Coast to Coast record broken in Ferrari 550 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Coast to Coast record broken in Ferrari 550

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Speedracer38, May 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    The last winner of the Cannonball Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash had the record in a V-12 Jaguar XJS coupe. Their record still stands, unless anyone can verify these two gentlemen can somehow support their claim - I doubt it. Brock Yates ended the annual race because US roads were getting too congested and 'unskilled', yet wealthy, entrants wanted to run the race with more horsepower than driving ability. Brock foresaw what happened recently at the Gumball 3000 in Europe - somebody was going to get killed, or worse, kill someone else.

Given current US road congestion, Interstate road surface conditions, increased national police presence, and the 550 Maranello's horrible fuel consumption, I just don't see it. Back in the late 1970s, sure. But now?

2. MedMech

MedMech Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    It's a tough record to beat but am I the only one here that is wondering how a Jag XJS made it across the country with out breaking down?

3. George J.

George J. Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2005
    Bay area, CA
    Full Name:
    George J
    I can't fathom not getting arrested over that many miles. One would think with numbers and stickers on the car cops would be chatting this up all accross the country. I've gotten pulled over and harrassed coming back from the track (with numbers) when I was not breaking any law. I'd love to see a plot of their speed to acheive that average. Pretty stupid, kind of fun, and very lucky in so many ways. I hope this does not fuel someone to go for this record that might not be so lucky.

I covered 400 miles between SF and LA in four hours around 1983 in a bright orange red BMW M1 and covered allot of distance in the 140-150 range. Passenger spent much of the time with binoculars. Twice we spotted CHP aircraft and dropped to fifty-five, and only spotted a few on ramps. Youth was fun, glad I survived it. George

4. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    All the talk of video cameras??? I would assume they proved this record with some type of GPS devise or other technical wizardry...I picture all of it downloaded in the computer. average speed fuel mileage and top speeds including locations of alleged speeding.

5. Dave1442397

Dave1442397 Karting

Feb 11, 2007
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I see the trip now:

NYC to Newark Airport, C-5 Galaxy to LAX, LAX to Redondo Beach.

6. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    didnt the Smothers Brothers do that in a Cornich???

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Thats what I was also thinking!! :p:p

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    That was pretty lame.

9. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    It can be bettered.

As soon as they figure out how to refuel in flight.

10. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is simply amazing. What a car to do it in also.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I disagree completely! I've read Brock's book, and I think there is a fair amount of old fogeyism at work there.

US road congestion? No doubt the biggest issue. But, now we have real-time traffic data, GPS, and I bet you could optimize the route and time to avoid peak interstate traffic. It'd be worth a couple of hundred miles if you missed significant traffic. I bet on the internet you could find a map showing traffic densities in the interstate highway system.

The latest Garmin GPSs will download realtime traffic data from XM.

Interstate road conditions? On the west coast, about the same as they've always been.

Increased police presence? I'd love to see the stats on state troopers per mile of interstate highway system, and per car. I'm certain the number of state troopers per car is less than in the 70s, and I wouldn't be surprised if the number of state troopers per mile of highway is less as well, or at least not significantly greater. And with things like the Valentine, radar in many ways actually makes it easier to find the cops.

550 fuel consumption? The 550 has a large gas tank and pretty reasonable fuel consumption-- far better than the Daytona (which averaged around 14mpg on it's run) and I'd guess significantly better than the XJS. And it's fast, comfortable, and reliable-- about the perfect car for the trip.

I do agree with another poster about the stickers-- I assume they cleaned the car up before they left. I'd also like to see some independent verification-- talk is cheap. But I certainly think it's at least as do-able as it was in the 70s, maybe more so.

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I agree on the 550 being one of those rare cars to compliment this kind of run.

The fuel economy is way different. The 550 is rated at 9/14? The XJS of that era was 14/21. I've owned two of the same engines in sedan form, one quad carb'ed and one fuel injected, the first or second month F.I. was introduced. The XJS can cruise with the BW trans in 3rd/overdrive at 20-21mpg at 75mph without the high efficiency head. The H.E. head is only good for 1mpg city/highway each.

The Maranello would struggle because of it's fuel economy by comparison and because the likelihood of sharper spikes up and down in the speed average.

The reason why the Jaguar was able to make the journey was because it was under warranty. The XJS hadn't been out for more than 5 years at that time making most of the parts fairly sound, even the ignition amplifiers tucked away in the roasting vee and their rotor eating capacity of the points.

