I'm intrested in the history of the desirablity of Ferraris | Page 3 | FerrariChat

I'm intrested in the history of the desirablity of Ferraris

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Todd Helme, Jun 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    Wow this thread has kind of jumped off topic!

But since where talking of Lamborghini's, did the Countach/Miura have anything to do with the rise of the popularity of Ferrari? (By making exclusive marks in general more desirable, breaking sterotypes, ect)

2. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    i would have to say that both Lamborghini and Ferrari owners want attention through their rides. the traditional hot red color seen on most Ferraris is a beacon for attention as well as their sound. you can hear them driving away as if they're a loud racing motorcycle. i think the ego-stroking and spotlight is a foregone conclusion when one joins the fray of exotic car ownership. it's not the only attraction, but a big one.

Ferrari is a symbol of wealth and success and sex and power. in general, there is no sin in this affiliation or buying behavior even if it may attract a segment of rich jerks among the ranks of the larger number of easy-going owners. most members i've seen in my short time here are surprisingly shattering of the "jerk" stereotype. but i've also seen my share of arrogance and piety here as well.

however Lamborghini does not in any manner give me hard-on. and for some reason i see more of those than Ferraris here on the streets of LA. i don't like the direction Lamborghini has taken in their modern designs. what happened to the Miura? or Jalpa? those are awesome and timeless designs lost to these new an hideous overly-designed nubby doorstop-like cars.

nor do i like Lamborghini's appeal to the younger "fast and furious" mentality with all of the garish colors and body shapes. the fact that an owner of such a car could have afforded a Ferrari but went with the Lamborghini instantly gives away where their level of taste lies.

prima donnas or just cool guys, i will go with Ferrari.

3. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner

4. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio

5. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    bonzelite:

But how to identify or describe those people who, 25 years from now, (I use 25 years as an example since in most states that is the definition of an antique auto) will be shopping for one of the current Ferrari models? As I understand it that was the question. Maybe nobody, Ferrari will have gone out of fashion, and collectors will be looking for monster SUV's.
    What a thought!

Cheers
    Warren

6. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    well like me, who grew up in the 70s and 80s, at ages of 7, 8, 9, 10, through my teen years into the mid to late 80s, i look back to the 308s and 328s as the Ferrari that i wanted but couldn't touch.

so after taking the Nestea plunge, as it were, into officially admitting to myself that i actually want to seriously pursue buying one --a Ferrari-- (what? me? driving a "Ferrari?" --err-- hell yes!) i'd say that kids who are 7, 8, 9, 10 -16 who see the 360s, 430s, 550s, 599s, and Enzos today will seek those out when they hit about 35 or 37 (or later depending on when their ship comes in). the circle of life and Ferraris will march on.

actually i'd like a 550 right about now!

7. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Not quite. Kids and teens crazy for Ferrari came into being in the 70's, not the 60's.

Earlier in the thread someone compared vintage Ferrari's (50's and 60's era) to chateaus. This is a good comparison and represents how Ferrari's were perceived by most people (especially Americans) at that time.

During the late 60's the Dino came out which was a Ferrari for a wider audience. From the Dino came the "3" series in the 70's which was more attainable than the 12 cylinder product. So the late 60's into the 70's was when Ferrari become popular with the young magazine readers.

Yes on both accounts. The impact Miami Vice had on the mass appeal of Ferrari's in America during that time is greatly underestimated.

The "super Ferrari's" (GTO and F40) "sealed the deal" in positioning Ferrari at the top of the performance automobile hierarchy.

The competition from Lamborghini did wonders for Ferrari. If the Miura had never existed the Boxer likely would have appeared much later in time. So Lamborghini made Ferrari better which increased the popularity of the marque.

Good questions.

-F

8. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I can't be on FChat if I have a negative opinion about some Ferraris? I can't be on a Religion forum if I am an agnostic? This is a place to discuss all points of view, not just the ones that appeal to you.

9. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    You didn't answer the question. Why is it worth your time?

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    We interrupt this bickering to bring you New York Times coverage of this topic:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/automobiles/autoreviews/01AUTO.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=automobiles

The key quote:

"Ferrari had 1,000 orders for the $650,000 Enzo after the car was unveiled in 2002, but the company stuck to its decision to build only 399 cars (plus one for the pope). By my math, that means it left $390,000,000 on the table in the name of exclusivity and almighty demand. With those 600 never-built Enzos, Ferrari essentially invested $390 million in its own legend."

