575 F1 Clutch problem? | FerrariChat

575 F1 Clutch problem?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Dan_London, Jun 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Had to back the car up a hill the other day for a long way and there was a truly horrible burning smell afterwards.

I'm thinking the process may have badly worn out the clutch as now, whilst the forward changes seem fine, reversing up even slight hills requires way too many revs as (I think) the clutch just slips and slips. I've no confidence it would backup a steep hill at all.

Be grateful for thoughts/experience on this before my dealer rubs his hands with glee and my wallet weeps. Is this the classic sign of a terminal clutch or could it be even worse?

The car's an 04 F1 with about 14k miles.

Dan

2. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    sounds like a clutch to me.
    Find a good independed, there are lots in the UK, should be about 1/2 dealer price. Good luck

3. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Are there any data to suggest what the expected clutch life is for an f1 575 that is not abused?

4. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    I was told they lasted 20,000 miles with an F1 or more.

5. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Since my post I've had no issues with it, could the clutch have self-adjusted to compensate for wear?

6. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    Reversing uphill is usually accompanied by some burning smell. My car always feels reluctant to reverse uphill and requiring revs - even when the clutch is new

The F1 is is self learning and self adjusting so it could be your answer

My clutch had to be replaced at 16,000. I could have carried on for a little longer at the risk of wearing of the flywheel as well so could not see a point.

7. bayareaferrari

bayareaferrari Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    Backing up hill tends to create a bit of this smell. Put the car in 6th gear at 35-40mph and press the gas pedal down..that will tell you if your clutch is slipping. You do tend to get some smell from backing up steap hills..

8. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Well it passes that test so I guess I can stop worrying :) Many thanks for all your thoughts chaps!

The June monsoon has now stopped here so I'm finally getting some very enjoyable driving done :D