6.0L F430 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

6.0L F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by F11, Jun 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That's right, don't kill the messenger! :) When the car arrives, dig up this thread and let us all know the details. It will be interesting to see what they are doing in order to up the displacement.

Ray

2. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I believe you for reals cannot wait to see the car

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Im with you on this one Ray. :)
    My friend (engine building expert) and I had a lengthy discussion about this 430-6.0L engine. He said that it would be near on impossible to get 6.0L displacement out of that engine, as is. This is basically going from 262ci (4.3L) to 366ci (6.0L). You CAN get more displacement by stroking the engine-replacing the crank, rods, coupled with shorter pistons. The engine crank would HAVE to be replaced (to give a longer stroke) in this engine, in order to gain any/more displacement. As well as longer rods and shorter pistons (shorter pistons are now needed to avoid any valve/head clearance issues) Not as easy as it seems my friends. This is where the fun really starts, as ALOT of calculating/measuring needs to be done in order to make it all happen. :) To get this HUGE jump in displacement, means that it will need a stroker crank, stroker rods and shorter pistons. Thats the easy part and the issue now becomes in the engine block. We believe that the offset of the stroked crank (to get this 6.0L capacity) and the angle of the rods will not be able to work in this engine block. There will basically be 'clearance' issues trying to get that stroke to bring it up to 6.0L in this engine block. We worked out that this engine block could probably be stroked to around a 335ci (5.5L) max! If you 'bore' out these cylinders 1mm, this would take the engine to a 337ci (still 5.5L). No where near being a 6.0L engine from this engine block. They will have to heavily modify/machine the internals of this engine block to avoid the clearance issues to make it all work. Whether or not that is possible is another story, as I havent seen the inside of a Ferrari engine. :) A quick fact about stroker engines- the 'longer' you stroke an engine, the more RPM the engine will lose. But you gain ALOT more torque and more HP also. This kinda makes up for the RPM loss. :) Anyways, it will be very interesting to see how this eventuates my friends and I am looking forward to seeing this 1st 6.0L engine also. :):)

4. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I sent you an e mail and understand it costs 50,000 Euros for the motor, Sounds more like $100,000 by the time it is all done. I have no reason to doubt you, but am confused as to choices. You say you have a shop - how does that fit into the price-process mix? Best

5. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

As I expected.........MEGA DOLLARS!! US$66,475!! :):)
    This will cost around US$316 per/HP. :D:D Huge amount of dollars for a 210HP increase. :) I wonder how much labour costs to fit? :)
    Seriously though, why would anyone really bother with this engine that costs this huge amount of dollars. You could bolt on twin turbos for $20K and get 700HP+. :):)
    Now that I do think about it...........I bet ya no one WILL bother with this engine! :cool::cool:

6. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Well, I'm sure you already know the answer to that. First, nothing rational about Ferrari ownership. And not sure you can compare slapping on a few aftermarket turbo's vs. a special factory built performance motor.

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Of course you cant.........

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Or.............can you? :eek::eek:

9. Jaz

Jaz Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    JAZ
    Sorry, which option is this exactly? so your saying that yellow enzo was different to all the other enzos produced and had 700+ bhp??

please explain/provide more info on this....interesting....

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    First of all,it is physically impossible to bore that engine to 6.0.
    Second,Ferrari does not offer any upgrades of that caliber to anyone.
    The ones they do offer, are relatively minor power hikes.

11. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Since this is supposed to be a factory upgrade, what does his shop have to do with it? And since he is not an authorized dealer, how can he even simply act as a middleman? The secrecy and the illogic of the mod make it seem very suspicious.

12. Moca

Moca Formula 3

Feb 3, 2007
    Hungary, Szombathely
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Very intresting story, and the pictures are also. I've never heard anything about this before.

13. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    Its also interesting that with all the other Client services advertised on the Ferrariworld site there is no mention of it nor have I ever heard any dealers offer it as an option very strange.

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Your friend is correct. When you stroke the engine with a different crank, you increase the torque, but you also encounter other problems. The angle of the rod may hit the bottom inside of the cylinder wall. Additionally, as the stroke increases, the feet per second (FPS) increase on the pistion. This is why motors with shorter strokes rev higher. As you increase the stroke, the FPS increase on the piston due to traveling a further distance per RPM. This results in additional force on the piston, which can crack the ring lands, etc. Using forged pistons helps, but you can only make something travel back and forth so fast until you run into problems. The stoke on the 430 is already up there when you consider the engines redline.

Ray

15. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Another factor, so far overlooked here, with a stroked motor is the issue of the sump. The 430 already uses the sump cover as one piece with the lower bearing covers to get the motor as low in the chasis as possible. A big increase in stroke would need more clearance for the crank throws on the bottom. This would result in having to either extend the sump lower, perhaps too low to be practical or raise the centerline of the crank higher along with the rest of the motor which would necessitate redesign of many components, including the output to the transaxle, clutch, etc. Might as well redesign the entire car!

Dave

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    no, this wouldn't be a factor, since the upgrade is just "boring out the motor" :)

Ray

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

x2! ;);)

18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Where did you hear/read this ? I met the owners a few times and he never mentionned this . Would be interesting to know .

19. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    I know you can't see me, but I'm bowing to your knowledge lol

20. miladferrari

miladferrari Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    prev.Van. nowToronto
    F11 is a bull****er,but it would have been nice if they did such a thing to F430s engine,an F430 with 700 Hp means that it would be faster than anything on the road.

21. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, but I thought we already established that boring out the motor to get an extra 1.7L was not possible. I have pic of a cylinder head and based on my admittedly rough measurements using the 92mm bore as a guide, there is about 13-15mm between the chambers. Without changing the stroke, you need to bore it out to 109mm to achieve 6L. Oops, not enough metal!

Dave

22. drchako

drchako Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Palo Alto, CA
    In knew there had to be another Trekkie on this forum!!

\\// Live long and prosper.

-DrC

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    lol :)

24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, I was just being funny :)

Ray

25. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If you can't put a challenge grill on a 430, how are you going to upgrade without USDOT pre-approval?

I am skeptical...but for it. More hp than an Enzo! Yes....