Testarossa Turbine Project, Happening NOW! | FerrariChat

Testarossa Turbine Project, Happening NOW!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by APA#1, Jun 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    #1 APA#1, Jun 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As some of you may or not know I have been seaching for a TR to convert to a gas turbine powerplant.

The long wait is now over!

If your a purist you might wish to look away now and read no further..

I am going to be placing an Allison C28B gas turbine engine in my new TR. This engine comes out of a Bell Jet Ranger Long Ranger helicopter.

The engine converts the exhaust gas to drive a secondary turbine wheel which then converts this with a gearbox to a shaft.

The final shaft output is 6000 RPM.

The engine develops 550 HP and 450+ ft lbs of torque.

The turbine can be run on jet-a, diesel, gasoline, bio fuel, etc.

Final color will be black.

As I get further along I will take more pictures and let you know how the project is progressing.

Also I have the complete engine and transmission available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120137649013&rd=1&rd=1
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm waiting for the punch-line.

This is the Marcel Duchamp version of a Testarossa. The Ferrari LHOOQ.

You cant take the heart out of a Ferrari and expect it to be a Ferrari. Frankenstein won't be John Q. Taxpayer just because he had on a suit.

I'm not a shoe salesman, but I don't think a size eleven will fit on Shaq... I mean, is this whole job really that easy? Don't try and break the sound-barrier quite yet there pal, I don't think its a swap sawp, red-wire to red-wire job. There is probably some technical "what the hell is going on" about what your trying to do.

Good luck, but just for us Ferrari guys, pop off the prancing horses and sell em on E-Bay.

Best
    Jon

3. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Well, the chart of reliability only went sideways, the 206L's powerplants still need the 100 hour inspection and the 3500 hour overhaul.

The turbine should make interesting noises going down the road :)

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Bold move.....This should be interesting, and in the spirit of what made Enzo's little shop into what it is.

You may have also just stumbled onto the best counter-point to the gits who whine about replacing the Wankel (rotary) of the RX7 chassis to put in a piston engine "cuz it goes up an' down, instead uv round an' round".
    Where did you find the Allison??

5. glasser1

glasser1 Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2006
    Oregon
    I think for someone who is mecahnically minded and has the tools to fab parts, this kind of thing is not that difficult. Jets are amazingly simple compared to a V-12, or even to a single cylinder lawn mower engine. My next door neighbor put a jet in a boat a couple years ago. Last year he added an afterburner for show. Now he is preparing to put a turbine in a Trans Am. He has four jet engines, all of which came from small drone helicopters that the U.S. Navy used to drop torpedoes during Vietnam war.

Good luck. I saw a vette in CA about 20 years ago that had this done. This thing will sound scary!

6. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    True to all, though just did a hot section inspection. Did the HSI but really didn't need to as it is no longer under any AD's.

Should be pretty fun too. You will know it is coming.

7. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Don't forget - he can cook those hot-dogs on the way TO his next F-chat picnic, too.

8. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I got the turbine from a used aircraft dealer. Pricy things. Currently it is on a test stand I built. I wheel it out of the shop and run it.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That seems like a cool project. Are you replacing the transmission with some sort of CVT as well? It would be hard to see how else to do it.

I've heard the torque characteristics of turbine engines don't work very well in cars, but perhaps with a modern CVT it could be made to work okay.

I'm sure you are familiar with this:

http://www.marineturbine.com/motorsports.asp

Interesting that he needs an 8 gallon tank on a motorcycle! I wonder what the fuel consumption in the TR will be?

10. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    As this is a free turbine it does not need a tranny nor convertor as the N2 acts as a cvt.

Also it develops 2.6 HP per #. This Turbine costs more than a TR too!

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you say so!

That works in aircraft because the RPM of the prop or rotor doesn't hardly change at all. The RPM output in a car needs to vary all over the place, from 1500 when starting off to 6000 when going flat out. In a turboprop airplane, the output RPM only varies from 1500 to 1575 or so.

I assume the Allison is not a fixed shaft, so the air coupling gives you something to work with, but obviously I don't understand it.

I'm no engineer, so I assume you have it figured out.

I wish you luck-- keep posting updates!

12. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I think it's awesome! But on an 86 TR? (That is an 86, right?) Couldn't you use an 88 or 89? I love the single mirror cars.

13. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Now that i have stopped laughing, i'am a little lost, whats the point of this ? would it not be easyer just adding some blowers or boost to get 550 bhp!!!

14. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    I think we all believe you can accomplish this technical challenge, but WHY are you doing it? And where are you going to drive this thing with that exhaust gas shooting out the ass end of your car into the vehicle behind you?

PS: What would Enzo say about this?

EDIT: I see you are in Ft. Lauderdale, maybe i should drive the little Ferrari up and check this out!

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Haha ... yep it will be slower, concrats.

Rover ran a turbine at LeMans many, many years ago and I think it finished but the stories regarding lag issues/throttle response highlight that it simply wrong in a car.

Have a good play ...
    Pete

16. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    You are right that the rpm is a plane does not change, Chrysler had some lag in their turbines cars as well. I will have some in this one too I'm sure.

Someone asked why do it?. I could get more hp out of a turbo motor but it's not the same thing.

Why follow the herd?

As to the exhaust as it exits out the top it wont be a problem, plus it is not much hotter than a car, just a lot more of it.

17. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida

Actually Indy had one , I think for Granetelli, he pretty much smoked the others in performance and endurance, and Indy banned the cars from then on

18. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    You remember the fit he had at Pinninferina when 308's where coming off the line in fiberglass? Yeah..like that.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Indy is hardly a typical road course ... so yeah if the distination for this Ferrari is simply to drive round ovals then go for it.

And yes I was right, regarding Rover and Le Mans: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~lloyd/4/Rover/Gas-Turbines/

Pete

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  21. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida

That is a cool video. Mine also starts like that.

The turbine he is running is probably a c-18 or t700 . possibly a c20, with about 315 hp or so. You can tell by the twin exhaust. Made by Allison

22. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Whoa! The sound on of that Z is crazy!

23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Interesting project but you might want to test the concept before butchering the TR.

Without a transmission or clutch you will have to start the engine with the brakes engaged and shut it down completely before manually pushing the car to back up. Your date will love that.

Throttle lag occurs on acceleration AND deceleration (you will be overcoming full engine torque for a brief time when braking). No panic stops!

Ultimate performance may well be awesome (Bonneville Speed Week?) but I think "around town" will likely suck. The heat and deafening shreik won't endear you everywhere.

I've been envisioning a gas turbine street car for over 20 years.

These are just a few of the issues that I've experienced.

24. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

At least he won't have to change timing belts.......

25. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    Dont drive in California. The cops will want to crush it...