Brilliant cars, brilliant marketing. Maybe it doesn't speak to the OP's question about the history of desirability, but probably at no time in its history has Ferrari been more coveted.

11. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Sure did. But good stuff, so I started a new thread called Ferrari vs Lambo to keep this discussion going.

12. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Well great for you. :) But I really think people like you an I are exceptions compared to the majority of our generation.

13. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    some of the best drivers in the world compete in D1GP and Formula D. drifting has risen to be among one of the most popular of motorsport events. as an avid fan, i encounter from time to time the haters of drifting. it's either one or the other. like F1. you either get it or you don't. so i can allow for that mentality as i don't care for F1 whatsoever.

14. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    In addition to the influence of Miami vice - how many will want a California Spyder because of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" If you figure the prime audience was about 15 years old when the movie came out (1986) and has been popular with the teens for a number of years, it ought to lead to an additional bump in Ferrari popularity. Whether everyone will want a 250 spyder - good luck - or become generally interested in Ferrari, it is hard to say.
    Something like the "Easy Rider" effect. Notice the choppers and Dennis Hopper/Peter Fonda look-a-likes, with the rag on their head instead of a helmet and the appropriate clothes. A lot fatter, and grayer, but just the right age.

Cheers
    Warren

15. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    The same reason it's worth your time to disagree with me.

16. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    good point and as a side trivial note: that ferris bueller car was fake. was not a real ferrari, btw. such is hollywood. sure had me fooled until i saw a documentary on the making-of.

17. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    No, not the same reason, so far I've invested only 2 or 3 posts to do that. You've invested over 650 posts over a longer period of time. Once again, the question is why?

To me, it is illogical for you to take the time to post anti-Ferrari opinions on a website that is, by definition, a Ferrari hobbyist website. I can understand doing it if it was a general sports car website. And, I can see doing it a few times on this Ferrari based website, stirring the pot a little bit, but I don't see any longer term reward in it for you. I was hoping you could state a basis for your motivation in doing such a large number of negative posts, perhaps a reason that made sense that I had not thought of. It doesn't matter that much to me, I just thought I would ask the question.

18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    You've already been banned at least twice this year for being trollish as in the above quote.

You're welcome to make intelligent critiques about Ferraris; but persistent, overly broad and unproven negative statements, that can only serve to be disruptive, about Ferraris, Ferrari owners or Ferrari fans will quickly get you banned again.

This is a Ferrari fan site. The rules of this site do not support your contention that you can spew bilge at will.

19. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I share your curiosity, toggie. The Audiman likes Porsches, too...

He only posts negative. It's called a T R O L L. Probably motivated by an acute combination of Ferrari ignorance and envy, together with way too much free time.

20. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Unproven negative statements? LOL. This isn't a court room, it's a place where people exchange opinion. Whether or not you agree with my opinion is your problem. If you can't stand seeing my nick, just block me and stop whining like a kid.

21. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I was just trying to understand where some of your negative comments toward Ferraris and Ferrari owners were coming from.

BTW, I share some of your opinions on the merits of owning a Lamborghini or Porsche. I have never owned either, but find the Lambo cars to be excitiing and, I agree with you, the Porsche 911 is one of the few real sports cars that could be used as a practical daily driver (in terms of reliability). I've owned three Ferraris so far (328, 360, 430), and enjoyed each of them very much. Have you ever owned a Ferrari? If not, I'd recommend it. Granted, they are not perfect cars, but they are great cars.

22. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I find it just the opposite. Ferrari owners that I have met are pretty welcoming, even at the very highest end of price. I met an owner at this year's Cavallino that owns several high end Ferraris and he not only took lots of time to discuss them, but he even let my daughter sit in his 2/3 scale 1952 Ferrari to get a picture behind the wheel. The first event I attended was in Boca Raton and afterwards my wife and I both felt releived to find the owners all to be very friendly and welcoming to us. Even the CEO who had just purchased a 612. It was the opposite of our experience with a boating club where all the members seemed interested in was talking about how big their boat is, and how big their next one will be. Maybe you need to come to Florida to see some better owners. Are you in the New York area?
    :)
    BT

23. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I would say so. Raising the public's awareness of exotic sports cars leads all the brands to more desirability. I know when I was a teenager I thought the Countach was the ultimate car. Then my dad got a few Ferraris and I thought the Boxer was the ultimate. then we got a testarossa and I knew that would be the best car ever. And it was! Now we have the Ginetta G20 ;)
    :D
    BT