Pantera, Long Island PPI ? | FerrariChat

Pantera, Long Island PPI ?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by thecarreaper, Jun 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i have agreed to buy a Pantera located on Long island, and would like to know if anyone has any recommendations for a shop.

all i am actually concerned about is rust in the welds and fold of the frame underneath. not really to concerned about much else if it runs and drives.

if someone here has a Pantera and could look over the car, that would be even better.

i think the owner will do a test ride to show the trans axle / syncros are serviceable.

i joined a Pantera Forum, but i wanted to ask here first.

thank you,

Michael M.

2. lowmileage

lowmileage Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
  3. craig mac

craig mac Rookie

Oct 27, 2005
    bellmore ny 11710
    Full Name:
    craig mccarville
    There is a shop in Freeport, Long Island, H.R.E. Motorcars, Bill Andrews, 516-378-5461 he actually specializes in Cobra and GT 40's---but i think he is very familiar with Panteras-

4. MattF NYMC

MattF NYMC Formula 3

Oct 26, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matt Farah
    I second Bill Andrews. He has done great work on several of our club member's cobras.

5. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thank you,

the purchase is contingent on the body on frame being serviceable. i don't expect it to be immaculate, but i don't want a $40k bondo buggy either.

:)

i would love a quality GT40...... :)

6. cmbb328

cmbb328 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Craig Balaban
    I highly recommend Doug Pirrone at Berlinetta Motorcars in Huntington. They have moved to a new location. Call the shop at 631-423-1010 for directions.

Good luck with the car!

Craig

7. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I second Doug Pirrone at Berlinetta for the PPI. He has done hundreds of these over the years, including many for people on this forum.

Andy

8. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    where's his new shop? His website was of no use. I drive by the old shop on 25a all the time and I was wondering if he retired.

9. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    I also think that HRE motor cars here in Freeport would be the place,he specializes in Fords and he has built one hell of a GT4 back in the day.Bill is a great guy and has helped me with my GT4, I have to go there soon to return some tools he lent me,Guys like him are few and far between, and Panteras are really cool , Good Luck

10. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thank you, the car turned out to have minor rust and body issues from an old restoration . this was acceptable, but the car has a bad 2nd gear syncro and the transaxle is not only expensive to rebuild, but there is a bit of a wait time to get all the parts and get the car on the road again. for $37k i would rather find a pantera that i can get in and drive. his car is worth maybe $25k to me, and cash is king. i am in no hurry.

i am really annoyed by the fact Pantera prices are all over the place. its nice to customize your car, but i may not like what you like. now so many of the cars are either show cars for the nose bleed concours nerds, or freaking loud race cars that will surely land me un wanted attention from the local law enforcement.

i just want a damn pantera to " drive ". a " little " loud and fast is ok, there must be a balanced car out there. the one in Arkansas may be viable.

thanks for all the replies. i will pass on this one unless it becomes really cheap!

:cool:

11. Leweyb

Leweyb Karting

Apr 24, 2004
    East Hampton
    I think we still have some pantera parts in storage, let me know if you need anything. If you're going to tweak it at all, I would recommend dropping in a 351Boss Cleveland, the factory motors crank mains can't take the fun you'll want to put them through. We mated 4 webers on a high rise.

12. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    That's the nice thing about mating American Muscle in an Italian body.... you can mod the heck out of the engine and still have a gorgeous body.

13. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    pm sent. :)