New 355 header pics these are the prototypes! | FerrariChat

New 355 header pics these are the prototypes!

Discussion in '348/355' started by sirbob, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sirbob

sirbob Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    South Orange County
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #1 sirbob, May 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    I didn't see anything related to headers for a 355 (or Ferrari) on their website. Maybe I didn't look enough but it sure isn't obvious. If you are going to post images as such you should add more information as well.

3. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    those look sweet what are the pricing and horsepower gains

4. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    They look very good, please keep us informed.

5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    +1

6. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    This is the first set.....significant changes have already been designed for the next two sets....dyno testing will begin within about three weeks. The triangle piece is for slip joint(primary tubes to collector) that allows for thermal expansion and any torsional flexing of engine/cradle....this eliminates any mechanical stress to header. You haven't seen anything yet...wait till you seen it with the heat shield on(pics as soon as shielding get back from the fabricator). A full race version(eliminates cats and by-pass secondary exhaust) is being developed for people who track their cars or for those street racers in states that don't check emissions.....and of course real F1 sound. Street version will have aux. air rails......these are removable on both street and race versions.....on race set-up the openings can be plugged or used for insertion of egt probes for monitoring individual cylinder exh. temps.
    Construction material is 304SS.....quality/workmanship...better than NA and TUBI.
    Heat shielding(street version only) can be left off if you want......for street application IMO needs to be heatshielded.......the heat shield(similar material to what TUBI uses)is flow thru not sealed(oem and TUBI) which is a better design for heat dissipation.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Optional heatshields might be worth considering too...like on the oem manifolds and the Tubi "street version" manifolds.

8. sirbob

sirbob Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    South Orange County
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #8 sirbob, May 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I like it, I like iiiiiiit.

10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Those look great!

Some videos of the dyno runs would be great.

11. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
    Deeeliousss....!!!

12. PKF355

PKF355 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    sOCal
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Wow! Looks great. I like it.

13. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    That may happen.....at the present there will be two runs on the chassis dyno....one using stock oem and the other with new headers.....this will be done on the same car for data standardization which will provide a true and accurate comparison between the two set-ups.

14. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Estimated price range?

15. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Still working on final numbers.....I think the price for this high level of quality/performance will be exceptional when compared to TUBI,OEM,STEBRO,NAperformance,Saclam,and MetalCraft.

16. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    THIS IS SOUNDING BETTER AND BETTER EVERYDAY. I CAN'T WAIT.

17. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    They look great! What was involved in the installation with motor in car??

18. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What's the schedule for dyno testing the full race version? Are mufflers being fab'd also? Are ECU remaps being done? I've been waiting for just this type of system. Please keep us posted!
    Thanks,
    Mark

19. MecaChrome

MecaChrome Rookie

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On, Canada
    This slip fit will cause a lean read to the computer when the engine is first started ti'll running temperature and seals up, because the system is sucking access air from the gap of the headers. This will cause excess fuel to be pumped into the cylinder and hence damage the sleeves, and in turn loss of pressure in the cylinders, therefore loss of power!!! And eventually, more damage will follow. I know I had to re-build my 355 engine partly because of this type of design of headers! Sorry! Don't mean to burst your bubble! But I may be wrong!!!!!! And they do look beautifull! They may not look so nice after an engine re-build though! Note that this is just my exprience with slip fit headers, and they may have solved this leakage issue somehow. For the purchaser to ask. And no CPU programming will fix this issue. And so that you don't think I talking out of my hat (old expression to say I'm BSing), my re-build is to full Challenge specifications (engine, heads, cylinder flow and CPU), test pipes, tubi, K&N filters. Now for those who know that Challenge racing specifications are supposed to be stock, well, sorry, most of the guys cheat and the Europe Series as well! There is a diffrence.

20. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    thanks for the HEADS UP ! MECACHROME but hopefully these guys know what there doing and do good testing before they start sell them also they said that these are just prototypes. so with good testing I'm sure they will work it out.

21. MecaChrome

MecaChrome Rookie

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On, Canada
    Slip fit is slip fit, there's no way around it! Just put a smoke machine at the end of the exaust and blow the air in. This one of the only ways that you can detect the leak via these type of headers. Just be carefull! Ferrari designed, although with subpar stainless, the headers a certain way for a reason. And I tend to think they know what they're doing. Don't mind the sarcasm!

22. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I don't think there will be a lean condition on start-up due to the slip fit. The NA's are like this and what do you think the "air pump" is doing during warm-up??? It is pumping 'unmeasured' outside air in to the exhaust. ;)

23. MecaChrome

MecaChrome Rookie

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On, Canada
    Hey! It's not my car! I made the mistake already and paid dearly for it! Take it up with Ferrari! I've said my peace.

24. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Sorry to hear of your problem......and it is just that...YOUR problem. You make no mention of WHO made and designed the headers, nor any construction details.....I just hope the person that built your headers didn't do the engine rebuild. Just because Ferrari designed something doesn't mean a thing....valve guides, belt tensioners, cam seals....on and on, yet third party constructors and fabricators have IMO taken care of issues that wouldn't even be addressed by the manufacturer in light of many many obvious failures due to design/engineering flaws. Oz makes a good point concerning the aux. air system that pumps air into exh. at start up...hmmm, any comments on what this air being introduced does?.....do you understand what a slip joint is for and the clearances/tolerances involed for it to perform properly?....do you understand the ecu mode that I call n-alpha? As for re-inventing the wheel...I'll leave that to you....and what is up with all the comments about your CH engine,heads,ecu,tubi,K&N.etc....what does this have to do with the headers? As for your engine mods go, CH specs are minor compared to the developements made by ND,plugzit,group77 and others with much success over Ferrari's oem design.
    You can run whatever you want and just because your set-up was flawed makes no difference to people who know how to properly engineer/design and adequately test before releasing to the end user.....the fastest CH cars are running not in Europe but Asia and most of them are running slip joint headers.
    For those interested in the new header design I would like to say that the prototype will be tested using two O2 sensors per side(1 before the slip joint and 1 after) this will give accurate data and is the proper way to insure clearances are dead on to get proper sealing at operating temps.....we do not use the "blow smoke up the tail pipe method".
    MecaChrome,FYI the condition that caused your liners to go bad is what engine tuners call "cylinder washing".

25. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have to respectfully disagree with your comments on challenge engines, at least the US cars. I have a '97 factory CH car, the engine is sealed, the engine ECUs and the suspension ECUs are also. In the inspection process before each race this was checked and engine ECUs could be removed and switched with other cars so even if you were able to "adjust" the ecu you might be giving it/them to some other competitors car. There were no special CH ecus for the CH cars they were stock part Nos. As for "Challenge engine racings specs" never heard of that before. other than having no upper cats or bypass valve and no air pump and the '95 2.7 engine management system these engines were the same as the road cars. As someone said earlier the air pump puts quite a bit of outside air into the headers in front of the 02 sensor to cause a very rich mixture but the ecus are programed to adjust for that when the engine is warming to operating temp. It is going to take a very rich mixture to wash the liners enough to cause engine wear. The slip on concept is fairly tight if done properly I have to motorcyles with slip on style headers and exhaust and both of those engines don't leak and do not cause the engines to run rich at cold idle. Regards, Vern