Google Ads only for Non Subscribers... | FerrariChat

Google Ads only for Non Subscribers...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, May 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, May 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, hear me out before you throw your PC out the window in anger. :D

I think we've found a Win-Win-Win-Win for Non Subscribed Users - Subscribed Users - Sponsors - FerrariChat.com.

We're testing out Google Ads that only appear in the 4th post per page of a thread for Non Subscribed users. The ad won't appear for Subscribed Users or anyone else but Guests and Non Subscribed. We're not taking any header, footer, or side column real-estate. I've attached below how the ads appear for all you Subscribers wondering what the heck we're talking about.

Non Subscribers - The impact is minor for your browsing experience, you still get to participate at FerrariChat.com for free, and many of the ads you will see are Ferrari related.

Subscribers - This has no impact to you at all. FerrariChat.com will look exactly 100% as it always has. Only Non Subscribers see the ads.

Sponsors - Most of your value comes from the privilege to be active in the community. These advertisers are not active in our community and will never will have that right. If you really have a negative "world coming to an end" view that you don't want to sponsor because of these ads, then the other sponsors will be pleased there are less "active" sponsors to compete with. :)

FerrariChat.com - Without further testing appears this will have no negative impact.

Through our testing we'll try different things and of course we can ditch the entire program anytime we want.

If they really bother you that much, then pay the little over $1 a month by subscribing.

Thanks,
    rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    the new site updates look good and I think the ads are a good idea, makes me glad I am subscribed

3. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    I like that there's a little more colour on the site.

But the icons (post reply,quote etc) look like they been grossly enlarged, but I'll get used to it.

4. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    Let them read ads.

Subscription is such a small price to pay for all Rob does for us.

Scottie

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #5 2NA, May 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm not as smart as my girlfriend thinks I am.

How about a little tutorial or at least an information page about using the sites features.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    +1 It's so worth it :D

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Start here...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?

8. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I dont get any Google ads to show up in FireFox, the box is there, just no ads. I do get them in IE though.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    hmm, anyone know if Firefox has an ad blocker?

10. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Ahh...my Rossa subscription is starting to pay off...

11. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I have one installed, but without it FireFox does display the ads.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, no other subscription benefits. :D

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  14. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    LOL ;)

15. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I think it's a great idea. You should generate as much as you can for yourself from this site. I agree if nonsubscribers dislike it that much then join, it's cheap. Maybe you should make nonsubscribers see pictures of really ugly chicks also, it may promote subscriptions, Ha ha.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So lets talk this out a little Colby Sandman from Sacramento that owns a 360,355, Mercedes E55, Lotus V8 TT, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Ford F-350. How did you buy those?

You are a Silver subscribed user, how have these ads negatively impacted you? Even if you weren’t subscribed and had to see the ads, the impact is minor, easily glanced over, and the ads are all content related, so might be half way useful to some.

When can I stop by your biz that you so shamelessly promote in your username, profile, and posts for a free muffler? Ohh I see, you believe everyone should get something for nothing, unless they are YOUR customers.

What a bonehead.

17. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    ??? Rob, you lost me on your last reply :confused:

I don't like the idea. I'm just not a fan of advertising like that. I do like it better than pop-ups and ads that hover in the middle of the screen no matter how you scroll around. Owning my own web server I do understand the costs involved and I understand if alternate methods of income are necessary. I guess it's better than raising the prices for subscriptions, right? Curious as to why when there's already advertising going on in the upper left corner and in the Sponsors link? Or is the goal just to make things a little inconvienent so as to have people subscribe?

Yes, I know I won't see them since I'm a subscriber (and I don't even own a Ferrari!) but just wondering why this is being done.

18. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    Unless he changed his post or something.... I don't think he was saying anything negative about the ads. He was agreeing with you.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Um...I think MufflerMan was being sarcastic...

20. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    This is the only part I can see being sarcasm. I don't know.. if he did create this website then why not? It was bound to happen, Rob has no reason to hold out. It's hard to survive without advertising, I worked at a free surf magazine when I was younger. Free because of advertising.

21. Lip Service

Lip Service Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2005
    Firefox ad block FTW.

22. MurcieMurcie

MurcieMurcie F1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2004
    I like the changes and think they are great, the ads are no big deal imo.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Actually, easier to talk about why don't we do this? It doesn't affect our core user base of Subscribed, Consultants, Moderators, or Honorary users the slightest bit. Of the only people it impacts, however minor, many are passing through looking for answers than sticking around long term contributing. The balance should be the ads impact so little that it doesn't scare them away. Nobody from the FerrariChat.com community is paying for this, this is being paid for by external companies that don't know FerrariChat even exists.

Why not do this? If scaring non-subscribed users that much, then we can scale back the number of ads.

Ohh, no big deal, he was just a LITTLE sarcastic, especially in the context of his post heading frown.

24. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    How many times are they supposed to show up? I see them 3x on this page, before the 4th, 11th, and 21th posts. I thought they came up just once. Great idea by the way.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Unless you changed your default from 20 posts a page, you should only see 2 a page. Of course you will see 2 every page of the thread.

We'll have to tweak here and there to get the right balance. I have the ads turned on myself and I'm surprised how many of the ads I'm interested in. :confused: Of course as the site owner I'm not allowed to click on them.