Newer Porsche vs. Older Ferrari | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Newer Porsche vs. Older Ferrari

Discussion in '308/328' started by davew, Jun 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    :)

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    This is my weapon of choice as well....except I have a man's color :D

Ferrari guys are telling me to sell it and get a better Ferrari (my target is a Mondial on the low $$ side to a 355) but they just don't understand what great cars Turbos are.......I love getting on it, hearing the turbos sing....and blowing everything else off the road :)

3. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Sam,

After all of these posts about Porsche, I had to bring in my wifes Boxster for service, and they had a Mettalic Blue with Tan interior on the floor. Loved it so much, I bought it. My silver one is at Roslyn, if you want to check it out. 2004 with 17,000 miles and in great condition. If your interested, call Evan (owner) and tell him that your my friend and want to see the Boxster that I just traded in. If you want, I can put a call into him. Let me know. What he told me is that Silver (blue interior), is the number one color for Boxster so it won't last long.

Gary

4. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My favorite 911 is the 993 but it really looks old next to the 997.

5. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thanks for looking out for me! Gotta sell mine first...

6. mambodave

mambodave Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think cars are for 2 different purposes... the turbo is for handing arrogant 355 and 360 dudes there asses... (SOME..not all so dont send me hate mail. )

the 308 is for crusiing around town in class.

I never get a second look in the turbo....not like the 308 was where i would get mobbed.

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You need a more ferocious exhaust. When my car goes by, mothers grab their children to keep them away from the uber monster

8. dpardyferrari

dpardyferrari Karting

Aug 7, 2002
    Brunswick Maine
    Full Name:
    Darrell Pardy
    Before buying my 308 I had the opportunity to drive a 911. In every way the 911 is a better car than my 308. It is faster, has better breaking, comparable handling etc....

However it just did not feel like an exotic! There are four Porches on my street alone! They are everywhere. The Ferrari is an exotic, and yes at times a pain in the ass from a maintenance point of view but be philosophical have a nice glass of Italian wine and toast a car that has a true soul....

9. regisgtb4

regisgtb4 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 20, 2007
    tx
    Full Name:
    willis
    Lemmon lovers get in your cayennes and get lost.Ferrari, only,Alfa if thats all you can swing,Fiat if your 16.Hondas are way better than stuttbarf as daily racers,so get a civic and a 599 and reconsider how much you l*** that ass sender

10. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    #85 davew, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks to all for your input. I began this thread 4 years ago when I was thinking of buying either a newer Porsche or a 308 Ferrari. I thought I would let everyone know what my decision was:

I decided to buy - a boat. A month or so after posting on this thread I was on vacation at the beach with my family. I was seriously considering making an offer on a 1984 308 when we had a rainy day and I found myself with some time on my hands. Long story short I decided to buy a 17' Boston Whaler that my family and I have greatly enjoyed ever since. The boat has provided an opportunity for much great family time. But as you all know, the car bug did not go away for long.

In 2009 I was offerred a 2005 Boxster S by the BMW dealer I know well. I bought it and thouroughly enjoyed it for almost 3 years. I think it was the perfect weekend sports car - quick, fun to drive and very reliable. The Ferrari bug did not go away, however so about 2 months ago I traded the Boxster for a 1987 328 with 17.5k miles, s/n 69233 (if anyone has any info. regarding this particular car please let me know). The Ferrari is, to me, the realization of something I have long wanted to own.

The Ferrari is a unique car to drive in terms of the sounds, the ergonomics, and the vintage feel (25 years old now). I love the look and the heritage, however I still have an uneasy feeling about what the cost of ownership will be. I am prepared to spend some.money as time goes on, but just hope it does not become a nightmare. In regard to comparision to the Porsche, I think you all have summed it up pretty well.

I will say that the Boxster S is a great driver's car. It does not have the rarity of a 911, nor the raw performance, but it is a very fun, great handling car. (The interior is also quite similar to that of the 911) I have said that once I get the Ferrari out of my system I will buy another Porsche. (Or pay for my children's education). The question is if or when I will ever tire of the Ferrari. I hope to keep it for a long time.

11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Fantastic buy. The 328 is one of the most if not the most robust Ferrari ever made. Enjoy her in good health. Cheers

12. BNSC100

BNSC100 Karting

May 28, 2009
    SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have done the boxsrer route (still have/enjoy it) and 2 years ago got a 328. I definately consider myself fortunate to have been able to enjoy both experiences.. Glad you could too.

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Congratulations on the purchase. You may have some age related items to take care of over time, but generally it should be a fantastic car. I've put 12000 miles on my 3.2 Mondial this year with no issues. Same eng/trans.

Good roundabout story as well. Glad it's been all good for you.