'd pick an F-15 over an F-14 any day of the week for dogfighting.

11. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
  12. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    It says nothing about the argument. The reason why the F-14 is being retired from Navy service is primarily the man-hours of maintenance required per flight hour, which was several times the man-hours for either the Hornet or SuperHornet. When the Tomcats were originally designed, it was intended to be upgraded from the PW TF-30 P-12 or P-14 engines that were designed for the F-111 programme to a newer engine that would be designed for the F-14's airframe. Hence, you really had to fly the engines rather than the wing due to all types of aerodynamic effects that would cause intake disruption for the TF-30s and was the primary cause in around a quarter of the operational losses of the Tomcat while in the Fleet. The TF-30s put the F-14 at a disadvantage when engaged in ACM with F-15s, but once the Navy upgraded the ariframes to become the F-14A-Plus with the GE F-101 engines and later to F-14Ds with the GE F-110 engines and the same AWG-71 radar that was being installed in upgraded F-15s, either the A-Plus or D variants with a good aircrew can beat a comparably manned F-15. Lots of people think the F-15 got more kills in Desert Storm because it is a better fighter; it's not. The Iraqi Air Force were instructed to turn and run if they were ever painted by the F-14's radar so the F-14 never got a chance to engage enemy fighters.

13. F14Dude

F14Dude Rookie

Apr 27, 2007
    The F-14 has a combat record of 164-1. That's more then the Eagle. The F-14 would whip the Eagle's behind in a slow dogfight. At highter speeds the F-14 would still win because of Top Gun training. There both have AMRAAM and the AIM-9. But the F-14's AIM-54C (ECCM) would destroy the F-15 in BVR.

14. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

That is all the Iraqis did. - Turn and run, and or land their airplanes in Ehran.

15. hi-revr

hi-revr Rookie

May 2, 2007
    St Louis, MO
    This is like the old argument which Charlie's Angel(in their prime) do you like?

I'm a Jacklyn Smith Man but If Farrah knocked on the door wearing only a pair of high heels and feelin frisky, I'd be inclined to let her in.

As a side note;

F-15's are still built here in St Louis at the rate of about two a month. So are the F-18's. There's nothing like seeing one on a test, roll out with full afterburner and as soon as he's wheels up goes verticle until he hits 10,000 ft. Until he pulls out of the verticle climb the roar is incredible. If that doesn't raise the hair on your neck go find a forum on musicals.

16. johntvette

johntvette Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Hurst, Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    When you throw out the biased, Navy and Air Force opinions.....The F15 is the better fighter.

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    And the F14 a better interceptor.

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah, well, the Space Shuttle is faster. Deal with it. ;)

19. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    You kidding me?

The Eagle is a far superior fighter to the F-14

Its got over 100 kills to ZERO losses making probably greatest aircraft ever. Where as the Tomcat has suffered a Loss against an Su-27
    (I think)

20. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Of course because it can reach its distination quicker than the Eagle which is land based.

Overall nothing is better than the Eagle, Not the Raptor nor the LightiningII not even the Tomcat.

21. afterburner81

afterburner81 Rookie

Oct 10, 2006
    Full Name:
    Glenn
    Hey, thread's probably old, but since aviation makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, i just wanted to put my 2c in without going into specifics because only the "people in the know" really know what these 2 jets are capable of. Plus, this subject of F-* vs. F-* is like beating a dead horse over and over (trust me, i frequent a forum that is dedicated to this x vs. x stuff). So on that note, I'll attempt to explain my opinion with common knowledge that's accessible to any butthead such as myself.

First, I'd choose the F-15C over the -14 anyday in a dogfight.

F-15C was designed for air superiority from the getgo.

-14 was designed as an interceptor/fleet defense fighter when the Cold War was still going on and the threat of Russian bombers was on Uncle Sam's mind. The Tomcat lost some of this ability when the Phoenix missile was retired well before the Tomcat was. Even then, it never really carried a full Phoenix load if any at all. Main weapons were AIM-9 and AIM-7.

F-15 was cleared to use AIM-120 while -14 wasn't. AIM-120 is far more effective in BVR than AIM-7.

F-15 is (in general) more maneuverable and I believe has higher thrust-to-weight ratio with the Eagle setting some speed records. In a slow fight, I'm not sure.

More situational awareness in the Tomcat with 2 brains and an extra pair of eyes vs. single-seat F-15C.

Someone mentioned earlier that the Tomcat has a 164-1 kill ratio. Wrong. Tomcats shot down 4 MiGs in the 80s and a helicopter during the Gulf War with one -14 lost to a SAM. Whether Iranian F-14s had any confirmed kills is beyond my knowledge, but I'm sure it doesn't come anywhere close to 100.

The F-15 has the higher kill ratio with 100+ kills to 0 losses, mostly by Israeli pilots and 30+ by American pilots during the Gulf War...so it's proven itself.

As far as combat history, the F-15 is still king of air superiority. The F-22 will destroy it in a fight, but the Raptor has yet to be combat proven.

F-14 is probably more comparable to the F-15E, but I'll take the Mudhen over the Turkey too =)

22. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Both where designed as Interceptors to intercept sovet bombers and fighters. Both are air superiority fighters. The only major diffrence between the two of them is that on is sea based while the other is land based.

The F-15E wouldn't be much of a challenge to the F-14D cause even if the Tomcat has 2brains its still an airsuperiority fighter, the F-15E was designed as a fighter bomber to replace the F-111. Its main mission is to give ground support to A-10's and helicopters.

The Raptor in my opinion is very overated, There's no need for a stealthy plane when the rest of the world is still stuck in the stone age. The F-15 and F-16 are expected to serve until sometime 2040 maybe longer, both are superior to anything the sky.

23. afterburner81

afterburner81 Rookie

Oct 10, 2006
    Full Name:
    Glenn
    The only major difference between the two of them is that one is sea based and one is land based? That's a pretty vague statement. These two jets have way more major differences than the strip that they land on.

Btw, F-14D is the ground attack version of the Tomcat. It was upgraded to carry ground attack munitions including the JDAM. Navy fliers unofficially nicknamed it "Bombcat" for that reason. It's a strike fighter similar to the F-15E. Both have two crews, both are strike fighters...more comparable. And I guarantee the F-15E will pose a challenge to an F-14 as it is not much different to an F-15C aside from the extra crew and added weight from the CFTs which is somewhat compensated by its upgraded engines.

F-15Es main mission is to not give ground support to A-10s and helicopters. F-15Es do conduct CAS for troops though, but its main mission when it went into service was deep strike.

24. F14Dude

F14Dude Rookie

Apr 27, 2007
    The F-14 that was lost was shot down by a MiG-21 when it's TF30 engine suffered a compressor fialure shutting down the engine. So a 60,000 lbs. plane was dogfighting with 20,000lbs. of thrust. The Mig-21 shot it down with it's cannon. If it was a F-14D, the tomcat would NOT have been lost to the MiG.