Ferrari Red vs Black vs White vs Blue vs ?? | FerrariChat

Ferrari Red vs Black vs White vs Blue vs ??

Discussion in '308/328' started by PittsS2APilot, Jul 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It would appear red is the most popular color for Ferrari especially the 308 series. Im sure the Ferrari Factory racing has a lot to do with colors. And after the Magnum PI the most wanted color, I'm guessing has been Red? Red, Black, White and Blue examples can be found on the net very easily but what "if any" other factory colors are there? Did anyone try any "custom" colors that turned out to be a disaster? Did the factory play with the color back in the 70's and 80's? What factor if any does color play in re-sale?

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There were actually many standard colors offered - you can get the full list in Keith Bluemel's Original Ferrari V8 book. There were various blues (from blu sera to azurro), grey, different greens, orange reds, red reds, marrone (kind of an earth tone metallic), silver, multiple different yellows, etc.

Red was an extremely popular sports car color in the '70s and into the '80s, so yes, that, the Italian racing color, and Magnum P.I. had a lot to do with most of them being red.

Red is the easy resale color, and some of the bizarre colors really hurt resale. So, red is 'safe' and very common. I think black is also 'safe', though less common. On the downside, bringing a red 308 or 328 to an FOC or FCA event is kind of a 'me-too' affair, if you're into the show scene. I regularly park in a sea of red 308/328s at these events -- it's almost a relief to see a 'prugna' 308...

I wanted blu sera or nero metallico when I was looking for a 308/328, and was willing to pay a bit more to get those colors. So, in my case, red made the car less valuable. But ultimately buy what you love.

If it's your first Ferrari, and there is honestly a chance you'll 'get the Ferrari thing out of your system' and go back to more rational cars, I would avoid the taupes, purples, greens, etc. Red is a good choice the first time out, because if you decide Ferrari isn't for you you have a commodity that can be sold sight unseen.

4. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Getting a quote from a dealer looking to buy my Mondial he told me it was worth more, simply because it was Red.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave

Try selling a red 400/412 series. It is one of the models that red is a resale killer.

6. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Good point. I think the OP was mostly talking 308/328, but also for the 550/575M I'd guess red isn't much in demand.

7. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I've often looked at black for my QV as an alternative to the resale red due to the fantastic look it gives to your car but worry about the goons who can't see it during the day time having even more trouble with it at night.

Any issues driving the car at night ??

8. Giallo

Giallo Karting

May 31, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Barry
    I really wanted a yellow one - I've too many red ones around, and I think the yellow brings out the curves better. Ended up buying mine in NYC and driving it home to Portland instead of buying a red one here.

Don't think anyone's mentioned the "boxer" paint option in this thread, yet. You could also get a two-tone paint job, with the entire lower half (third?) of the car painted black.

9. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    I agree. The red Mondials I was looking at were at higher asking prices than the Grigio Mondial I purchased. I have often heard that non-red Ferraris don't command as much money, and red interiors make the care almost un-sellable. That might be true as I got a very good deal on my Mondial.

Bob

10. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

ALUMINUMYELLOW328 Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    #10 ALUMINUMYELLOW328, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I Concur as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. surfermark

surfermark Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Mill Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have always been a fan of the Red/Tan 328....it just looks awesome. However, I now find myself being drawn to Black 328s....Which to me was unimaginable just a year ago.....I also love the Blue 328s as well.....and there have been some interesting colors where you just shake your head and say what the F*ck was the painter at Ferrari thinking with that one! Ah....to much wine the night before must be the only answer.

12. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I think that the red/tan thing is for first Ferrari buyers. I initially wanted red/tan, but found my beautiful silver/blue Mondial. I enjoyed going to FCA events and the Concorso and being one of the few cars that wasn't red. If you notice, the newer, much more expensive cars are more custom and fewer are red/tan or red/black than during the 308/328 run. I will say that when I was trying to sell my silver/blue car, there were a number of potential suitors that said they would not consider the car because of the color combination.

13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  14. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    I had a Blanco 348 Spyder and whenever we went to meets, it was usualy the only white car there.
    I loved having a different car, and I never got the attitude treatment that often comes with the red cars, never worried that some brat would key the car. The kids still loved red ones best though.

I'm actually now looking for a Blanco 328 GTS, or maybe a 355spyder, they are rare and sometimes cost less (so little that you won't notice the differance though) While it is easier to sell a rosso car, and black is very popular right now, those colors are just so well...common.

When you see the new two tone 612 and 599's and the older 250's you see that F-Car owens are too getting bored with just rosso.

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've wondered about that.

Also, maybe it's my personality, but I like the subtler hues on the 308/328 just because the design is iconic. Everyone and his mom knows that a 308/328 is a Ferrari, but the stereotype is that they're red. I like that people see my 328 and it rattles their frame of reference a bit - here's a Ferrari owner who isn't screaming for attention...

Also I think red is in a 'down' cycle as far as popularity as a color for cars. I've noticed more metallic colors on the 360/F430. Ferrari are reading the market just like Porsche, Aston, etc., and color their cars accordingly.

16. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #16 dave80gtsi, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006