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'd like to know what the 550's actual fuel economy was-- I'd have guessed 20-21mpg average, maybe a little less given that to maintain their average speed they were probably running 100-120 most of the time.

My 365 2+2 will do 15mpg on sustained freeway travel at a 75mph average, and it seems like the 456 does better under similar conditions. I would imagine the 456 and 550 would be about the same. But then I've never done a pure highway leg in the 456 to measure against.

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  15. RedBarchetta

RedBarchetta Karting

Nov 3, 2006
    SF, CA.
    #40 RedBarchetta, May 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This record is easily "do-able" in my mind, In a 550, oh yeah.

Its all about selecting certain "sections" of the interstate system at a certain time of the day

80 through Penn. i think is a no brainer. Its a well kept interstate as far as "road condition" goes, i have driven through it 2 times. Smooth good surface but very curvey during certain distances.

I am guessing we would want to avoid Ohio, 71 is VERY heavy with trucking.

So that takes us to the first so called "fork in the road" -Chicago-

A: stay on 80 and travel through Iowa and Nebraska during the morning and afternoon.

B: At Chicago head for St Louis and get to I40 asap via Tulsa/Ok.City for the final strecth run. St Louis to Ok City via 44.

Both have advantages, driving through Iowa and Neb. during that part of the day would be a breeze. But getting south on 40 asap is crucial imho. Even via 80 you probably deal with less traffic, but when you get to Denver you realize you are still pretty far north and now have the Rockies there.

Heck maybe you want to avoid the "major" interstates and use 55 and 44.

My bet is I80 all the way to Denver taking advantage the time shift through Iowa and Nebraska. And avoiding a large city like St Louis and poor roadways plus its a huge meeting spoke for 3-4 other interstates.

At Denver head south via 25 to Albuquerque, hug the eastern slope of the Rockies, hook up with 40 there and they got lucky throughout the night and didnt get thrown in jail.

I have driven all the major "even" interstates (east-west) numerous times. 40 has alot of traffic. 70 is good through Kansas for time but driving 70 through Missouri is so bad it outweighs the good imho. 80 is open, lighter traffiic and of the three the best for quick travel

all n all i can see it happening, i might even guess they video-taped the entire event with mounted cams in the car and 5-6 cameras or alot of tape to record on. I just cant see why someone would want to risk their name and reputation on a lie.

It will be broken again. With engines becoming more efficent and ways to store fuel, it could easliy be done.

Do not attempt this at home :) There is a reason Brock Yates asked Dan Gurney to join him :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    San Francisco to Houston (about 2000 miles) in 22 hours and 17 minutes. I had no traffic - I mean absolutely no traffic in 1988 the whole way. Slightly nodified 1980 BMW 528i manual with one drivers side mirror. I ran about 180 kph all the way through Texas. Solo and I never slept. Radar saved me several times in CA. I could have saved lots of time with a giant fuel cell in the trunk. My 456 would be ideal because of the trunk space (for the fuel cell) and aero shape. I'd be more impressed with a C2C solo record.

17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Still no verification.....

18. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I wouldn't doubt that they have it. They probably don't want proof of this coast to coast law breaking stunt to get them in hot water. I'm sure they'll furnish proof to any of the "Guinness" type outfits that verify this stuff. Maybe they're planning to make a buck off of the thing too so floating proof around would spoil that.

19. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    C2C Solo would be stupid. STUPID!!!

I've been giving it some thought though. When I first posted aerial refuling, I meant it as a joke. But having given it some thought, I think a new record is entirely possible with aerial refueling.

One plane and crew could serve the car the entire way. Put a semi-mongo tank in the thing so you don't have to do it too often. Make it worth the effort though.

I remember seeing early photos, probably after WW I, of refueling between a car and a plane. The only thing is, the gas was being handed up to the plane. This was done to establish new time in flight records. A couple guys flew for days I think.

Anyway, I have some humorous pictures in my mind of some guy trying to stand out of a sunroof , or some such nonsense, trying to grab a hose.

You just wouldn't want an open flame around.

20. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    Dennis and Richard rejoined the Bullrun rally last night in Savannah, Georgia and we had a opportunity to interview them and get this exclusive footage. This video is part 1 of 4 so keep checking up on the Bullrun 2007 blog for the next 3 videos.

http://www.Bullrun2007.com

21. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    665 miles, 46 gallons, 14.46mpg. SLLLURP! But one hell of a way to do it.

22. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks for the link Jason.

23. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali