DEER SUCK | FerrariChat

DEER SUCK

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by HAC, Jun 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HAC

HAC Karting

Mar 28, 2006
    Knoxville, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Hugh A. Cornell
    I live in northern Pennsylvania near Wellsboro. Beautiful country, but every time I take a drive, day night morning afternoon, It doesn't matter. It's like driving through a petting zoo. Two weeks ago I was taking my TR south to Lock Haven to get a new radiator installed. I am leaving Wellsboro about 7:30 in the morning. I am not even 100 yards out of town, when a car coming the other way flashes his lights. I slowdown to 20mph thinking a cop ahead. At that moment, out of the corner of my eye, here comes a deer. He jumps off the bank runs across the road into the side of my car. I push in the clutch and pull over as far as I can to lessen the blow, but he just charges into me. As a matter of fact, his head poked through my window for an instant as he went down the whole side of the car before running off. I stop and get out to inspect the damage. Mud, deer hair, scratches all down the side. The usual. So after screaming four letter words for about 5 minutes, I continue on. I tell my insurance adjuster to go to the shop to see it, while it is being fixed. Two weeks go buy and I don't hear a word from my insurance company. The shop called me today and said your Ferrari is done. I asked them how bad the damage was. They told me this is unbelievable but they could find no dents at all. And all of the scratches were only in the clear coat. Their detail shop hand buffed out the scratches, and my bill for that part came to $66.00! That is dumb luck! How many TRs get broadsided by a deer, and the damage comes to $66.00 So I guess as pissed as I have been the last two weeks, The story did have a happy ending.

2. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Wow, I didn't realize deer are so stupid. I would definitely find the dear and eat it if it ran into my car, lol.

3. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    You guys got it all wrong! It was a Ferrari enthusiast. He just wanted a peak. Can you blame it?

:D

4. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    wow that is lucky! our saab was broadsided by a dear at about 50 and aside from being really scary we had a new rear passenger door and rear quarter panal!

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I believe we should have deer season 365...24x7.

Too many deer. Had one run into my now long gone WRX. $460 worth of damage.

Illinois had over 24 thousand accidents involving deer in 2005 (latest data available).

Somebody needs to start a deer burger chain, get rich and reduce the deer population. Really.

6. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Wow, you really lucked out. Glad to hear it turned out well for ya. The Wellsboro area sure is beautiful though, but every time I've been through there I def agree that it's like a petting zoo. Some fantastic driving roads up there though & the STPR Rally is well worth the drive from here in MD.

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #7 285ferrari, Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Deer do suck!! But it is pretty funny when the fender impales them and they get stuck on the car kicking and screaming...One shot to the deers head trying to avoid shooting car in process from flailing deer...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    A total bill of $66 seems pretty lucky. We were participating in a sports car race at Westwood Racewau in British Columbia when the driver of a formula ford hit a deer and the impact killed him, broke his neck. So, these kinds of accidents can be deadly and devastating.
    Ed

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Im sorry about your accident..luckily it sounds minimal.

I dont understand the anger towards an animal though...maybe its people that suck and we should stay out of the animals natural habitat...or at the very least blame ourselves for living in an area filled with them.

10. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Deer are the retards of the animal kingdom. I say we let loose Dick Cheney into the woods to annihilate the population.

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Man, using headlights to spotlight deer ain't supposed to be right ;)

"Call it Bambi's revenge.

Each year, an estimated 1.5 million deer-vehicle collisions kill several hundred people, injure tens of thousands more and cause more than $1 billion in vehicle damage.

The Michigan Deer Crash Coalition estimates that one in seven reported crashes in that state involves a deer -- one every eight minutes."

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/DeerPuttingYouAtRisk.aspx

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Love the tongue-in-cheek on that one LOL

13. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    sounds like some people need to get this:

http://www.deerwhistle.com/

:) / I dont know if it works, and I am not affiliated with the deer whistle companies

14. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They don't work...

If anyone needs effective help reducing deer populations, I'm available this fall. ;)

15. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Driving through DuBois PA in December in the Accord, we hit a deer while doing 80 MPH. The thing went right over the roof, taking out the radiator, AC, and putting a huge dent in the center of the hood. Luckily I was able to drive the one mile to an exit, where a hotel was. Getting the car fixed was an adventure, but we made it.

Deer are not a problem in the Lotus. It goes right underneath them, no problem.

Ken

16. bannedleader

bannedleader Karting
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2007
    ...........call my commute from G.r. to Hickory Corners "Running the deer gauntlet". One morning an eight point stood in front of the `Burb so his harem could cross the road. November is so far away....sigh.....

17. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    My mom lives in Pa. and she hit a deer and I paid for the damage. My employee hit a deer in a Co. truck and totaled it. Deer ate my garden for 16 years till I quit this year. While I was working out 10 minutes ago a deer was eating my shrubs in my back yard. I hate the things. I say kill Bambi. There are just way too many of them.

18. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I'm ambivalent about this- love looking at all the deer in my neighborhood, but they scare the "shirt" out of me when driving. Had a similar experience a few years ago, but not in one of the Ferraris, fortunately- a doe ran right into the side of the BMW and bounced across the windshield, leaving me covered with glass shards (all through my hair, eyebrows and beard), but the car was otherwise unscathed.

19. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm from central Illinois and I have some die hard uncles who love to hunt...

but there are occasional seasons when they get more with their truck than with their gun.

20. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #20 bert308, Jun 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A fox crossed my way very early in the morning 2 weeks ago. Poor fox. I made the damaged spoiler myself from steel and the insurance agreed on the price for a new copy glassfiber gto spoiler and grille and paint, 1770 Euro.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    i think it is far more humane to shoot them instead of hitting them. they tried to use the deer shot for population control to help feed the homeless but ruled it in humane.

22. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I hit a deer with my truck once....driving in my neighborhood, at 2:00 AM. The deer must have been spooked from an apple tree by a neighbor's yard (all are less than 1/4 acre, so there's no real 'land' for these animals to graze or feed in). Luckily, I was traveling about ten miles an hour - I knocked the animal over, and almost dropped a load into my pants. No damage, and the animal just got back up and ran away....it was funny ten minutes later, though.

Deer can literally double in population within two years if habitat conditions are 'right' - they're like the 'rats' of the forest. Good thing they're tasty/healthy to eat.....

23. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    For whom? The deer or the homeless.

24. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Speaking of retards.

25. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In Missouri we have a program called Share the Harvest. Each year I donate at least one deer to this program, where the meat goes to facilities in the area that can use it.