1994 348 Spider. | FerrariChat

1994 348 Spider.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sfm, Jun 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sfm

sfm Karting

Oct 21, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Anyone know the history of the 1994 348 Spider at Segal Motor Cars? It is black with 17,000 km. There is a similar (same?) car advertised by another dealer on Auto Trader for $89,990.00. Daytona in Woodbridge has a red 1994 348 Spider with 53,000 km listed at $85,000.00. Which is the better car?

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    the car at Segal is my neighbors 348...i know the car for many years...its about as perfect a 348 spider you will find.

3. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    If Segal has it....chances are it's good. Also, as Rick states it's a clean car (references are always good :)). Don't just compare price. That's the first mistake people make. That red car has been for sale for a while I believe.

4. Agent_355

Agent_355 Karting

May 13, 2007
    Richmond Hill, Ont
    I work for SEGAL and can shed some light. The car IS for sale, it is actually Jeff Segals neighbors car (ergo Big Red and Jeff are neighbors somehow too). Anyways it is perfect, had a belt service last year at FoO and has 17,xxx Km. It is not actually here now (Rob took it back home to use). He is a very good customer of ours and we had it here over the winter to help him with storage and I put it up on our website to get the word out. It is owned by him outright so no GST for the buyer, it is a private sale. PM me if anyone is interested and I will do the phone # exchange and you can take it from there.

5. sfm

sfm Karting

Oct 21, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thank you for the information regarding the 348 at Segal. I am the potential buyer. I am still struggling with whether I really want a used Ferrari or a new Corvette Z06. I have read on this forum how the 348's engine is relatively "bullet proof" if properly maintained, and that there have been much fewer problems than a 355. I would love to talk to the owner and get his real world input on living with a Ferrari.

6. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd

I love corvettes (well the older ones)see my profile, I am sure after 3 years you will be glad you bought the Ferrari.

7. sfm

sfm Karting

Oct 21, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sean
    ToddB,

I am curious to hear your reason for saying I would be glad I got the Ferrari?

8. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    If you want a 348 spider...this is the best out there right now, and i would venture probably the best one around. Go see another 3 348s first, then see this one last, you will see the difference.

9. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd

Because the z06 will get old on you quicker then the 348, also moneywise in 3 years, you will be crying if you buy the z06.

10. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj

I've had a '94 348 spider for just over two years now, and it's everything I wanted and a lot more. I should of done it years earlier!

However; it's a relationship, where all the other cars I've had were just cars in comparison. I don't do any work on her myself except washing, and I try to drive her a fair bit, 22k km's so far in the last two years. My maintenance costs are Less than $1/mile driven but can see where a rough car or one with issues could easily be $2k/mile driven.

Parts are expensive, take time to get, and there's a lot less mechanics available to work on them (although TO is miles ahead of Vancouver). And the "non-core" functions aren't always as engineered as a Honda (!). Stuff like the window electrics, the hvac system is 1980's computer technology, some of the trim bits tend to fall off and/or scratch very easily.

I'm waiting for my mechanic to be available to work through a little emergency brake issue. Perfectly drivable, just doesn't sound quite right, so I wait.

Saw a dark blue Z06 parked on the road today - looked good, but there's no way I'd ever go back to an American "sports car". The sensory feedback of the 348 is 2nd to none - and the 355 doesn't compare at all imo. (yes - the 355 is a much better car, but depends what a sports car means to you). If I was to "upgrade" I'd probably go older and more classic, not newer.

348 spiders have depreciated a little bit in the last two years, maybe 10% a year. I can see this continuing with the large # of 355 and 360 spiders showing up.

11. arshad

arshad Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Arshad
    I can also vouch for Segal. If they have a car there, then you KNOW that it's in mint condition with no stories. You pay a premium at Segal, but at least you know what you're paying up front rather than getting stuck with costly issues on a "bargain".

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    This 348 sounds nice, what was the black 348 that Gentry Lane had like; or same 348 car? Also to digress slightly what's the 'story' on the no miles Silver Canadian 996 Porsche GT2 that sat for two years at Segal with no takers? There were a lot of motor failures on those early GT2's...
    CH

13. sfm

sfm Karting

Oct 21, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Without knowing what the asking price is yet for this 348, what is the market price for a 1994 Spider in excellent condition with up to date maintenance and records? $90K?

14. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Is the right price to pay for clean 348 spider. There are a lot of very optimistic prices out there. That's why they've been out there for a couple years now!

15. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    you wont get this perfect 94 348 spider for 90K...if i owned it, i wouldnt let it go either. The car needs nothing.

16. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    No, Gentry's is black on cremma. It's also a nice one. Actually John is a member now on here so maybe he can chime in. If he can find us. I saw him poking around the vintage section :D

17. Agent_355

Agent_355 Karting

May 13, 2007
    Richmond Hill, Ont
    The GT2 came out of a collection and to be quite honest, we were willing to wait for an enthusiast buyer that wanted a "new" GT2. The guy that bought it is local but has a collection of 12+ Porsche Turbos. He spreads the milage out between them so that car will probably not see more than 1-2K a year.
    As far as engine failures I don't know of any. It is a pretty high strung car and some owners respected it less than a Boxster so I'm sure there was some failures. The only 2 I really think were common is the rotors developing cracks on the 1st Gen PCCB, and some having a habit of poping out of first or second gear when coasting (transmission input shaft) that was on all 2002+ 996 models.

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Hi thanks for the details Edward F355! Are there any Turbo S models in the big collection? The very first ever Porsche Turbo 930 which had been used for the Frankfurt introduction was for sale in Australia some time ago. Quite a history to that particular car for any 'Turbo fan'. It was a car that has been 'rescued' on more than one occasion as someone always felt the number ONE Turbo was worth saving!
    There was one English fellow among others whose brand new from the dealer 2002 GT2 motor failed several times and not due to abuse either. The one blow-up was the worst the technicians at the factory had seen; again quoted by the original owner when describing his sad story. To Porsche's credit they kept putting in new bullets...
    CH

19. Pransingh Horse

Pransingh Horse Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't know the car in question and have no affiliation with the owner..but I can tell you from personal experience that engine failure on these cars are not necessarily abuse.

9X6 Porsche models saw a good chunk of motor failures ( 996's & 986/Boxsters ) saw a few engine failures....Primarily the M96 engines .. The Turbo & GT2 engine is not a regular M96 engine but they also saw some failures....some of these were attributed to the slipped sleeve issue ( where the Lokasil cylinder liners slipped in the cylinders, or a Porrus block issue)

Every single case I know of, where it was the original owner's car was covered by Porsche under warranty, and given a 2 year (unlimited mileaage warranty) ON THE ENGINE ONLY - not the whole car. I guess it added some comfort to future buyers who might be concerned about an engine failure.

my .02

20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

On 996 non-turbo motors the sleeve failed. It started out as a small crack and finally a horseshoe shaped piece cracked out. Interestingly it was the number 2 and 5 cylinders that failed...a design - stress issue?

Now back to the Ferrari question; if a buyer can wait 1 or 2 years for the 348 there will be many more 348 choices available from the south. That may have an effect on future prices up here. Someone found a nice legal 348SS down south recently. Many more choices down there; if you don't mind mouse motors. A good car should stand or fall on it's own merits and not the original market it was sold into. The market is slowly catching up with the distorted prices here. It may run out of time though...
    CH

21. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    sent PM

22. Agent_355

Agent_355 Karting

May 13, 2007
    Richmond Hill, Ont
    He used to have a Black on Oxblood Turbo S, don't know if it is still in the stables or not I haven't actually see the collection in a while, he has picked the last few cars up instead of us delivering them.
    Back to the GT2 engines, I by no means meant that a failure could only be caused by abuse. All I was trying to say is the GT2 is a very precise machine in comparison to even a "regular" 996TT and it does require a little more care. For the most part you can just fire up a 996TT and go where a GT2 will feel stiff until everything reaches operating temperature (IMHO).

23. 996

996 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Greater Toronto Area
    Gents...if anyone is looking for a very clean, solid, 348 Spider, Red on tan, I've decided to put mine on the market.

I just picked it up from Tom's garage this morning (the infamous mechanic from this forum) and got a clean bill of health (just got the battery changed and had the oil service done). No leaks, tight, very clean car. I was going to do the major service (due to elapsed time, not because of KMs or anything wrong with it), but have decided to wait until there's a firm buyer, else I'll lose 50 cents on the dollar after I've gotten it done when I sell.

Mine's an Ontario car, originally sold Dec 1, 1993 to someone in Markham, and has stayed in Ontario. I got it April 2004. I own it out-right, so Private sale, so no GST. I've put 7500 KMs on it since I got it...totalling 42K KMs now.

I won't try to convince you guys how "Pristine" it is...all I can say is...if you want a good one, mine's the one...and we can arrange for Tom to check it over AGAIN before you sign on the dotted line...that should say it all.

PM me if you're interested.

hhf

24. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Hi H, good luck with the sale. I remember when you got it. Unfortunaly I never had the pleasure of seeing it in person.

By the way that vehicle we chatted about is sold.

25. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

Sounds like a nice car, i still love the 348...too bad it wasnt red/blk...you would have sold it this weekend if it checked out like you said ;)